Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

Ashworth will have been advising Amanda and co since Christmas and he's mates with Howe so the collaboration will be ongoing just not formal, it wouldn't surprise me if they meet every week in Dobbies in Birtley and whisper at each other through the Geranium's

32 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Based of Howe’s comments in January, Ashworth will definitely be involved in transfers 

He isn’t 

he is the guy that finds the best of the best to recruit / scout / feedback information 

he isn’t the one to suggest players 

he is the guy that oversees everything 

Basically the lynchpin that holds it all together and has 7 or 8 different areas to cover including womens team/ academy / recruitment team / scouting network / sports science / etc 

In regards to transfers , the club will give him a position they want to strengthen  / budget / player type / age 

Dan then gets his team to go out and source those types of players / bring back 40 page dossiers and present these to the club !

His expertise is building / employing the best people in every department he covers , to build up a successful club from top to bottom 

Edited by JonBez comesock

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

He isn’t 

he is the guy that finds the best of the best to recruit / scout / feedback 

he isn’t the one to suggest players 

he is the guy that oversees everything 

Basically the lynchpin that holds it all tighter and has 7 or 8 different areas to cover including womens team/ academy / recruitment team / scouting network / sports science / etc 

He will definitely be involved in transfers this summer, that according to Howe himself and the athletic report this morning.

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He is 

That’s a story in the athletic 

I know exactly what he will be doing 

he done the exact same at Brighton 

he is the head of everything and gets alot of credit for their recruitment (so he should as he is the gaffer)

it’s not actually him who suggests the players 

he is the guy (who is the best around in terms of technical directors) he has multiple contacts / employees very good people who he relies upon to source / scout / research players 

His team will have suggestions , and no doubt we will employ some of his trusted team in the future 

Believe the athletic though as it’s geeet reliable n that 

Edited by JonBez comesock

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

he is the head of everything and gets alot of credit for their recruitment 

he is the guy (who is the best around) as he had contacts / employees around him that he relies upon to source / scout / research players 

His team will have suggestions , and Bo doubt we will employ some of his trusted team in the future 

I’ll choose to believe the most reliable media source out there (and Howe himself) over a random fan on a message board ? you keep up with the fake ITK stuff though.

Didnt say he is suggesting players either, he is involved in agent negotiations and dealing with clubs over transfer fees etc.

Edited by SUPERTOON

3 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

he is the head of everything and gets alot of credit for their recruitment 

he is the guy (who is the best around) as he had contacts / employees around him that he relies upon to source / scout / research players 

His team will have suggestions , and Bo doubt we will employ some of his trusted team in the future 

Totally agree that that will be his role going forward. But much in the same way Howe had to step up and play a much more direct role in recruitment in Jan than he is normally used to, I imagine that will also be the case with Ashworth this Summer.

He isn't going to come in and immediately have everything in place. And to get everything in place during a transfer window is going to be very tricky. As Chris' tweet suggests, whilst he won't be involved in identifying players, I imagine he will have a large hand in direct negotiations with other clubs. After the Summer is when he can start his job proper.

I suspect Ashworth has been in place since he left Brighton.

If Staveley and Mehrdad haven't been in direct contact with him for the last few months, I will be shocked.

In reality, it changes very little but I will be nice to have a solid operator actually behind his desk at the club.

In terms of transfers, they should always be a collective decision, that's the only way it can ever work.

17 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’ll choose to believe the most reliable media source out there (and Howe himself) over a random fan on a message board ? you keep up with the fake ITK stuff though.

Didnt say he is suggesting players either, he is involved in agent negotiations and dealing with clubs over transfer fees etc.

Ok - thanks 

I’d say he’s had a certain informal level of input, even if it’s a case of someone at the club asking advice on certain scenarios but overall his job will be building the infrastructure to drive the club on going forward.. a 3-5 year project.

A new state of the art training facility that encompasses the academy and building a whole network to source and monitor talent coming into the club.

While the club will spend money on established players, their plan is to have a self sustaining system of excellence that fuels the first team year after year. Something I think is far more exciting as a supporter than trying to attract mercenaries on dumb wages.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

There is nothing in that article that suggests Ashworth is currently playing any role whatsoever at Newcastle.

Which is pretty obvious - he’s not going to violate his contract of employment with Brighton by operating in the interests of a direct competitor. 

Edited by Bompeter

Just now, Bompeter said:

There is nothing in that article that suggests Ashworth is currently playing any role whatsoever at Newcastle.

Which is pretty obvious - he’s not going to violate his contract of employment with Brighton by operating in the interests of a direct competitor. 

Where did I say he’s currently playing a role ? The article literally says he will be involved in them once appointed