Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

4 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Why am I not surprised that Ashley didn’t believe in pay rises. Surprised he even believed in paying staff in the first place. 

Certainly didn’t believe in sick pay or annual leave, the fat horrible cunt. 

Guest HTT II

Didn’t he promise the players a trip to Vegas if they stayed up and then went all radio silence on them all?

42 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Find this as exciting as any player signing tbf.

Acting like a proper football club, mental 

Know what you mean. Whatever the opposite of an empire built on quick sand is, this feels like it.

Feels like WWF as opposed WCW (only reference I can think of sorry)

28 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Didn’t he promise the players a trip to Vegas if they stayed up and then went all radio silence on them all?

Tbf though he took them to an Italians instead and got them the 3 courses for £6.95 deal 

I find it quite interesting that Man U have decided not to go ahead with keeping Ragnick on as a consultant for a few days a week. Seems like another fine mess.

The official reason being that it's because he's managing Austria, as previously agreed, but they just hadn't realised how much work that would be.

It's hard to escape thinking they are either incompetent in thinking that, or they decided he wasn't good enough after a poor season as a manager (a completely different role), or that perhaps ten Hag didn't want him there.

Anyway, to the point. If Ashworth's role is essentially being the infrastructure guy, the man who keeps everything ticking and makes sure the club is being run properly, isn't there still a gap for a technical director of football?

A sort of elder statesman who maybe has contacts in the football world and can provide support and advice when needed. Understands the club, has been around the block and can be a shoulder to lean on for a manager when we hit inevitable rough patches.

I'm not saying Ragnick as a person, I'm just saying that's the kind of role Man U have lacked as they've bounced from manager to manager, wasting money on bad signings and focussing on the wrong things, and reading about their recruitment strategy it seems an obvious miss from their boardroom.

If you could turn the clock back, it would have been ideal for the likes of Sir Bobby to be in that kind of position. Alongside Ashworth I mean, not instead of, because I think the roles are different.

I wonder if there's anyone out there who could do such a role for us.

Edited by Abacus

I think most people in those roles now will be technical, organisation and business focused rather than anything nostalgic or related to moral support for the manager. 

You’re right about there being gaps for other people though, Ashworth will be assembling a wider team for other aspects of the club, I guess. 

Man Utd have essentially pivoted each time they’ve changed manager. Different playing style, ethos etc. They haven’t a clue who they even are at this stage.

They need someone like Ashworth even more than we do.

He agrees with the owners on the playing style and objectives, and then no matter who is managing the first team, they have to buy into that whole system in place so that there’s continuity.

Ten Haag is obviously a good manager but he’s now coming in with another ethos, another way to play and he has nobody at board level or in between to back him up when/if things don’t go well.

Mark my words, it’s going to be a disaster and will set his career back in a big way.

8 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Man Utd have essentially pivoted each time they’ve changed manager. Different playing style, ethos etc. They haven’t a clue who they even are at this stage.

They need someone like Ashworth even more than we do.

He agrees with the owners on the playing style and objectives, and then no matter who is managing the first team, they have to buy into that whole system in place so that there’s continuity.

Ten Haag is obviously a good manager but he’s now coming in with another ethos, another way to play and he has nobody at board level or in between to back him up when/if things don’t go well.

Mark my words, it’s going to be a disaster and will set his career back in a big way.

I would sat Ten Hag has won the first battle in getting rid of Ralf

5 minutes ago, Ben said:

I would sat Ten Hag has won the first battle in getting rid of Ralf

No way that was his call, I’d say whatever respect Ralf had when he got the job sort of ebbed away and even from his side, he knows now the club is absolutely toxic so it was probably an easy conversation to have for both parties.

Ten Haag will have to find out the hard way.

Edited by Dr Jinx

6 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

No way that was his call, I’d say whatever respect Ralf had when he got the job sort of ebbed away and even from his side, he knows now the club is absolutely toxic so it was probably an easy conversation to have for both parties.

I'm not so sure about that, I'm sure Ten Hag refused to even meet Ralf

9 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Man U ruining a coach? Nah. 

Moyes

Mourinho

Ragnick

6 minutes ago, Ben said:

I'm not so sure about that, I'm sure Ten Hag refused to even meet Ralf

If that's true, then it's pretty daft from him.

I'd always want to meet my predecessor in any job, at the very least to find out what they thought the problems were.

I might well not agree with them, of course, but that's a different matter. It sounds like every Man U manager has needed a football ally in the boardroom, otherwise decisions just get made by a committee of dolts.

That boardroom person might not have been Ragnick, and fair enough. But they need someone.

They moved from Ferguson, who essentially ran the whole club, to a series of different types of managers who then have a bunch of marketeers above them, who aren't football people, making the decisions.

They can buy whoever they like, player wise. And that always just seems to be the answer. "Let's just get rid of these players who don't care, and then just buy some new ones that do!". 

But until they change that culture from the top, they're on a spiral downwards imo. It's like the Ashley years for us - as owners they've no idea of what football means and that permeates every strand of the club.

1 minute ago, Abacus said:

If that's true, then it's pretty daft from him.

I'd always want to meet my predecessor in any job, at the very least to find out what they thought the problems were.

I might well not agree with them, of course, but that's a different matter. It sounds like every Man U manager has needed a football ally in the boardroom, otherwise decisions just get made by a committee of dolts.

That boardroom person might not have been Ragnick, and fair enough. But they need someone.

They moved from Ferguson, who essentially ran the whole club, to a series of different types of managers who then have a bunch of marketeers above them, who aren't football people, making the decisions.

They can buy whoever they like, player wise. And that always just seems to be the answer. "Let's just get rid of these players who don't care, and then just buy some new ones that do!". 

But until they change that culture from the top, they're on a spiral downwards imo. It's like the Ashley years for us - as owners they've no idea of what football means and that permeates every strand of the club.

According to the Mirror they had a two hour conversation over the phone so basically Ralf's two year consultancy contract was cut to two hours 

Not surprised, and for all blaming man u, i was reading how Ralf relied upon his mate at lockamotiv moscow giving him video analysis as a favour (not paid) and ignoring the existing staff at Man U, whom I am sure weren't as good but do have the advantage of being there and being able to devote a lot of time to it. He only belatedly realied Mike Phelan was ok and started taking advice from him later.

It seems he tried for first few matches to implement his gegenpressing then realised there wasn't enough time and the players werent going to do it and instead changed plan to play whatever it was they were supposed to be playing, but if you're not getting your team to play your style of football you are known for, is the alternative style ever going to be good? It is a clownshow, and a manager who hadn't directly managed a team for ages who doesn't even enjoy it very much was never a good fit and was a weird call. Absolutely get him in as a director of football or even just to manage your academy, but manager was bad, and of course basically new manager coming in will not be impressed by the guy beforehand who failed and probably won't want his opinion added. 

However you look at it, Man Utd are sending worrying signals about how they’re being run. 

It was pointless hiring Ragnick if he was going to bugger off after half a season. 

Putting a manager in charge of everything doesn’t seem sensible, even if Ten Hag is a long term appointment.