Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Can't see it being 9 months as what's the point in going for him. Maybe until the end of season at the very most. 

I imagine it will even be before that. All about haggling over the compensation figure at the moment. I imagine this will speed up the more likely our survival in the PL appears. 

He's been wrong about loads of things relating to us. He's very anti-NUFC.

Athletic say “It is thought that Ashworth's notice period could even run through this summer's transfer window and into next season.”

edit- from here…

https://theathletic.com/news/brighton-holding-out-for-significant-compensation-to-let-dan-ashworth-join-newcastle-early/zNCog2zMXAd4/?amp=1

Edited by Manxst

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

This guy (BBC) says ‘substantial’ leave (6 months+).

Let's say they are correct, then to me it seems a bit stupid going for him when we need somebody in now (I would argue it should have been sooner also). Maybe we are negotiating a fee though.

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Athletic say “It is thought that Ashworth's notice period could even run through this summer's transfer window and into next season.”

edit- from here…

https://theathletic.com/news/brighton-holding-out-for-significant-compensation-to-let-dan-ashworth-join-newcastle-early/zNCog2zMXAd4/?amp=1

Stupid if that's the case mind imho.

Just now, et tu brute said:

Let's say they are correct, then to me it seems a bit stupid going for him when we need somebody in now (I would argue it should have been sooner also). Maybe we are negotiating a fee though.

We will be, and remember they’re in it for long term success.

Could it be possible they let him speak to Newcastle knowing the long leave clause and also knowing they'd likely get good money out of it.

I know it was mentioned that it's in their culture to let people move up. Money is money though.

Don't have a clue and don't think I can't remember any other club having to pay compensation.

No other club? Enter Stephen Bruce…! (And Alan Pardew….fucking hell)

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/item/football-manager-contracts-of-employment-an-analysis-of-key-clauses-for-clubs-to-consider-part-2

Edited by Manxst

Thing is Ashworth knows the name of the 19 year old Argentinian winger, 16 year old Forest Green Rovers full back and 23 year old Slovenian goalkeeper that Brighton will be able to sign for a combined £3m in the summer. I don’t think Brighton will want that info passed on to other clubs so I think he will have to serve the full 9 months gardening leave.

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Name me another club who has had to pay compensation for a new board member, which was the point I was making.

Chelsea for Arnesen. 

“When news of this emerged in June 2005, followed by pictures of Arnesen meeting Abramovich on his yacht in the south of France, the simmering tensions between the two clubs rushed to the boil. Levy was furious and Spurs threatened to report Chelsea to the Premier League for allegedly approaching Arnesen directly rather than going through them. Chelsea denied the accusation and released a statement saying: “Chelsea Ltd made an official approach to Tottenham Hotspur for permission to speak to Frank Arnesen two weeks ago. Chelsea Ltd has been in direct discussions with Tottenham for the last two weeks on this subject.”

The incident was especially pertinent at the time as it came just days after the club and Mourinho had been fined £500,000 for illegally approaching Arsenal defender Ashley Cole. They had also been given a suspended sentence of a three-point deduction if they committed the same offence (though it related only to players rather than executives).

Spurs suspended Arnesen and intense negotiations between the two clubs followed, with Levy walking out of a meeting with Kenyon as the two discussed appropriate compensation. Eventually, Chelsea agreed to pay Tottenham a compensation package of about £8 million, while Arnesen was put on gardening leave until the end of the transfer window. Arnesen was actually made to work right up until the end of his time at Spurs, and even on his last day in the job, he signed the papers to complete the signing of Grzegorz Rasiak from Derby County.

The incident left a bitter taste. Spurs were enraged that their entire structure had been upended but there was a feeling at Chelsea that Levy had been opportunistic in pushing for such a high compensation fee (an accusation Spurs have always vehemently denied, feeling their stance was entirely warranted).”

1 minute ago, James said:

Thing is Ashworth knows the name of the 19 year old Argentinian winger, 16 year old Forest Green Rovers full back and 23 year old Slovenian goalkeeper that Brighton will be able to sign for a combined £3m in the summer. I don’t think Brighton will want that info passed on to other clubs so I think he will have to serve the full 9 months gardening leave.

Well to me if that's the case, they should be looking at other options (I know they are not).

So Brighton are going to pay him for 9 months to do absolutely nothing? Doesn't make financial sense nor does it tie in with their "free to negotiate and leave" approach. While being anti-employment to boot