Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Did that not hit Greenwood's arm in the build up to the goal?

Thought Ronaldo has been poor all night in general play yet has scored 2 goals

He’s worked his socks off and scored two goals, he’s a CF and was their best attacking player, which is kind of his job. He’s unreal and I think people expect too much from him outside of scoring goals especially at his age now. 

I think the whole "and people say he's a problem for this Man United team!?!" is a bit simplistic like, you could easily argue that his insane goal contribution and him bailing them out is just papering over the problem and that good teams will continue to beat them. The longer they delude themselves and OGS stays there the better.

3 minutes ago, kisearch said:

I think the whole "and people say he's a problem for this Man United team!?!" is a bit simplistic like, you could easily argue that his insane goal contribution and him bailing them out is just papering over the problem and that good teams will continue to beat them. The longer they delude themselves and OGS stays there the better.

Yeah I mean the problem is quite obviously the manager. I understand the logic behind there being cons to having a 'luxury' player, or a maverick, or however you want to label the archetypal 'gifted player who doesn't fit into a team despite their unquestionable talent;' but it's Ronaldo ffs. Literally one of the most gifted players to ever grace the game and easily one of the most consistent centre-forwards in world football currently. He's no albatross, it was an incredible addition to the team. The manager's just rubbish. 

16 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah I mean the problem is quite obviously the manager. I understand the logic behind there being cons to having a 'luxury' player, or a maverick, or however you want to label the archetypal 'gifted player who doesn't fit into a team despite their unquestionable talent;' but it's Ronaldo ffs. Literally one of the most gifted players to ever grace the game and easily one of the most consistent centre-forwards in world football currently. He's no albatross, it was an incredible addition to the team. The manager's just rubbish. 

Yeah it's Ronaldo but saying that's that and him being in the team is only a positive thing and doesn't have any downsides elsewhere - like not being able to press from the front, fewer goals from other players, Fernandes's reduced influence, Greenwood not playing in the middle, Sancho not getting a look in - seems a bit simplistic when those things are a reality and he's having to bail them out against teams they should be thrashing. He's just obviously far, far too good to not start, but a better team would be using him less and reaping all the rewards imo

Edited by kisearch

Not going to bother reading through the recent posts but I expect:

1. Good posters just praising Ronaldo for the performance. 

2. Awful posters saying Ronaldo bailed out Ole and pretending they're happy as it keeps Ole in the job longer, as if the Man United are any relevance at all to Newcastle. There'll be at least one. 

All that can be said is what a bloody player. Special. 

Would have taken a draw away in Italy under any manager in our history by the way, and would have certainly taken being in this position in the group with two games left and a Young Boys game at home to qualify. 

Still trust the club to make the right decision. City on Saturday will be tense as fuck. 

6 minutes ago, kisearch said:

You're the one on the irrelevant Newcastle forum pal :lol:

This one is as old as the hills, doesn't make sense and is an example of an awful post. Don't be like this guy folks. 

14 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Yeah it's Ronaldo but saying that's that and him being in the team is only a positive thing and doesn't have any downsides elsewhere - like not being able to press from the front, fewer goals from other players, Fernandes's reduced influence, Greenwood not playing in the middle, Sancho not getting a look in - seems a bit simplistic when those things are a reality and he's having to bail them out against teams they should be thrashing. He's just obviously far, far too good to not start, but a better team would be using him less and reaping all the rewards imo

Why is Fernandes' influence reduced/Sancho not getting a look in when they play entirely different positions to Ronaldo? Not being arsey, not seen loads of ManU this season. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Why is Fernandes' influence reduced/Sancho not getting a look in when they play entirely different positions to Ronaldo? Not being arsey, not seen loads of ManU this season. 

Fernandes has 7 assists and a goal in our last 8 games, including a beautiful one tonight. His influence isn't reduced. At all. It's just a uneducated, incorrect assumption that is thrown around with no basis whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Fernandes has 7 assists and a goal in our last 8 games, including a beautiful one tonight. His influence isn't reduced. At all. It's just a uneducated, incorrect assumption that is thrown around with no basis whatsoever. 

Fair enough. What's the craic with Sancho? 

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Fair enough. What's the craic with Sancho? 

He's turned 21 this year and just moved from another league. I would call for patience. Disgusting money yes, English premium and all that, but give the kid a chance. He'll get tons of opportunities in this team. 

FWIW Greenwood very, very rarely played through the middle as well, and all of his best performances came from the right. The players missing out on minutes because of Ronaldo are Martial (who's career is all but over at us) and Cavani (gone in the summer). The 5-3-2 will see Cavani more involved mind. 

Edited by Froggy

9 minutes ago, Froggy said:

This one is as old as the hills, doesn't make sense and is an example of an awful post. Don't be like this guy folks. 

Stop talking about one of the world's biggest clubs in the other games thread everyone, this Man United fan who regularly posts on our Newcastle forum thinks that it's them that should be irrelevant to us. :lol: