Elliot Anderson

joeyt

I thought Billy did well. Had a good shot on goal too.

Its also interesting that hes another player new (ish) to the team who was knackered around the 60 minute mark. Howes required fitness levels are insane. Gonna be fun to see our summer signings adapt :lol:

51 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Any idea what type of injury he was carrying?

I reckon it was probably ankle-related as the very first thing he did when he came on v Brighton was go into a block challenge near the touch line and he came out of it limping quite heavily

For someone with almost no game time, who was playing with a knock, against a team that were parking the bus...he did alright. I wish he was in the championship this season..but we needed him in the end. He was kept around for cover in a situation like this. He didnt make any mistakes. I think he should be out on loan to a championship club next season or maybe if we are lucky we can loan him to a newly promoted team where he can get 10-15 games in at this level. Hard to say much about him in such limited minutes on the pitch. 

On 23/05/2023 at 04:15, Rich said:

Randomly ended up chatting with the club doctor and head physio well into the early hours last night, they said there's no way he should've been playing but he was insistent.

What a lad.

Is the injury from that tackle in the Brighton game?

Really like him. Hope goes out on loan for 6-12 months, but there's a PL player in there.

In an ideal World he would've spent this season out on loan, but it is what it is.

Edited by The Butcher

He's played in 22 matches for us this season. Couldn't quite believe that when I first saw it. Obviously some of those were only for a few minutes but still a large number of games.

No way is he going out on loan next season.

36 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

He's played in 22 matches for us this season. Couldn't quite believe that when I first saw it. Obviously some of those were only for a few minutes but still a large number of games.

Thats surprising. 22?! 

Why not a loan with an option to recall him? I think it would do wonders for his development. I'd prefer that over him hugging the end of the bench for 90% of the season. Cant imagine he gets anywhere close to 22 matches next season with the reinforcements we are due to sign. 

Played 618 minutes in all competitions, which is just under 7 games in total. Probably the only disappointment this season for me that he wasn't given more opportunities.

I think he would have played more but first half of the season seemed a bit of a write off due to him having a string of small injuries that kept knocking him back. 

Haven’t got the stats to hand but felt like the majority of his minutes came after the WC break once he stayed fit for a prolonged period.

He was also unlucky at times such as the liverpool game he started and would have played most if not all of the match, but popes red card meant he came off after 20ish minutes 

again he didn’t look out of place at all and I thought he managed to play the role a bit more like Howe would want him to this time. Got the assist and it was very Willock-esque play by overlapping the winger.

6 hours ago, Mazzy said:

For a total of 7 full 90 minutes. That's doing next to nothing for his development.

Garnacho is 2 years younger and got twice the game time.

Anderson needs serious game time to develop. He needs to go out on loan. I think the season has stalled his development. By reports - we are looking to sign 2 CMs so we'll be replacing his role in the squad anyway, so it's not like he's used the season to cement himself in the squad/role. He started the season 6th choice CM and maybe 3rd choice LW. We expect next season he'll be 7th choice CM.

Edited by The College Dropout

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

For a total of 7 full 90 minutes. That's doing next to nothing for his development.

Anderson needs serious game time to develop. He needs to go out on loan.

Absolutely no chance he goes out on loan.

Garnacho got twice the game time because Man Utd had a lot more games.

We should hopefully have a lot more games next season, and assuming he can stay fit, he’ll get a lot more game time.

Just now, SteV said:

Absolutely no chance he goes out on loan.

Garnacho got twice the game time because Man Utd had a lot more games.

We should hopefully have a lot more games next season, and assuming he can stay fit, he’ll get a lot more game time.

If we sign 2 CM's - would you want him to stay as 7th choice CM? Is that good for his development?

Garnacho is simply higher in the pecking order at Man U than Anderson is here. Garnacho got significantly more game time than Anderson in the PL despite missing a number of games through injury. And Anderon is due to drop even further in the pecking order. Anderson is set to play even less PL minutes next season.

14 minutes ago, Smal said:

again he didn’t look out of place at all and I thought he managed to play the role a bit more like Howe would want him to this time. Got the assist and it was very Willock-esque play by overlapping the winger.

