QF4: England 4 (FOWWA) - 0 Ukraine

Disco

Just now, Yorkie said:

Yeah it's been minnows up to now. Liechtenstein in the last 16 was probably the easiest so far. 

Scotland (28th), Croatia (7th), Czech Republic (24th) and the Ukraine (16th) + a fairly shit version of Germany (9th). Numbers in parenthesis are their ranking on the FIFA ranking among the European nations.

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

We've played our local rivals, the last World Cup finalists, and Germany and all the history that involves. The Czechs are no push overs too given they beat the Dutch.

You've Greece'd your way through matches you should be dominating. If I was English I'd be loving it anyway as we'd be in a semi-final, so I understand the enthusiasm, but as a neutral, god damn. Thank fuck for the second half tonight. England has been a major disappointment for me. Again, as a neutral. I fully understand the English enthusiasm and I am happy for all my fellow N-Oers. You've controlled games fairly easily, it's just not been fun to watch. I've got no skin in this game so I just want to be entertained.

Edited by Kaizero

Difference between Southgate and the PFMs plain to see here btw. I still don’t think he’s the greatest manager but he’s perfect for this squad. Give Bruce this England squad, he’d have seen Sancho, Foden, Grealish, harped on about ‘front foot football’ before being turned over by Germany in the last 16.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Greece’d it. :lol:

Before this game you had scored less than Greece at the same stage in 2004 and had fewer shots on goal, as well as all your matches having fewer shots on goal (for both teams), so you've been even more boring.

Edited by Kaizero

1 minute ago, Joey Linton said:

Had to unhide some blocked content to see what you were talking about there. Imagine a Norwegian lecturing on dull football. Bitter or what? :lol:

You say this like we didn't, or don't know, we play shit football. There's a reason we never qualify anymore. We're absolute shit and horrid to watch and I feel bad for any neutral having to sit through a Norway match.

Edited by Kaizero

4 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Before this game you had scored less than Greece at the same stage in 2004 and had fewer shots on goal, as well as all your matches having fewer shots on goal (for both teams), so you've been even more boring.

"if you don't count all the games you've played so far...." 

Bore off mate. :lol:

Straight back onto ignore you go. 

Edited by Joey Linton

2 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

The ‘great’ Spain team that won the World Cup in 2010 only scored 8 all tournament and we’ve matched that with potentially two games to spare.

Denmark will be a big test like. We've done pretty much everything right so far, especially defensively, but a bit like the last World Cup, I still don't really feel like we've been fully tested. Germany were/are very average and Ukraine just rolled over tonight. 

Not 100% convinced but we're building some good momentum and improving with each match. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The ‘great’ Spain team that won the World Cup in 2010 only scored 8 all tournament and we’ve matched that with potentially two games to spare.

They were heavily criticized for being boring with their 80% ball possession tactics, though. They weren't attacking at all, they just hogged the ball so the matches died :lol: Hated watching Spain. That stuck with me as I dislike Spain heavily even today.

Edited by Kaizero

Honestly if it wasn't for the Germany result you could argue that England haven't been tested. But it's Germany in a knockout game, and we beat them well. Not the best German team there's ever been, but a team full of Champions League winners nonetheless. Mad how people want to write that off.

2 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

"if you don't count all the games you've played so far...." 

Bore off mate. :lol:

You have a horrid understanding of context. It follows the line that England hadn't been boring in this tournament, which you have, until the second half tonight. And even then you spent the last ten minutes passing the ball along the back four when you're four fucking goals up

Just now, Kaizero said:

You have a horrid understanding of context. It follows the line that England hadn't been boring in this tournament, which you have, until the second half tonight. And even then you spent the last ten minutes passing the ball along the back four when you're four fucking goals up

Why does being boring matter anyway? We’ve not looked under threat one bit all tournament. Other than the Scotland game we’ve done exactly what we’ve needed to do.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Why does being boring matter anyway? We’ve not looked under threat one bit all tournament. Other than the Scotland game we’ve done exactly what we’ve needed to do.

It doesn't matter to the English, and I've never said it did. I just said why I don't like this England version, as a neutral, and would prefer someone else to win - at the same time as acknowledging i fully believe you will win if you make the final. I don't get why there's an uproar, why the need to be defensive? Why not just say "yeah, I understand we're boring to a neutral viewer but I'm happy we've made it this far nonetheless, we've executed our tactics perfectly". Instead it's all vitriol and saying you're not boring :lol: 

Edited by Kaizero

Struggle to see what's wrong with that tbh. The game was won, every bit of extra energy will help in the next game. Completely the right move to hit the brakes and see the game out wasting as little energy as possible.

You've got a horrid understanding of football if you think we should have continued to exert needless energy when we were four fucking goals up

Here's me thinking the point of entering an international tournament was to try and win it. Turns out the point is actually to expend all your energy in the group stages to rack up the goal difference so that you don't get accused of being boring.

Utterly horrendous patter.