Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

I have to say I have always thought that this commonly floated idea, that the PL could be hammered legally if they rejected it, to be founded on nothing whatsoever. It just seems that someone on the internet floated the idea and then everyone else ran with it. I also think there would be very little the buyers could do if they are turned away so, as irritating as Penn's negativity is to witness, he is probably right about this.

As someone pointed out earlier, if there was little the buyers could do if turned down, this would have been rejected months ago

Guest chopey

The premier league dont give a hoot about Qatar but they do care about their money and the future TV deal. Sky and BT have already said the next deal will be for less money so that cash will need to be made up from overseas.

The premier league know that having a Saudi owned club as one its 20 members will mean huge completion for TV rights with both the Euros and World cup in the next few years interest in football will be massive, the premier league can not afford to rule out this deal and side with Qatar and they would be fools to do so.

The delay is about TV rights, that is sorted.

Deals done man.

Just a mad thought to the start the day, if premier league knocked backed deal is there anything to stop pif still legally purchasing the club ?

What would be the fall out ?

Would they expel us from the league and demote us to championship ?

Could they complete the purchase and threaten to join the Scottish league ?

Most bidders would be reliant on tv cash from premier league, but these lads could afford to f#%k premier league off and take repercussions.

My point at the end of the day I couldn’t give a flying f about the premier league anymore if they knock this back. If there was a legal route for them to still purchase club, and play in another league I’d take it.

So whilst the premier league might think their god here and just care about beins cash, how would they feel about a future with NUFC playing in Scotland.

Far fetched maybe but trips to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee wouldn’t be that bad. Hell they could get the mackems and boro to join and we could have regular derbies to.

Bottom line for me is if this is knocked back we are basically being told your only here to make up numbers, and I say f#%k that.

We've done it people, close the thread, we've hit rock bottom.

The premier league dont give a hoot about Qatar but they do care about their money and the future TV deal. Sky and BT have already said the next deal will be for less money so that cash will need to be made up from overseas.

The premier league know that having a Saudi owned club as one its 20 members will mean huge completion for TV rights with both the Euros and World cup in the next few years interest in football will be massive, the premier league can not afford to rule out this deal and side with Qatar and they would be fools to do so.

The delay is about TV rights, that is sorted.

Deals done man.

I think that may have been a big mistake from bein on Wednesday, they also said they would be bidding less next time.

Hopefully their threat to not bid at all hasn’t unnerved the premier league though. I would imagine that’s been their main threat which is causing pressure from other clubs.

We’ve just got to hope the premier league can see through their bluster, at the end of the day bein need the premier league possibly more.

The premier league need to show balls, if bein are allowed to dictate this decision it’ll look ever more like Qatari bribery winning the day.

Just a mad thought to the start the day, if premier league knocked backed deal is there anything to stop pif still legally purchasing the club ?

Most bidders would be reliant on tv cash from premier league, but these lads could afford to f#%k premier league off and take repercussions.

My point at the end of the day I couldn’t give a flying f about the premier league anymore if they knock this back. If there was a legal route for them to still purchase club, and play in another league I’d take it.

So whilst the premier league might think their god here and just care about beins cash, how would they feel about a future with NUFC playing in Scotland.

Far fetched maybe but trips to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee wouldn’t be that bad. Hell they could get the mackems and boro to join and we could have regular derbies to.

Bottom line for me is if this is knocked back we are basically being told your only here to make up numbers, and I say f#%k that.

Do I get a trophy ?

Nothing wrong with a bit of out of the box thinking ?

It’s Thurs.. Friday now, so yet another week in agony

How’s your Saturday going so far?

You could tell me it was Saturday and I wouldn’t know, my shift pattern combined with the lockdown etc means I never know what day it is.

I have to say I have always thought that this commonly floated idea, that the PL could be hammered legally if they rejected it, to be founded on nothing whatsoever. It just seems that someone on the internet floated the idea and then everyone else ran with it. I also think there would be very little the buyers could do if they are turned away so, as irritating as Penn's negativity is to witness, he is probably right about this.

As someone pointed out earlier, if there was little the buyers could do if turned down, this would have been rejected months ago

Not necessarily. I have no doubt that they do want to pass it through but they know that if they do have to reject it then there will be no legal repercussions for them.

Based on absolutely no insider knowledge at all, I think the deal will be approved (no idea when though). I think it will be approved but will be dependent on some other deal/assurance being agreed/provided, which is what is taking the time to put together.

I honestly can't see them taking this amount of time and then coming back with a 'no', I'm taking the extra time as a good sign, but you never know!

Do I get a trophy ?

Moving Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro to the Scottish league......that's out of your box thinking

Based on absolutely no insider knowledge at all, I think the deal will be approved (no idea when though). I think it will be approved but will be dependent on some other deal/assurance being agreed/provided, which is what is taking the time to put together.

