Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

Finished 13th and 10th with Sunderland, 44 and 47 points. He's actually done better in actual points there than he did here! Marginally... we are Sunderland 10 years ago really.

Least they had the foresight to get rid, but didn't follow up convincingly time and time again opting for short-term managers

Edited by nbthree3

I mean, it clearly isn't a dig at Bruce, not from Wilson anyway. Wilson probably quite likes Bruce, for all we know. It's more a humiliating reveal of Bruce's incompetence from a senior player; even better in a way cos it's completely honest. 

It's implicit though not a 'dig'. When your problems as a team stem from a lack of forethought and tactics don't be shocked when it's argued as criticism. Wouldn't be so bad if Bruce wasn't a thin skinned little bitch who needs little media bitches to stroke his fragile wittle ego.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I mean, it clearly isn't a dig at Bruce, not from Wilson anyway. Wilson probably quite likes Bruce, for all we know. It's more a humiliating reveal of Bruce's incompetence from a senior player; even better in a way cos it's completely honest. 

It's not meant to be a dig, but obviously it is in a backhanded sort of way. Which manager wants to be presented as not having much of a clue about tactics? No wonder his fanboy Lukey Luke is crying and threatening to go on holiday again. 

Bruce has been very lucky since he's been here, incredibly so really, the amount of games we have fluked a draw or win.

If that luck runs out for a season, and 3 teams aren't absolutely shite, we are 100% down.

Though there is the Jones factor i suppose.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

The luck ran out last season and then some; we still finished a country mile ahead of the drop. 

Anyone expecting/hoping for a terrible season needs to prepare themselves for more gaslighting from the media and more shit-eating grins from the clueless walloper in the dugout.

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The luck ran out last season and then some; we still finished a country mile ahead of the drop. 

Anyone expecting/hoping for a terrible season needs to prepare themselves for more gaslighting from the media and more shit-eating grins from the clueless walloper in the dugout.

Second half of the season it did,  i'm pretty sure we fluked quite a few points early on, Wolves away Spurs away spring to mind, got draws from set pieces that shouldn't have been, there were others, unless that was the season before.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

It's not meant to be a dig, but obviously it is in a backhanded sort of way. Which manager wants to be presented as not having much of a clue about tactics? No wonder his fanboy Lukey Luke is crying and threatening to go on holiday again. 

It's not a dig when the man himself takes great pride in not doing tactics.

Edited by Happinesstan

20 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't remember that, but I don't remember any details of NUFC matches so I will defer to you.

Everton away was his first game using it, won 2-0..Burnley away i think..but ASM changed that game when he came on.

It seemed to go to shit after a while, but did catch out opponents early on.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

I mean, are we really supposed to believe that Jones was appointed as a result of a request from Bruce?!  I just don't buy that at all. 

Mind, having said that I'm still pretty astounded that anybody at the club was proactive enough to both identify the need for a more tactical, forward thinking coach, and then actually go out and recruit someone.

1 hour ago, deejeck said:

I mean, are we really supposed to believe that Jones was appointed as a result of a request from Bruce?!  I just don't buy that at all. 

I suspect there’s a correlation between people that believe that and people that believed Henry Mauriss was legit.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Better hope Wilson stays fit over the majority of the season then. Because the only reason we finished as high as we did was Joe Willock's goals in the second half of the season, and it looks like we won't pay the fee to get him here again. Bruce is desperate to get him signed because he knows his horrendous football only works with someone who can score goals on the break. 

24 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I'm of the opinion Ashley really really doesn't want to sack Bruce so he was willing to do anything to keep him there, even if it meant bringing in a coach to essentially do his job.

I think Jones was brought in because Bruce was really struggling at that point, we had become bookies favourites to go down for a week or so. Jones was an insurance policy, and as a secondary coach won't have cost that much either. If the worst happened, Bruce could have been pushed and Jones promoted.