PIF and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Just now, timeEd32 said:

They hadn’t really shown any teeth yet though. That plus the related party stuff got worse.

But yeah, fairly lofty claims were made after then.

To be fair, the team went from almost certain relegation to UCL and beating PSG at St James' Park. Missed Europe by a cunt hair despite having the squad decimated by injuries,

The mad scramble at the end of the PSR period was bad and this window was pretty shit to me. I can't comment on the stadium thing other than to say I don't have a horse in that race. It seems the Geordies are divided.

It also seems they have big ambitions but a banana peel has been stepped on from what it appears.

43 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I'm with you on this, I'm waiting not so patiently about what the plan is for the stadium. It will tell me all I need to know.

If you take out the emotion, it's quite clear we need a new ground which can be a hub and a commercial engine for the club moving forward. Spurs have given the blueprint we don't even need to think for ourselves about what needs to be done. 

100%.  It also opens up the potential for ground sponsorship - a model which doesn’t work with SJP

16 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Why? The critique of PIF would be what they’ve appointed bad executives?

Agreed, PIF don't get over involved in the businesses they invest in, this is more on the managment team.

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

Agreed, PIF don't get over involved in the businesses they invest in, this is more on the managment team.

I think the blame/ responsibility for them in more technical in nature but I’m sure from where they are sitting they are paying people considerable sums to sort all of this. 

But to be very frank, we should be multi club, we should be building a new training ground and SJP question should have been one of the first on the agenda. 

4 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Is it not widely accepted that PIF sign-off all our deals? That's significant involvement. 

1 minute ago, macphisto said:

Is it not widely accepted that PIF sign-off all our deals? That's significant involvement. 

They sign the cheques yes. Decision making is next to the management and explained to pif. 

From the Amazon documentary it always seemed like whilst the Newcastle based executives were trying to push transfers forward, it was the PIF Head of European Operations who was the blocker

I would quite like some honest, no bullshit answers from leadership soon on some of, if not all, the following topics:

stadium development, new training ground, sponsorships, academy, where we actually are with PSR

Club look like they’ve hired a bunch of very experienced staff this summer for operations side of things so I have no doubt the future is bright but howay, give a dog a bone please 

I think it's obvious they have great ambitions for us, but the rules in place may have slowed things down a bit so it may take longer. That's basically what Howe said yesterday. People questioning their ambition based on 1 bad transfer window stinks of toys out the pram. 

Remember, the players that were identified, we failed to get. PIF don't identify the players or negotiate the purchase of these players. They basically just sign the cheque. If the people put in charge of recruitment have failed in their attempts with all players identified, I fail to see how this is PIF's fault and why people are questioning them. 

Edited by Scoot

PIF Thread

Going to try and separate my thoughts from what I consider to be facts (Rafa style).  

Fact

PIF as owners have not been able to increase our revenue inline with expenses + amortisation enough for us to keep our best players and significantly invest in the transfer market again. 

It’s their primary responsibility because it’s only possible to spend what we spend consistently if we use our owners wealth and power to inflate or revenue or circumvent costs. Blaming Eales and co. is like blaming Mort and Lambeezy for Ashley. 

Opinion 

We also don’t seem to have a coherent strategy to get us there revenue wise. We haven’t seen it. PIF have had almost 3 years to grapple with the FFP rules - they haven’t tried hard to exploit loopholes - we were even late to the party with the patsy transfers which is why we got the worst deal. 

The lack of update on stadium plans is the worst thing. 

The key thing I’m looking for from PIF for the rest of the calendar year is a coherent strategy.  

If we are going to try and keep our star players and sign £70m CBs - we need to increase our revenue sharply. Rename SJP for 3 years, sponsors everywhere, whatever. If we need to build more naturally - we should stop making top 4 like signings and concentrate on signing wonderkids, under appreciated assets and cheaper senior pros. RB Are the example, Dortmund, Spurs in the Jol, Redknapp years, even Brighton. Sell players at peak value, sign players with potential to increase in value, tight wage control. Let the fans know that we might have some up and down years as we sell star players, not every replacement will work. And align the employees. 

I have a creeping feeling that the owners are demanding but not savvy. They’ve opened their wallet but I feel (could be wrong) the good (and bad) work has been done by Staveley and co.  

Maybe we aren’t a priority.  Abu Dhabi’s entire footballing operation is centred on Man City (City Group).  The entire operation is slick and geared towards Man City domination. To get City to the top they most likely broke rules, won’t cooperate with governing bodies and have taken them to court. PIF are signing Ivan Toney for Al-Alhi.  They’ve leveraged the Saudi League relationship once in 2 years. There’s a mismatch of action and expectation here. 

What’s the genuine ambition? Do we have a realistic plan to get there?

