The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

10 hours ago, WilliamPS said:

The claims of “we’ve got our club back” were always going to ring hollow. NUFC will now become a football mega brand, like Man City or Man Utd, we’re fans are customers and TV deals in Asia more important than local supporters. That is the price of a good team on the pitch. City are unrecognisable from the club they used to be - as is a lot of their fan base.

The only way to have success in the PL without being a brand with a football club attached is if you are taken over by a super rich fan - the Brighton /Leicester model - and that has a ceiling based on the owners wealth.

Just wait until the existing fan base are referred to as ‘legacy fans’!

People can decide for themselves whether that’s a price worth paying, the alternative is a midtable PL existence at best. For some the CL and competing for trophies will be worth it, for other it won’t.

If I could choose between winning the CL under the current regime and an alternate universe where we had normal, competent owners who tried the best they could but were limited by financial constraints, I’d take the latter ten times out of ten.

Unfortunately that’s not the choice we got. It was either fucking Mike Ashley; or getting to be run by competent, well-meaning people but also becoming a propaganda tool of a violent totalitarian regime. I’ve made temporary peace with the latter, but it sucks that those were the options.

23 hours ago, Wandy said:

Saudi ownership doesn't bother me in the slightest but I would never try to defend their regime. Not gonna lie though, I chortled when I read that quote from Bin Salman about sportswashing the other day. Anyone who basically tells the western media to go fuck themselves gets a thumbs up from me.

This sort of thoughtless fawning over strongman dictators just because they can “stick it” to democratic institutions like the free press is precisely why we’ve ended up with the shit politics we have in places like the US and UK right now.

Journos aren’t perfect, but put them up next to someone like MBS, Xi, or Putin, and nobody should have any illusions about who the bad guy is in that dynamic.

Edited by oldtype

2 hours ago, oldtype said:

This sort of thoughtless fawning over strongman dictators just because they can “stick it” to democratic institutions like the free press is precisely why we’ve ended up with the shit politics we have in places like the US and UK right now.

Journos aren’t perfect, but put them up next to someone like MBS, Xi, or Putin, and nobody should have any illusions about who the bad guy is in that dynamic.

Fawning. :lol: Give over man.

I couldn't care less about Bin Salman or Saudi policies one way or the other. The issue is far too complicated for me as a football fan to waste valuable time on. What I do know though is that, having regularly experienced the UK media at first hand, that I fucking loathe them, hence why I found Bin Salman's withering comments towards them amusing.

I also know that the Saudis have been regarded as a key ally of the UK for decades by successive governments, therefore if their money and assistance is welcomed by our leaders then I'm not going to grumble or protest about investment from them into NUFC either.

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Fawning. :lol: Give over man.

I couldn't care less about Bin Salman or Saudi policies one way or the other. The issue is far too complicated for me as a football fan to waste valuable time on. What I do know though is that, having regularly experienced the UK media at first hand, that I fucking loathe them, hence why I found Bin Salman's withering comments towards them amusing.

I also know that the Saudis have been regarded as a key ally of the UK for decades by successive governments, therefore if their money and assistance is welcomed by our leaders then I'm not going to grumble or protest about investment from them into NUFC either.

I actually think yours and old types opinions are the same.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/09/2023 at 20:09, oldtype said:

If I could choose between winning the CL under the current regime and an alternate universe where we had normal, competent owners who tried the best they could but were limited by financial constraints, I’d take the latter ten times out of ten.

Unfortunately that’s not the choice we got. It was either fucking Mike Ashley; or getting to be run by competent, well-meaning people but also becoming a propaganda tool of a violent totalitarian regime. I’ve made temporary peace with the latter, but it sucks that those were the options.

You got a choice? I didn't. When the club ownership changed, nobody asked me.

First Post back after ban. 

Would like to apologise to @aa5773for my posts on Sunday afternoon. It was unprovoked and intolerant of me. 

As for the accusations of being racist and/or Islamophobic, i certainly refute that, I have a dislike of all religions and their affect on society, however in most cases I manage to separate religion from religious people, of whom I have no general hatred towards. On this occasion I let myself down and made someone feel unwelcome, which isn't right.

As far as the person who wanted me to be banned for life for this forum.. I've been on here 19 years and this is the first time I've been in trouble, I'd like think I've contributed way more good than bad. What happened to hearing someone out, giving people second chances, or even asking why I was speaking out of character? No it must be an absolute punishment? how very religious.

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 

17 hours ago, STM said:

First Post back after ban. 

Would like to apologise to @aa5773for my posts on Sunday afternoon. It was unprovoked and intolerant of me. 

As for the accusations of being racist and/or Islamophobic, i certainly refute that, I have a dislike of all religions and their affect on society, however in most cases I manage to separate religion from religious people, of whom I have no general hatred towards. On this occasion I let myself down and made someone feel unwelcome, which isn't right.

As far as the person who wanted me to be banned for life for this forum.. I've been on here 19 years and this is the first time I've been in trouble, I'd like think I've contributed way more good than bad. What happened to hearing someone out, giving people second chances, or even asking why I was speaking out of character? No it must be an absolute punishment? how very religious.

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 

This is an awkward thread to be in sometimes, a mix of religion, politics, our ownership, football issues etc, so can bring out high emotions.

What do they say? Never talk to your friends about religion, politics or money, to which Mark Twain should added "plus, don't mix it with football either, y'all".

Which is not to say that's a bad thing at all on here when discussed in the right way. Anyway, glad you're back.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm just looking for a closed answer so as to not stir things back up again, but since when has badmouthing religion been a no no on here?

It shouldn't be.

All religion is nonsense to me, and we should be comfortable saying that if we feel that way. 

However attacking specific religions is a bit different. As is mentioning specific nationalities as a whole group, ie Saudis as one people in a negative way.

That shouldn't stop people criticising the actions of specific Saudi people though. That should be ok. You're attacking the individual, not the nationality.

For me it's just about not discriminating unfairly. 

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm just looking for a closed answer so as to not stir things back up again, but since when has badmouthing religion been a no no on here?

I was on the boards when all that was going on, and I think it was more the way it was put across. It was along the lines of Fuck your (insert country) and fuck your (insert deity).

As I commented at the time, I usually agree with a lot of what STM posts, but there was no need for that.

16 hours ago, Abacus said:

This is an awkward thread to be in sometimes, a mix of religion, politics, our ownership, football issues etc, so can bring out high emotions.

What do they say? Never talk to your friends about religion, politics or money, to which Mark Twain should added "plus, don't mix it with football either, y'all".

Which is not to say that's a bad thing at all on here when discussed in the right way. Anyway, glad you're back.

The problem is of course that when govts buy football clubs - particularly ones which use what is effectively a state religion to oppress the population of that country - then sport and politics can’t be separated.

The KSA govt - including the man in ultimate charge of the PIF - are truly awful, one of the most oppressive dictatorships on earth.  People in KSA can be killed, tortured, imprisoned for writing what I just did there.  Anyone who wants to get offended on behalf of that govt needs a shake. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle