Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Can we have a poll up to see how people think this will go? A simple yes/no to will it go through.

I’m firmly in the no camp FWIW.

Said No all along (other than for a couple of days of false hope when NUFC.com chirped up) so I'm sticking with that.

Not really arsed either way now anyway. Totally bored with it all.

Government already said twice they won’t intervene, last few days the stories are getting desperate.

They might need to intervene for the takeover to go through. The PL board is seemingly already in Qatar's pocket

I doubt the government will intervene and block the deal, Saudi spends billions in the UK every year and they won’t want to piss the Saudis off. If anything they are likely to lean on the PL to let the deal go through, not that anyone would know about it.

Government already said twice they won’t intervene, last few days the stories are getting desperate.

They might need to intervene for the takeover to go through. The PL board is seemingly already in Qatar's pocket

What evidence do you have to suggest that "The PL board is seemingly already in Qatar's pocket"?

They've already bought FIFA with its 100s of delegates. I'm sure influencing several anonymous members of the PL board to stop (an already unpopular) takeover of a club no one cares about, is well within their powers.

Qatar's foreign policy is based on such excersizes in soft power. And they already have а multi-billion relationship with the PL.

What MBS is attempting to do now - diversify through PIF, the Qatari's have been doing since the 90s. They kick Saudi's ass left, right and center right now and I think this failed takeover would be another small win in their economic war.

So none then? And if it goes through, are they still in Qatar's pocket?

All the delay is because of Qatar's involvement. People surely can spot that.. or are we into the 3rd month of checks, cause the PL cannot afford to hire lawyers and economists?

So no actual evidence then?

A rejection on the basis of unproven piracy concerns would be enough for me.

I don't have evidence of corruption on FIFA either.. anybody gonna claim that the WC is hosted in the desert due to footballing reasons?

Can we have a poll up to see how people think this will go? A simple yes/no to will it go through.

I’m firmly in the no camp FWIW.

Said No all along (other than for a couple of days of false hope when NUFC.com chirped up) so I'm sticking with that.

Not really arsed either way now anyway. Totally bored with it all.

Think you are kidding yourself tbh. I am very arsed. Have devoted a huge amount of emotional energy once again following this saga, just like I did last year. And even though I feel certain of what is coming I am still dreading the heartbreak of experiencing it fall through. Just hope I can move on fairly swiftly and forget about football altogether.

Saudi haven’t done anything worse than what most other nations have done historically, they were just stupid enough to get caught in the act where Khashoggi was concerned.

The number of countries who have murdered journalists is quite short - and the list of those who have dismembered journalists shorter still. Let's not p*ss on our legs and say it's raining.

I’d argue that the 2007 video that Wikileaks put out of the Americans killing several journalists and civilians and laughing about it was equally as chilling.

The USA and the UK for that matter have far more blood on their hands than Saudi do overall. So let’s not sit up on some moral high horse.

I’m not saying we should condone any of it by the way, we shouldn’t, but if you’re going to criticise one nation right now you should also be able to turn that  magnifying glass on others too.

None of the other nations are buying us. If they were you'd see exactly the same objection to it from exactly the same people.

You might be right, but technically we aren't being bought by a nation, it's an investment fund which is co-buying NUFC alongside the Ruebens and Staveley's firm. You could quite rightly argue that this is just technical waffle, but then you could question Man City's and Chelsea's ownerships as well. By all means we can have protests, but this has been going on for so long now, it is barely worth bothering about for most of us.

Man City and Chelsea's ownership has been questioned plenty of times. I agree on the very last part though, I don't think anyone's intending to stage a protest where they're representing about 2% of the fan base though. :lol: I was just replying to make the point that whichever other comparatively bad regime you want to choose, the same objections would still be there if they were in to buy us.

Werent the UK and Saudi arms deals already ruled illegal and stopped?

If so, that excuse is hardly relevant anymore.

Not in December 2019.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-saudi-arabia-arms-sales-yemen-war-weapons-treaty-oxfam-a9258166.html

In June 2019, the UK government suspended arms to Saudi Arabia and its partners after the Court of Appeal found it had approved the export of weapons without assessing whether the Saudi-led coalition had broken international law.

Saudi haven’t done anything worse than what most other nations have done historically, they were just stupid enough to get caught in the act where Khashoggi was concerned.

The number of countries who have murdered journalists is quite short - and the list of those who have dismembered journalists shorter still. Let's not p*ss on our legs and say it's raining.

I’d argue that the 2007 video that Wikileaks put out of the Americans killing several journalists and civilians and laughing about it was equally as chilling.

The USA and the UK for that matter have far more blood on their hands than Saudi do overall. So let’s not sit up on some moral high horse.

I’m not saying we should condone any of it by the way, we shouldn’t, but if you’re going to criticise one nation right now you should also be able to turn that  magnifying glass on others too.

None of the other nations are buying us. If they were you'd see exactly the same objection to it from exactly the same people.

You might be right, but technically we aren't being bought by a nation, it's an investment fund which is co-buying NUFC alongside the Ruebens and Staveley's firm. You could quite rightly argue that this is just technical waffle, but then you could question Man City's and Chelsea's ownerships as well. By all means we can have protests, but this has been going on for so long now, it is barely worth bothering about for most of us.

Man City and Chelsea's ownership has been questioned plenty of times. I agree on the very last part though, I don't think anyone's intending to stage a protest where they're representing about 2% of the fan base though. :lol: I was just replying to make the point that whichever other comparatively bad regime you want to choose, the same objections would still be there if they were in to buy us.

I know City and Chelsea's ownership has been questioned, I am just saying that it doesn't really mean that much any more since the PL stopped caring about ethical positions a long time ago. It's the main reason I don't really give much thought to it either.

people grousing about americans is what sustains me, howay the hedge fund lads

We love the Americans actually. We have sustained by Netflix and prior to that, improbable cartoons by Disney for the past century, we just politely ask that you keep your investment funds at bay while there is any prospect of us being bought out by middle eastern buyers who will spend billions on blowing American owned clubs out of the water.  :coolsmiley:

im past caring now, football with closed doors for the forseeable doesn,t interest me 1 bit,just  look forward to it getting back to normal "the big 6"going through the motions year after year, nufc content with bottom half finnishes and the pathetic journalists happy for the circus which is nufc to be just that,rehashing the same drivel over fakeovers time and time again :dave:

im past caring now, football with closed doors for the forseeable doesn,t interest me 1 bit,just  look forward to it getting back to normal "the big 6"going through the motions year after year, nufc content with bottom half finnishes and the pathetic journalists happy for the circus which is nufc to be just that,rehashing the same drivel over fakeovers time and time again :dave:

Guarantee you will be posting about football/NUFC next season if the take over does not happen.

Who the hell would the PL have to answer to legally if they pass it through?

The whole "must be legally watertight" stuff sounds like a prep for a challenge from the buyers IMO.