I honestly can't see them taking this amount of time and then coming back with a 'no', I'm taking the extra time as a good sign, but you never know!

I think the time it's taking is a positive as well. I'm hoping they're are ironing some things out and getting assurances so they can approve the deal and look good.

Do I get a trophy ?

Moving Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro to the Scottish league......that's out of your box thinking

Believe it or not back in the 90’s this idea got floated around the time John Hall assumed control of club. The premier league had been formed and we were still in the old 2nd division.

There was talk we could be frozen out of premier league and it would be a closed shop.

The story was in the local Sunday Sun, obviously it never went anywhere.

But as mad as it sounds, anything appeals to me rather than a Mike Ashley future in the sterile top 6 obsessed premier league.

Us and Sunderland were actually invited to join the Scottish Premier League back in 1992. Boro weren't as they were already in the English Premier League but us and the Mackems were both languishing in te 2nd tier. Was a big Sunday Sun exclusive at the time with the Chief Executive of the SPL saying "Newcastle and Sunderland haven't been invited to join the new English Premier League but they are more than welcome to join ours!"

Scottish football was a lot stronger than it is now and away trips to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee would have been interesting (home games v Hamilton and St Mirren not so much so) but nothing was ever going to come of that!

I agree with this. It's simply up to the buyer to restructure the deal in such way to pass the test, which should be pretty easy for anybody with clean money. In our case - if the funding comes from some anonymous 20-year old Saudi royal family member, there's little the PL/BeIN can do.

That's not what MBS wants from this investment though. Our potential success must carry the flag of their 2030 vision. It's extremely unlikely that they'll settle for some form of shadow investment.

Still as the PL rules state, PL's decision can be challenged as a part of the test... fuck that, I'm already bored of my ramblings on the subject and the amount of fucking time it takes for the fucking PL to make their mind up

Hammered legally is one thing, I don't know about that.  But  when you're dealing with big money and large companies there can always be legal challenges.  Something like the owners/directors test could be challenged, especially if it's seen that they haven't stuck to the rules or their own test.  Other Football related rules that aren't law have stuck for a long time before falling to legal cases. like freedom of movement for out of contract players way back.  Also financial rules that leagues or body's have placed on clubs have been taken to court in the past.  Not sure people are saying it's a guaranteed win, but the buyers and sellers could certainly give it a good go I'm sure.

if someone wants to come into ur store and says look i want to spend a shitload of cash here your not going to tell them to fuck off are you...a new era is almost upon us ,chill man :cool:

Us and Sunderland were actually invited to join the Scottish Premier League back in 1992. Boro weren't as they were already in the English Premier League but us and the Mackems were both languishing in te 2nd tier. Was a big Sunday Sun exclusive at the time with the Chief Executive of the SPL saying "Newcastle and Sunderland haven't been invited to join the new English Premier League but they are more than welcome to join ours!"

Scottish football was a lot stronger than it is now and away trips to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee would have been interesting (home games v Hamilton and St Mirren not so much so) but nothing was ever going to come of that!

Yes this is the story I was trying to recall.

So many fucking fannies on here who can't cope with someone having a different opinion to them on the internet ffs. Penns got the right idea.

I have to admit that I feel that there's some substance in what Penn says. Possibly affected by that image of them being ITK with team news previously. Plus, every post is negative which not many of us what to hear.

The problem with Penn's posts in my opinion are that there's a massive amount of smugness to them with no intent to back them up or to engage in a conversation people.

Everyone's favourite Telegraph employed ray of sunshine appears to be attempting to backtrack a bit this morning.  Makes a claim that he's been "lost in translation" before subsequently stating in a round about way that he's right anyway.

Everyone's favourite Telegraph employed ray of sunshine appears to be attempting to backtrack a bit this morning.  Makes a claim that he's been "lost in translation" before subsequently stating in a round about way that he's right anyway.

The replies are delicious! He’s getting hammered! About time!

He does it every time. The guy is a weirdo. I've blocked him.

There's fuck all ITK in Penn's posts like and he gets abuse for the way he goes on in general.  Other posters are negative, to varying degrees, on the takeover but don't get abuse.

Speaking purely hypothetically here.... If the takeover by KSA goes through and a journalist has been strongly supporting and/or parroting the messaging of Qatar, then there is a high probability of that journalist finding themselves frozen out of the club.  They may find they have bet on the wrong horse and now there is a price to pay for that decision.  Consequently, if they believe that the takeover has been approved, they may start trying to walk things back along the lines of "I'm just a journalist, I only report what I am told" in an attempt to convince the new owner that it wasn't their fault.  It's the journalistic equivalent of "I was just following orders."