He's done ok, definitely showed he can be given a role and will do a more than passing job as a first team squad player. But it's also a big step up at this level, and he's not found it as easy to dominate, which is fine at this stage of his career.

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Anderson needs serious game time to develop. He needs to go out on loan. I think the season has stalled his development. By reports - we are looking to sign 2 CMs so we'll be replacing his role in the squad anyway, so it's not like he's used the season to cement himself in the squad/role. He started the season 6th choice CM and maybe 3rd choice LW. We expect next season he'll be 7th choice CM.

If it was just 7x90 minutes I'd agree. 

He's been in around the team all season though, on the bench, training under Howe, getting games here and there, going on in games where we need a goal, games where we're ahead and holding on. That for me is more development than a season in the Championship. 

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If we sign 2 CM's - would you want him to stay as 7th choice CM? Is that good for his development?

Garnacho is simply higher in the pecking order at Man U than Anderson is here. Garnacho got significantly more game time than Anderson in the PL despite missing a number of games through injury. And Anderon is due to drop even further in the pecking order. Anderson is set to play even less PL minutes next season.

It doesn’t work like that though. Over the course of a season where we expect to play a lot more games, the likes of Joelinton and Bruno won’t be playing every single minute that they’re available, which has near enough been the case this season.

Not to mention the fact that his best/most impactful performance this season (Forest away) was in a more advanced position, so he could clearly end up getting minutes in that role too.

24 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If it was just 7x90 minutes I'd agree. 

He's been in around the team all season though, on the bench, training under Howe, getting games here and there, going on in games where we need a goal, games where we're ahead and holding on. That for me is more development than a season in the Championship. 

No it's not. IMO.

If we sign 2x CM he'll be loaned out anyway.

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

No it's not. IMO.

Say he went to Burnley or Sheff Utd last summer, played 40, got 20 goals and assists combined.

He'd still come back to Newcastle this summer at square one as he'd have to get the sort of match fitness to play in an Eddie Howe pressing team, learn how to play that system, etc. 

Him being here all year he's good to go when called upon. He's gained a shitload of matchday experience too. 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

No it's not. IMO.

There are pros and cons to each obviously but one point that should not be overlooked is the training we put our players through. See Gordon’s interview for the latest evidence of the demands. Anderson will clearly have benefitted from that.  

We need to find some clubs where players will go out on loan and not come back in worse shape than the rest of the squad.

14 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Say he went to Burnley or Sheff Utd last summer, played 40, got 20 goals and assists combined.

He'd still come back to Newcastle this summer at square one as he'd have to get the sort of match fitness to play in an Eddie Howe pressing team, learn how to play that system, etc. 

Him being here all year he's good to go when called upon. He's gained a shitload of matchday experience too. 

40 games, 20 G/A at age 20, is Mason Mount numbers.

That would suggest he's ready for regular Premier League football and would come in as one of the 2 CMs we seem to need. He would be a proper member of the first-team. Now, he's on the fringes and likely to be even more on the fringes next season if we recruit the numbers we expect.

It also proves he's likely to be a proper player and is at least a top-end Championship player ATM and likely a decent PL player in the future at a minimum.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

40 games, 20 G/A at age 20, is Mason Mount numbers.

That would suggest he's ready for regular Premier League football and would come in as one of the 2 CMs we seem to need. He would be a proper member of the first-team. Now, he's on the fringes and likely to be even more on the fringes next season if we recruit the numbers we expect.

But that's you only judging him on what we've seen. The coaching staff sees him every day. You're assuming we'll bring in two CMs, but maybe we only get one because they think he (or, less likely, Miley) is ready. Or maybe the second one is another youngster and we let those three fight for a role.

16 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

But that's you only judging him on what we've seen. The coaching staff sees him every day. You're assuming we'll bring in two CMs, but maybe we only get one because they think he (or, less likely, Miley) is ready. Or maybe the second one is another youngster and we let those three fight for a role.

If they thought he was ready for proper first-team football...they would've given him more first-team football this season. He was a distant last option in midfield and often in attack. 

It's like suggesting Targett will play a lot next season. No.. he's not that fancied and is likely to be upgraded and sold.

This is an assumption based on the links in the media