Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

Tbh, José, Carroll, Nolan and Barton were all central to our comfortable season last year. This is asking a LOT from the new players.

Wow. Last time I've said that relegation would be a strong possibility because the new players have to settle first and won't have the same kind of character as the lads like Barton and Nolan had, people said those comments were criminal. :lol:

They still are.

Too many good players here for us to be threatened by relegation. There's shitloads of turd in the league, too - i think we'll be nowhere near. Scandalous that we're even having to reassure ourselves, but there you go.

Still a five. Dont know how good we can be, nor how bad we can be. We have some matches were points should be in our reach the next weeks. Hopefully we can adjust it up to 1 - no chance after the 4-5 next games!

Lost another of last year's best players and strengthened a relegation rival at the same time.

+1 added onto the Ashley handicap

I'm sure you'd be delighted if we got relegated as it would vindicate your doom mongering, but if Barton is one of our best players I think we'll be okay losing that type of best player.

Guest Mantis

Of course we'll be fine.  We have Jonas and Tiote who rarely score, Shola's best tally in PL is 9 goals.  Even if Ba gets 15, it's leaving a fair few goals required of Cabaye, Raylor and Obertan/Marveaux to match the 56 of last season.  Cant see a problem there.

Of course we'll be fine.  We have Jonas and Tiote who rarely score, Shola's best tally in PL is 9 goals.  Even if Ba gets 15, it's leaving a fair few goals required of Cabaye, Raylor and Obertan/Marveaux to match the 56 of last season.  Cant see a problem there.

The general consensus seems to be that even if we don't score as many we'll simply concede fewer goals and that's how we'll progress. I'm unconvinced to say the least.

As long as a good striker, left back and right midfielder are signed before the transfer window deadline, we'll be fine. If not, anywhere between 12th-16th seems acceptable. Top 8 talk remains the exclusive preserve of crackheads and the mentally ill.

Guest Mantis

The general consensus seems to be that even if we don't score as many we'll simply concede fewer goals. I'm unconvinced to say the least.

Thats fine, if our 5 defenders stay fit for the next 36 games and dont get suspended.

The general consensus seems to be that even if we don't score as many we'll simply concede fewer goals. I'm unconvinced to say the least.

That's not my view. I'm hoping Marveaux, Ba and Ben Arfa will score goals, Gosling should get some and if we are struggling then Maybe Vukic and Sammy will get more chances to show what they can do. But we do need another striker in.

Premier League goals last season:

Carroll 12

Nolan 11

Ameobi 6

Lovenkrands 6

Best 6

Barton 4

Gutierrez 3

S.Taylor 3

Coloccini 2

Ben Arfa 1

Tiote 1

OGs 1

Total 56

No longer at the club: 27 (48%)

Assuming Lovenkrands won't be playing: 33 (59%)

Goal assists by players no longer at the club:

Barton 9

Carroll 5

Enrique 4

Nolan 2

Total 20

Assuming Lovenkrands won't be playing: 25 (yes, he got 5)

Huge amount of pressure on the new players to replace those goals, especially considering the defence has to date been weakened never mind strengthened. Fact is the margins are so small at the level we're playing at, I worry that assuming we will simply keep more possession in games, conceding less in the process is rather wishful thinking. We've certainly not shown much of a penchant for controlling the game and having a monopoly on passing the ball so far this season (and pre-season). I guess the opponents didn't help that like.

Oddly enough las season Cabaye got the same as Barton. 4 goals, 9 assists (previous season 15 goals, 11 assists).

Ba got 16 goals so that sorts out Carroll.

Hopefully between them Obertan, Marveaux, Bafra, and Gosling (plus breakthrough players like Abeid, Vucic and Sameobi) can come up the Nolan goals.

I think they might. :snod:

One thing I did notice was that after Sammy and Vukic came on we created a hatful of chances, most of which were badly squandered. The style of play will make a difference and Pardew needs to get it right.