QF4: England 4 (FOWWA) - 0 Ukraine

Disco

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

What argument are you making?

That to a neutral it's been really boring to watch England in this tournament. I don't get why that is a harsh take at all. I've never said you don't deserve to be where you are or that you haven't executed the tactics you've planned well. 

Edited by Kaizero

2 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

It doesn't matter to the English, and I've never said it did. I just said why I don't like this England version, as a neutral, and would prefer someone else to win - at the same time as acknowledging i fully believe you will win if you make the final. I don't get why there's an uproar, why the need to be defensive? Why not just say "yeah, I understand we're boring to a neutral viewer but I'm happy we've made it this far nonetheless, we've executed our tactics perfectly". Instead it's all vitriol and saying you're not boring :lol: 

Spain haven’t been much better, Italy’s theatrics and shithousery surely counter the good football they’ve played in the neutral eyes you’d think. Denmark have done well.

Just now, Kaizero said:

That to a neutral it's been really boring to watch England in this tournament.

Fair enough.

Boring teams consistently win international tournaments (although I don’t think we’ve been boring at all tbh).

Just now, Joey Linton said:

He's the worst poster on the board. And that's coming from me. 

Thats just not true, while I disagree with him on this point, he's a decent poster, and been around for a long time.

2 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

That to a neutral it's been really boring to watch England in this tournament. I don't get why that is a harsh take at all. I've never said you don't deserve to be where you are or that you haven't executed the tactics you've planned well. 

You said we haven't had a proper test and we're doing a Greece ffs :lol:

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Spain haven’t been much better, Italy’s theatrics and shithousery surely counter the good football they’ve played in the neutral eyes you’d think. Denmark have done well.

Immobile was laughably bad. I would be quite happy if England won the tournament, you've been boring but I like you.

Its a matter of perception. And football, especially tournament football, understanding. You could say England have been boring all tournament, or, if you pay attention, you could say England have been very impressive in making things so easy for themselves. Which takes incredible skill from top down. Some people can't see that, which is fine. 

Just now, joeyt said:

You said we haven't had a proper test and we're doing a Greece ffs :lol:

Yeah, you've defended your way through the tournament. You've done it well to. It's been boring to watch as a neutral, though. 

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Its a matter of perception. And football, especially tournament football, understanding. You could say England have been boring all tournament, or, if you pay attention, you could say England have been very impressive in making things so easy for themselves. Which takes incredible skill from top down. Some people can't see that, which is fine. 

I've never said you haven't defended well or executed your tactics well. Greece did that too in 2004. Spain in 2010, as has also been mentioned. I'd much rather see an offensive England when you have the offensive talent you have at your disposal, though, as a neutral. Hence why I've been disappointing. People are going on like I don't actually like England. I like England, I want England to do well. I'm from one of the most Anglophile countries in the world where more people watch the PL each weekend than our own league :lol: I watched the game with three of my nephews today who are all mad for England and love Harry Kane. 

Edited by Kaizero

Guest neesy111

Here I wasn't happy with England's performances to start with but they've done everything expected now and improving which is a sign of a winning side.

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

You've got a horrid understanding of football if you think we should have continued to exert needless energy when we were four fucking goals up

:lol: Never heard anything so ridiculous. Part of the reason England continue to look so comfortable is because we spent most of the group stage expending as little energy as possible.

The players in our squad have played more football in the last 12 months than any other country, yet here we are in the semis and we look the freshest around, we've hardly sweated a bead. 

1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

I've never said you haven't defended well or executed your tactics well. Greece did that too in 2004. Spain in 2010, as has also been mentioned. I'd much rather see an offensive England when you have the offensive talent you have at your disposal, though, as a neutral.

To compare this England 2020 performance to Greece in 2004 is disingenuous. Or stupid. I'm not sure which is better.

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

Here I wasn't happy with England's performances to start with but they've done everything expected now and improving which is a sign of a winning side.

You looked more like what I expected pre-tournament in this match for sure and I hope that continues. 

We were horrific in the group stage, even I didn't want to watch us play but as the tournament has gone on we've shown a little more adventure, kept the ball well, defended excellently and given the opposition no chance. Its not total football but its harsh to say we've been boring, we weren't against Germany and we were far from it tonight.

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

To compare this England 2020 performance to Greece in 2004 is disingenuous. Or stupid. I'm not sure which is better.

Greece had to defend due to lack of quality and had more shots on target and more goals, I don't see why the comparison isn't apt when I am arguing that you've been boring to watch as a neutral. I'm not attacking your own personal enjoyment of the England games, which will be at a completely different level than my own. I would be beyond happy if NUFC defended our way to a trophy myself, but I'd understand that people who didn't support us could've found us boring.

Edited by Kaizero

For the record, I'm very happy to see England in the semis and would be very happy if they won the entire thing. Seeing the Danes in a final would be soul-crushing so even if you hog the ball for 90 minutes and fluke in one goal I'll be cheering like there's no tomorrow. Fuck Denmark.

I think we’ve completely controlled our games, other than Scotland. To say we’ve been defensive is objectively incorrect.

Boring is subjective so you can have that, but we’ve still gone about it in entirely the right way so far.

Just now, Joey Linton said:

Criticising England for not going all out for a fifth or sixth goal has to be one of the worst takes on a knockout game i've ever seen. :lol:

There's no point in having an adult discussion with you given your consistent need to completely miss the points being made about any subject. Please keep me on ignore.

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

I think we’ve completely controlled our games, other than Scotland. To say we’ve been defensive is objectively incorrect.

Boring is subjective so you can have that, but we’ve still gone about it in entirely the right way so far.

Would you say Greece in 2004 were defensive? If you do, there's not much objectively incorrect about stating England have been defensive. To win matches you do what you need to do, I'm not saying it's inherently wrong. I'm saying I've been disappointed due to your attacking talent not really getting to do anything - and your defensive display (which have been well done) have shut down the opposition, so it's been boring to watch compared to other games in this tournament, especially when I was looking forward to seeing your attacking players do their thing. Again, as a neutral. 

Edited by Kaizero