Elliot Anderson (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

joeyt

10 hours ago, Conjo said:

If you decide to believe we got the upper reported price for him while simultaneously decide to believe we paid the lowest reported price for Odyssey I guess you could argue it was a good deal.

Was fuming over this on Saturday and yesterday, but if the club was seriously expecting a 10 point deduction if they breached PSR I have more understanding for how desperate the situation was. I was thinking we'd be risking at most 4 points based on Forests deduction.

If we assume the highest reported price for both then the fact is that the money leaving our balance sheet this year in this deal would be £2m at most with £35m coming in.  Giving us up to £200m spending this season based on this deal alone.  If we're conservative about it and want this deal to provide two years of installments on transfer spending we could still spend £100m based on this deal and we now have that second choice keeper we were looking for.

3 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

I doubt we did and liked his potential. But £35m for someone who’s 2nd choice, where that potential may not come, when we need to make first choice CB and RW signing, it’s a deal you can’t turn down. 

Indeed, we need to be smart traders going forward and unequivocally this is a good deal. 

16 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

I doubt we did and liked his potential. But £35m for someone who’s 2nd choice, where that potential may not come, when we need to make first choice CB and RW signing, it’s a deal you can’t turn down. 

I would think hes was more 3rd choice LCM and 4th or 5th choice Lw (when everyones fit) as you say a very good deal, if he wasnt a local wouldnt think anything of it at all.

8 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

("Newcastle really didn't want to sell him")

Would be interesting to go back through the thread and see if anyone has ever raved about the lad when he played for us.

I wish him all the best but I don’t think we’ve lost a super talent - I’d rather he didn’t go, but he’s not worth half the amount Forest paid atm. 

I'd say what we've done with Anderson is basically what we should be doing with our good youth players:

1. He goes out for a loan, gets a bit of experience (probably needed another one at a higher level tbf).

2. He provides cheap cover in the first team squad and gets a chance to show whether he's good enough.

3. By the age of 21/22 where a player really needs to be playing to develop and before he signs a bigger contract - if he's not looking to be regular starter quality then sell him if there's a good offer.

We get a good fee as he's a decent young player with top flight experience. He gets a chance to be a starter and develop more. Squad spot opens up for the next talented youngster to see if he'll be good enough.

Certainly wouldn't have been opposed to him staying as a squad player, but I'm taking £35 million - a crap goalie for a guy who was probably our 3rd/4th choice LW and 3rd choice LCM.

Edited by Checko

100%. Just we’ve been so starved of local talent, people will fairly be upset as it’s a local one going. But by end of this decade, you’d hope there’s plenty more, and it’s not like we’ve seen since 2008. Carroll - Dummett - Longstaff - Anderson. Miley the most recent. Like it’s a shocking conveyer belt of local talent that can only get better.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Would be interesting to go back through the thread and see if anyone has ever raved about the lad when he played for us.

I wish him all the best but I don’t think we’ve lost a super talent - I’d rather he didn’t go, but he’s not worth half the amount Forest paid atm. 

I think it's been more a case of people willing him to develop into a top player because he's a local lad. There's been little evidence on the pitch that he would have ever become more than a squad player for us.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Think I posted a few times he'd be a good quota-filler but don't see him ever being top drawer. Guess we'll see. 

£35m when the alternatives were selling a " purple"or a significant points deduction though was a no-brainer.

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think I posted a few times he'd be a good quota-filler but don't see him ever being top drawer. Guess we'll see. 

£35m when the alternatives were selling a " purple"or a significant points deduction though was a no-brainer.

I'm sure we'd have much rather kept him and Minteh as squad players for next season above Longstaff and Almiron. I know I would.

But there wasn't any real interest in those two, so can't really blame the club for selling better prospects and trying to get the best price possible.

Hopefully PSR and it's unintended consequences will be binned in the not too distant future.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Has he had much of chance in all honesty? His first season in the squad he got very few minute other than the odd cameo off the bench then last season much the same then got injured and I felt when he came back he was certainly showing glimpses but all and all I can’t say he got much of a chance.

in saying that Miley took his chance straight away 

Edited by gdm

1 hour ago, gdm said:

Has he had much of chance in all honesty? His first season in the squad he got very few minute other than the odd cameo off the bench then last season much the same then got injured and I felt when he came back he was certainly showing glimpses but all and all I can’t say he got much of a chance.

in saying that Miley took his chance straight away 

50+ appearances is a fair bite of the cherry by that age - though I agree that doesn’t equate to 50+ 90 mins.

His being a local lad bought him time, but in all honesty I wasn’t at all upset with the sale - especially at that price.  He didn’t look like he was about to kick on to me. 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

50+ appearances is a fair bite of the cherry by that age - though I agree that doesn’t equate to 50+ 90 mins.

His being a local lad bought him time, but in all honesty I wasn’t at all upset with the sale - especially at that price.  He didn’t look like he was about to kick on to me. 

No stats to hand but my recollection is many of those appearances for 5-10 off the bench. I’m not upset he’s gone purely because we have many midfield options and as I say Miley took his chance 

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Eddie raved about him. General opinion seemed to be that he was outstanding in training, and just needed to transfer it into real games. We might see that side of him at Forest if he becomes a starter. 

19 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Eddie raved about him. General opinion seemed to be that he was outstanding in training, and just needed to transfer it into real games. We might see that side of him at Forest if he becomes a starter. 

Eddie raves about everyone. I'm sure it was Ashworth pushing the Anderson bus.

20 minutes ago, madras said:

Eddie raves about everyone. I'm sure it was Ashworth pushing the Anderson bus.

Weirdly enough, on the forest forum where they were discussing Anderson someone remarked Eddie spoke highly of him.

To which another posted said he also spoke highly of shelvey, think that's just what Howe does [emoji38]

This nothing short of a brilliant deal for us. A shedload of money for someone who has shown nothing spectacular at all. 

Yes it might be sad to see a homegrown player leave, but even Matty Longstaff showed more promise before he faded to oblivion. If we can flog such an average player for so much once or twice a season we'll be well on our way.

Shame he didn't make it but if we want to be a big club we need to act like one and that means been ruthless, back in the good old Ashley days we were just happy if a player could kick the ball straight, our standards need to be set higher.

4 hours ago, Weezertron said:

Howe was unlikely to say he’s shite, and I heard that stuff about ‘brilliant in training’ re Ameobi for over a decade