From the outside it’s confusing.  

Eddie / Eales / Mitchell - what have they been told by the ownership? Feels like big demands without the resources to achieve them. Is that why Freedman knocked us back?

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

PIF Thread

Going to try and separate my thoughts from what I consider to be facts (Rafa style).  

Fact

PIF as owners have not been able to increase our revenue inline with expenses + amortisation enough for us to keep our best players and significantly invest in the transfer market again. 

It’s their primary responsibility because it’s only possible to spend what we spend consistently if we use our owners wealth and power to inflate or revenue or circumvent costs. Blaming Eales and co. is like blaming Mort and Lambeezy for Ashley. 

Opinion 

We also don’t seem to have a coherent strategy to get us there revenue wise. We haven’t seen it. PIF have had almost 3 years to grapple with the FFP rules - they haven’t tried hard to exploit loopholes - we were even late to the party with the patsy transfers which is why we got the worst deal. 

The lack of update on stadium plans is the worst thing. 

The key thing I’m looking for from PIF for the rest of the calendar year is a coherent strategy.  

If we are going to try and keep our star players and sign £70m CBs - we need to increase our revenue sharply. Rename SJP for 3 years, sponsors everywhere, whatever. If we need to build more naturally - we should stop making top 4 like signings and concentrate on signing wonderkids, under appreciated assets and cheaper senior pros. RB Are the example, Dortmund, Spurs in the Jol, Redknapp years, even Brighton. Sell players at peak value, sign players with potential to increase in value, tight wage control. Let the fans know that we might have some up and down years as we sell star players, not every replacement will work. And align the employees. 

I have a creeping feeling that the owners are demanding but not savvy. They’ve opened their wallet but I feel (could be wrong) the good (and bad) work has been done by Staveley and co.  

Maybe we aren’t a priority.  Abu Dhabi’s entire footballing operation is centred on Man City (City Group).  The entire operation is slick and geared towards Man City domination. To get City to the top they most likely broke rules, won’t cooperate with governing bodies and have taken them to court. PIF are signing Ivan Toney for Al-Alhi.  They’ve leveraged the Saudi League relationship once in 2 years. There’s a mismatch of action and expectation here. 

What’s the genuine ambition? Do we have a realistic plan to get there?

From the outside it’s confusing.  

Eddie / Eales / Mitchell - what have they been told by the ownership? Feels like big demands without the resources to achieve them. Is that why Freedman knocked us back?

I don't think we should base our football future on exploiting loop holes, we need a sound base to build on but it needs to be sustainable, where I think we should be more active is with sponsorship 

On 31/08/2024 at 07:15, Newcastle Fan said:

There has been lots of talk in the past that PIF have final sign off on every financial decision and that slows down transfers, and in the documentary PIF were involved in meetings that were shown. 

Edited by Jackie Broon

52 minutes ago, Ben said:

I don't think we should base our football future on exploiting loop holes, we need a sound base to build on but it needs to be sustainable, where I think we should be more active is with sponsorship 

Those sponsorships will need to push the limit of FMV. Those will only come from PIF/Saudi companies which is exploiting financial loopholes. 

The sustainable model means selling our best players and not signing the likes of Barnes, Guehi. Sell Joelinton. Sell Bruno. Trippier. Right wage control. Accept the odd 10th place finish as we develop our players. 

On 31/08/2024 at 07:22, r0cafella said:

They sign the cheques yes. Decision making is next to the management and explained to pif. 

Owners hire leadership/CEO for a specific remit and approach though. The owners decide whether to pursue growth, stabilise, need short term success or take a longer view. 

and that trickles through to every layer. If the board say we need a level of instant success, Eales hires a manager and DOF under the same remit. 

48 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

There has been lots of talk in the past that PIF have final sign off on every financial decision and that slows down transfers, and in the documentary PIF were involved in meetings that were shown. 

Having the final sign off means the management team have to do their work and bring it to them to sign off, across the transfer window all we heard is that we are bidding for Marc Guehi, and then panic happened when we realized we are not getting him, PIF are not actively involved in the day to day running of the club and even Yasir's role is Non-executive, its on Eales, Mitchell and to an extent Howe to identify suitable targets, negotiate the deal and bring it to PIF who will usually just sign it off.

The PIF team is actually actively involved in the signings made for the Saudi League and they seem to be doing a far better job than our lot :lol:

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s weird for everything to be ultimately Ashley’s fault when he was owner. But PIF don’t have ultimate responsibility now. 

Probably because PIF have ambition and have invested hundreds of millions into the club, putting an executive structure in place to move the club forward. Ashley didn't 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s weird for everything to be ultimately Ashley’s fault when he was owner. But PIF don’t have ultimate responsibility now. 

Because they don’t.