QF4: England 4 (FOWWA) - 0 Ukraine

Disco

Just now, Kaizero said:

Would you say Greece in 2004 were defensive? If you do, there's not much objectively incorrect about stating England have been defensive. To win matches you do what you need to do, I'm not saying it's inherently wrong. I'm saying I've been disappointed due to your attacking talent not really getting to do anything. Again, as a neutral. 

Did Greece control games like England have? 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Did Greece control games like England have? 

To a certain degree, going off memory. They completely shut Spain out in that group stage draw at least because that match wormed its way into my teenage brain due to its shitness :lol: 

25 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

They were heavily criticized for being boring with their 80% ball possession tactics, though. They weren't attacking at all, they just hogged the ball so the matches died :lol: Hated watching Spain. That stuck with me as I dislike Spain heavily even today.

So why not compare us to Spain for hogging the ball to see out the matches rather than bloody Greece?

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

So why not compare us to Spain for hogging the ball to see out the matches rather than bloody Greece?

Because you don't hog the ball like Spain. Possession tonight was 49-51 in your favour. You had eleven men in your own half most of the time Ukraine were on the offense and committed few men to any attacks, which reminded me more of Greece and how they did it.

The good thing to remember anyway is that Greece won it, it's not truly an insult when you think about it as you surely want to win :lol: 

Edited by Kaizero

Could even go with Portugal from the last Euros, or Italy at the 2006 World Cup, or many other teams who’ve played more no more exciting or dull football as England this tournament but you seem to have deliberately used the most boring and biggest upset as an example which is pretty crap. :lol:

If the tables were turned and this sometime in the future, through some divine intervention or miracle, was Norway, I'd fully expect the roles to be reversed in this thread, to be fair :lol: 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Could even go with Portugal from the last Euros, or Italy at the 2006 World Cup, or many other teams who’ve played more no more exciting or dull football as England this tournament but you seem to have deliberately used the most boring and biggest upset as an example which is pretty crap. :lol:

I've not been this bored watching a tournament team since EC 2004, hence for me it's an apt comparison :lol: The expectations I had for England and your attacking players probably helps push down the enjoyment as well as I just want to see them flourish. You guys have exciting players.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If Norway made the Semi Final of a competition with better quality behind Odegaard, Haaland….behind Odegaard & Haaland, fair play I’d be over the moon for you and couldn’t care less how you got there.

I'm not saying I'm not happy for you guys, man :lol: I'm really, really, genuinely and thoroughly pleased and happy for you all. 

And don't act like if you wouldn't be complaining about Norway boring out the place if we didn't attack at all with Haaland leading the line and all the expectations surrounding watching him.

Edited by Kaizero

Can't really call 6 goals to nil in two knockout ties boring like. 

We've set up to be solid and limit the opposition's chances regardless of who we've played and been very consistent at it. We've chosen when to press and when to turn the screw in attack. It's been an extremely impressive and professional campaign so far. We've been able to sub key players off when needed, avoided suspensions, injuries and fatigue. It's been exactly what you want from a tournament side. 

3 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

I'm not saying I'm not happy for you guys, man :lol: I'm really, really, genuinely and thoroughly pleased and happy for you all. 

And don't act like if you wouldn't be complaining about Norway boring out the place if we didn't attack at all with Haaland leading the line and all the expectations surrounding watching him.

I was chuffed when Greece won the competition. Great seeing an underdog win against the odds. If Norway did the same to win it, brilliant!

We’re not the underdogs though, we did what we needed to get through the group, have beaten Germany fairly easily and just thumped 4 past someone.

13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I was chuffed when Greece won the competition. Great seeing an underdog win against the odds. If Norway did the same to win it, brilliant!

We’re not the underdogs though, we did what we needed to get through the group, have beaten Germany fairly easily and just thumped 4 past someone.

Let's just put a pin in it, I am cheering for England in the semis by a lot and I will be very happy if England wins the tournament. If NUFC or Norway applied similar tactics to win a trophy, I'd be over the moon. But as a neutral it's not as engaging to watch. However, seeing England like you played in the beginning of the second half today was what I hoped for before the tournament began and I hope you will bring that energy to the semis and final and win in style. I've not been too pleased with everything before that, having had high expectations of seeing your attacking players in full bloom before the tournament began, but that is my opinion and and I respect the differing viewpoints. Especially from the ones like@Optimistic Nutand @Super Duper Branko Struparwho've actually engaged in a proper discussion and explained their own viewpoints well. Posters like them, and many others, make this place the special place it is. I appreciate the opportunity of being able to discuss England with English people.

Edited by Kaizero

England were at Greece's entertainment level until tonight, mind.

And there must be something wrong with me because I didn't cheer anything. Just shrugged shoulders, played on phone and had a nap. Very weird.

Think Kaiz needs to admit defeat in this one like. [emoji38]

No goals conceded in 5 games is impressive stuff, you can only lose on penalties if you keep that up.

I don't rate Southgate, but i can't fault him in this tournament so far, maybe he is improving as a manager.

And like others have said, he is easy to get behind because he's not an arrogant cunt like Allaydyce and co.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

31 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Think Kaiz needs to admit defeat in this one like. [emoji38]

No goals conceded in 5 games is impressive stuff, you can only lose on penalties if you keep that up.

I don't rate Southgate, but i can't fault him in this tournament so far, maybe he is improving as a manager.

And like others have said, he is easy to get behind because he's not an arrogant cunt like Allaydyce and co.

There's no defeat, I was not trying to change minds. I was stating my own opinion and then discussing that with posters who had a different opinion, it's all good natured fun. There would be no better place for me to get insight into the viewpoint actual English people have on their team's performance than here. 

11 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

There's no defeat, I was not trying to change minds. I was stating my own opinion and then discussing that with posters who had a different opinion, it's all good natured fun. There would be no better place for me to get insight into the viewpoint actual English people have on their team's performance than here. 

Ok, not sure how beating Germany 2-0 then Ukraine 4-0 is boring like.

Anyway, i'm not really bothered about amazing football, results are what counts.

1 hour ago, Ketsbaia said:

England were at Greece's entertainment level until tonight, mind.

And there must be something wrong with me because I didn't cheer anything. Just shrugged shoulders, played on phone and had a nap. Very weird.

We won 4-0, we've gone 5 games without conceding. I'll take that over playing exciting football tbh.

14 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Ok, not sure how beating Germany 2-0 then Ukraine 4-0 is boring like.

Anyway, i'm not really bothered about amazing football, results are what counts.

If you look through my posts in this thread you will see that I've spoken highly of the 4-0, especially the beginning of the second half, as well as explained why I found the other matches boring as a neutral. I've also said that for the supporters the actual results are what matter, not the entertainment value, but as a neutral that matters more - also stating that if it was my team who did it I'd be happy with just winning no matter if we bored everyone else. 

1 minute ago, Bizza said:

We won 4-0, we've gone 5 games without conceding. I'll take that over playing exciting football tbh.

Nobody is saying England supporters shouldn't take that over exciting football.