Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

5 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Gotcha. What's the point in it then? It says he will hand over all duties this week, so he is done from a Brighton perspective. They just want to inconvenience to us by having him unable to start for 3 months? Or just some sort of standard practice for these type of positions? Flooding back, wasn't it similar with Overmars when we were linked before Christmas?

He has a notice period. Rather than working that entire notice period he's being put on gardening leave. It's completely normal.

Many senior positions outside of football use gardening leave as a way of detaching people from trade secrets, clients, contacts etc it is hardly an uncommon thing.

when I left my last job they thought about putting me in gardening leave for three months but decided against it as I was going to a client and not a competitor.

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Gotcha. What's the point in it then? It says he will hand over all duties this week, so he is done from a Brighton perspective. They just want to inconvenience to us by having him unable to start for 3 months? Or just some sort of standard practice for these type of positions? Flooding back, wasn't it similar with Overmars when we were linked before Christmas?

Standard practice so the new employee can’t jump ship and immediately take all their experience/contacts etc with them to the new employers and leave their last ones in the lurch. It theoretically protects the medium/long term strategic interests of the former employer. 

Really happy with this, he's the one I wanted after going on a hunt after he was first linked.

A bit shit for Brighton though, I wish we'd poached the technical director of a less likeable club [emoji38]

They seem to do a lot of things right though so will probably replace him with someone who works out even better.

2 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

Agree with TCD. A credible candidate, a good appointment by all accounts, who will hopefully set us along the road we're all hoping to travel, but it's not an elite hire as I would define it. Hopefully he has the quality to help fulfil our medium to long term ambitions as well as our more immediate ones, it's certainly a huge opportunity for him in that respect. 

Thanks - this is exactly what I mean.

28 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Standard practice so the new employee can’t jump ship and immediately take all their experience/contacts etc with them to the new employers and leave their last ones in the lurch. It theoretically protects the medium/long term strategic interests of the former employer. 

Bit of a pisser if, like me, he hates gardening.

Spent the morning watching his chat with Mark Clemmett for UCB. Clem aside, he comes across very well and seems to understand what his role is and the relationship building element attached to that. 

The fact he's committed to us in this situation is massive. It can't be undersold.

It was never PIF’s remit to make us the biggest and best club in the world. Gathering talent early and bringing them on is the modus operandi. That’s why he’s such a good fit. There’s a few people who  have forgotten the 14 Ashley years very quickly!

2 minutes ago, RS said:

It was never PIF’s remit to make us the biggest and best club in the world. 

Straight away agreed, long-term, it is absolutely their remit! And this fella will go a long way to help achieve that!

Edited by HTT II

5 minutes ago, RS said:

It was never PIF’s remit to make us the biggest and best club in the world. Gathering talent early and bringing them on is the modus operandi. That’s why he’s such a good fit. There’s a few people who  have forgotten the 14 Ashley years very quickly!

To be fair, even Man City switched to a more sustainable financial model in time. We can discuss swelled sponsorships and the like, but through their network of clubs they've been able to flip players and utilise some of those profits to offset big signings for Man City. 

Just now, Scoot said:

Just think, 4 months ago we had Ashley, Charnley, Bruce and no money to spend!

It’s been a crazy 4 months and there is no limit to what we can now achieve and where we can go to next and beyond, none whatsoever. 

10 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I think we can put all of that ‘but they might sell us if we do down’ talk to bed now?

Never got this fear from some fans.. if relegation was a factor they would have waited till the end of the season to buy us.

19 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I think we can put all of that ‘but they might sell us if we do down’ talk to bed now?

They know what they have got, relegation or not, a club that can be as big as any other club and as successful, a club that could be worth a few billion in the next 5 or so years, not that they would ever want to cash in I’m 100% positive about that, it’s about having a global sporting asset at the top of the biggest sport, football. 

My friend is originally from SA and he told me not long after we were finally taken over, not to underestimate the importance of our city only having the one club, NUFC, a club without any direct rivals. This, I was told, is important to PIF and their ambitions, and why they never really walked away, were so patient and why they chose us and not say a Villa, an Everton, a Man Utd even or some foreign club. City will never globally and commercially be as big as Man Utd, ever, same with Everton vs LFC, they could go on to usurp them in the league table, beating them to trophies, but as a brand, as a commercial asset, no matter how much money they throw at those respective clubs, they can only ever really be in the same league as their fellow neighbours they share cities with. With NUFC there is a real chance to be our own Man Utd/Liverpool if that makes sense, as loath as I am to even mention that train of thought. And with that, as a result, we can be!

Edited by HTT II

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

Gardening leave man, it 2022 FFS! Hate how employers can have so much control over people in this day and age…

He'll still be getting paid by BHA in the meanwhile.

1 hour ago, Dr Venkman said:

And to who? :lol: Like there’s some mystery buyer lined up for only if we are relegated, some fans are mental like

3 hours ago, LRD said:

Just rules him up taking the role officially in the next three months I suppose. What's stopping him from communicating with the NUFC team or "traveling to SJP to watch matches".

I imagine his contract, which he has to honour for his notice period, could have a clause that forbids him working with any competition during his employment. That would stop him from being able to work with us right away, unless he done it sneakily behind folks’ back.

Just looking through Brighton's transfers during his period. Christ, they do an absolute shiteload of business. Nearly 50 players brought in and from all over Europe. 

Belgium 3

France 3

Ireland 3

Sweden 1

Holland 3

Germany 1

Switzerland 1

Poland 3

Ecuador 1

Portugal 1

Austria 1

Japan 1

Spain 1

Czech Republic 1

Meanwhile they've got 27 players out on loan just this season. 

Looks like he's built a serious set-up at Brighton. Academy and loan departments clearly had loads of investment. 

Talks about it a lot here: