The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

17 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Whinging about being hated by other fans put into the context of the reasons why everyone rightly hates the Saudi owners just makes it come across as monumentally crass like. 

We didn't get a say in any of it, leave it at that. No one is going to, or should want to hear 'how it feels to be hated' for supporting Newcastle. 

Agree with the first para but the fans did get a say in it. They campaigned for this takeover.

The point has been made but it’s not a coincidence that KSA chose this particular football club, with a group of fans so desperate to be rid of the previous owner that they’ll wilfully go in to bat for genocidal war criminals.

I am from Saudi Arabia .. I recently supported this club because I love my country of course.

I am disappointed to see this thread, but I understand your concerns.

However, in my country we love seeing NUFC fans celebrating our flag and wearing the traditional clothes.. we are building bridges!

Our culture is badly portrayed in the media for many years.. always looked like the villains in movies.. backward.. women haters...etc.

Now, we are changing .. women now have far more rights than EVER!

BUT not to please your Western values.. only reasonably meeting you in the middle according to our values and morals.

We love our country.. we love Newcastle United .. period.

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

Agree with the first para but the fans did get a say in it. They campaigned for this takeover.

The point has been made but it’s not a coincidence that KSA chose this particular football club, with a group of fans so desperate to be rid of the previous owner that they’ll wilfully go in to bat for genocidal war criminals.

The fans agreed with it, but whether they agreed with it or disagreed with it, they still had absolutely no say in it. The outcry over the Super League is pretty much the only time I can think of in the last 30 years where fan power has actually stopped something as big as this from happening, and it had to be unanimous and sustained for it to work. 

36 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that but the reaction portrayed in that article is just a million fucking miles away from being the right way to respond. 

Haven't seen a single person suggest that we could or should have done anything differently. Football fans know that they wouldn't stop supporting their club and that a majority of fans would welcome in the Saudis in exactly the same manner if it happened at their club. All criticism I've seen from fans from fans of other clubs are obviously just using any stick to beat us with knowing fine well that their own fans would have acted in exactly the same way. That's my take on it anyway.

Going on like there's anything that can be defended, whinging about how we're misunderstood, and developing a seige mentality is just ridiculously thin-skinned. 

Edited by kisearch

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I haven’t read the whole thing so haven’t seem Greg’s part but we can’t just give people a pass because they are on here. 

Greg's comments are more measured than Hurst (not that that would be hard mind.)

I'm just not sure what the article was supposed to achieve or why the trust got involved with it tbf. There isn't even any real insight or novelty to it- the best bits are a rehash of the age old "deluded geordies" argument which Alex does his best to live up to with a bizarre pop at Watford.

19 minutes ago, Saudi Magpie said:

I am from Saudi Arabia .. I recently supported this club because I love my country of course.

However, in my country we love seeing NUFC fans celebrating our flag and wearing the traditional clothes.. we are building bridges!

Our culture is badly portrayed in the media for many years.. always looked like the villains in movies.. backward.. women haters...etc.

BUT not to please your Western values.. only reasonably meeting you in the middle according to our values and morals.

I dont think there's a middleway on values and morale on women or lgbtq+, and thats why there are negative reactions. All should be equal, no exceptions.
Hopefully there will be further progress on positive changes on their rights in the near future! :) 

Hopefully i dont offend with this, that is not what im trying to do at all. We all have the same love in NUFC :) 

At what point does Greg become open to criticism as well? Past efforts not at all forgotten or ignored, but it’s becoming harder and harder to separate him and Hurst these days. Neither of them speak for me, and I certainly wasn’t desperate for Bruce to succeed. Unless I’m not considered a fan?

”Every single fan has been desperate for him to succeed. An expectation of failure is something different.” - A. Hurst, 2021

The most surprising thing about it is Caulkin's involvement for me tbh. He's far, far better than that. Last week he was writing about how he couldn't sleep over the moral conflict he was feeling, this week he's putting out articles about victimised Newcastle fans? 

Just now, ManDoon said:

Well yeah that’s the point I’m making I guess, I see a lot of people pinning this whole thing on Hurst and I think that’s a bit hypocritical tbh. Everyone should be open for criticism. (Except me) 

In fairness I was so busy grinding my teeth at Scabbers' pathetic bullshit comments in that article I don't think I properly read Greg's :lol: 

Agree he should be open to criticism just the same although I think Hurst is by far the worst of any fan who gets regular airtime.

“Criticism was based on his record and his ability,” Tomlinson says. “None of it was personal.”

This just isn’t true at all, either, at least for me. I criticised the awful cunt based on his record and ability, but it was definitely personal as well.

51 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

“The shields were already up,” he says. “I’m ready for it. Always have been.” Guy talking like this is a war ffs. Embarrassing. 

As well as that the “shields” clearly aren’t up if he’s getting so butt hurt about everything said about the takeover. 

This is ultimately the problem with talking heads, though. It inevitably turns into them speaking on behalf of everyone else rather than just on behalf of themselves or their organisation. It’s gotten so far away from what it all started out as, but the ego is a powerful thing.

This shouldn’t have been published.

27 minutes ago, Saudi Magpie said:

If you understand our concerns then why are you disappointed to see this thread? This thread could vanish along with our concerns, or it could just as easily be retitled "Well that turned out alright, didn't it?"

My over-riding hope for this partnership is just as you say, but until I see that manifest I will continue to have concerns.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

At what point does Greg become open to criticism as well? Past efforts not at all forgotten or ignored, but it’s becoming harder and harder to separate him and Hurst these days. Neither of them speak for me, and I certainly wasn’t desperate for Bruce to succeed. Unless I’m not considered a fan?

”Every single fan has been desperate for him to succeed. An expectation of failure is something different.” - A. Hurst, 2021

His bootlicking letter welcoming “his excellency” on the night of the takeover was pure cringe. 

25 minutes ago, kisearch said:

The fans agreed with it, but whether they agreed with it or disagreed with it, they still had absolutely no say in it. The outcry over the Super League is pretty much the only time I can think of in the last 30 years where fan power has actually stopped something as big as this from happening, and it had to be unanimous and sustained for it to work. 

After the takeover initially failed, do you think KSA would have pursued it further if not for the enormous backing they got from the fans? If fans had instead protested their potential ownership I really doubt this would have happened.

I don’t think it’s right to say that fans can’t have their say, they just didn’t want to on this occasion because a) no more Ashley and b) oceans of oil money.

The owner's a murderous king, the two 10% owners are inherited wealth Tories - one of which literally worked for Boris Johnson - and two of the most prominent, self-appointed 'voice of the fans' are also balls-out-of-the-bath Tories. I think it's fair to say that our fanbase isn't really represented by people anything like us. :lol: 

Edited by kisearch

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I can’t get over people using that non ironically, genuinely. Do people call the queen “her majesty” like in real life? No thanks Geoff. 

It comes across like they have to use it because it's his official title and not using it cpuld be culturally disrespectful. I think it maybe loses something in translation because it sounds a bit daft in English. I thought it was quite funny on the day of the takeover and the presenter on SSN went from basically saying (and I paraphrase) "this awful regime has committed some horrific atrocities. Here's a statement from one of the cunts himself, His Excellency..." sounded completely inappropriate :lol: