The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

Just now, Happinesstan said:

I was more referring to the fact that we'll overlook anything to get rid of Ashley. It's not a criticism of the fans btw. It just demonstrates how shrewd they are. They most likely expected opposition fans to protest. And have utilised it to the benefit of their campaign.

It's the whole package, a club that's been undervalued and unloved with a set of fans passionate and with a lot of love to give, it's an easy win. Once again, unscrupulous billionairres make all the moves and all the money and the supporters are the ones left facing the ire and picking up the pieces for the crime of wanting to support their club. It's an horrific situation to put any paying fan in that just wants a football team to be proud of in a league that values money above all else.

18 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

The fucking victim complex on this. Nobody is guilting you into anything by continuing to highlight human rights abuse at a time when their is a very expensive campaign to sweep it under the rug. But hey, we've already swept the PL corruption under the rug, so what's it matter.

You don’t know what people are or aren’t trying to guilt me into, so that’s a bit of an odd response TBH.

Just now, Mattoon said:

It's the whole package, a club that's been undervalued and unloved with a set of fans passionate and with a lot of love to give, it's an easy win. Once again, unscrupulous billionairres make all the moves and all the money and the supporters are the ones left facing the ire and picking up the pieces for the crime of wanting to support their club. It's an horrific situation to put any paying fan in that just wants a football team to be proud of in a league that values money above all else.

Unscrupulous billionaire individuals vs murderous political regimes. I'd rather do without both and turn football back into a sport, not an entertainment package.

9 minutes ago, Smal said:

On the contrary fans absolutely pushed and campaigned relentlessly for this takeover to happen, so they certainly did have a choice. Staveley herself said it never would have happened without that.

Yes, you're right, but this is because the majority of people see that these lot have been allowed to buy clubs in this country, and so from a sporting point of view they want that for their club and area.

It's either all fans come together against this and start boycotting games until all these types of owners sell up and get out, otherwise if not Newcastle it would have just been another club. The reality is if similar owners to ours came in for Palace tomorrow or any of these other clubs it would be widely accepted by the majority of their fan bases.

And so ultimately if these lot are buying up clubs and the fans can't really stop this as long as a price is agreed and the PL is signing these sales off, then the most that can be done is what is happening now with the various campaigns to highlight the issues with these owners, and so people should be allowed to do that.

8 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Unscrupulous billionaire individuals vs murderous political regimes. I'd rather do without both and turn football back into a sport, not an entertainment package.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how we get there now. Everyone is just too selfish.

If someone tried to get a campaign going for fans of all clubs to stop going to matches until all controversial owners were removed, most fans from the clubs that are all complaining at the minute wouldn't even want to give up going to the games and watching their matches.

23 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Not sure I’d entirely agree with that. Some people feel football support on a level that I don’t, for some people it’s a compulsion. Some people maybe don’t have much else to do, follow, be interested in? Ultimately yes they do have a choice, but it’s not as simple as buying an ethical brand of soap powder over another one, it’s much more complicated than that.

Yeah of course, I agree. I’m just saying be careful if you walked away because of Ashley and came back under the current owners. If you make that argument. 

Still haven't heard what I'm supposed to do with the human rights abuse information, information which I've known about for my full adult life. "Be aware of", doesn't mean anything. I'm aware of it, now what?

17 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

They both made their money standing on a pile of corpses, some more obvious than others. I think every supporter would like to get back to a simpler time wherefootball was about just the sport but sadly that ship has sailed.

20 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

It's an horrific situation to put any paying fan in that just wants a football team to be proud of in a league that values money above all else.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on that.

And that reminds me. There was more protest when Wonga were our sponsors.

23 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I’m sure we all would…

1 minute ago, STM said:

Still haven't heard what I'm supposed to do with the human rights abuse information, information which I've known about for my full adult life. "Be aware of", doesn't mean anything. I'm aware of it, now what?

I'm not sure I understand either.

These regimes don't suffer any consequences where it matters, as all countries trade freely with them all, and people from all over flock to their countries for extravagant holidays. 

People talk about sports washing, but do they even really care about how they are perceived if it isn't costing them anything tangible? If anything buying a club like Newcastle draws far more attention to the bad things they do than any kind of good will people suggest it brings.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Be careful of what mate?

Making the argument that you don’t have any choice about being a fan. 

I realise nobody was saying that here, I just thought it was an interesting idea :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Making the argument that you don’t have any choice about being a fan. 

I walked away from Ashley’s NUFC, but not entirely MY NUFC, I’ve not returned under the new owners, but feel I’ve got my club back some what. I’m under no illusions it’s not the same club as it was or my ideal NUFC, and I doubt I will be back fully, but again, I’ve said from day one it’s not the likes of PIF that are bad for our game, but the likes of Ashley. SA are bad for society or at least their society, but what can I do about that other than disagree and say nah, I’m not supporting that shit, when it comes to NUFC though even under Ashley it was hard to say nah, I’m not supporting that shite.

There's nothing racist about that banner, it depicts an actual person and does not resort to a grotesque depiction of human features (nose, lips etc) that racist material uses.

What it's missing is a Tory on it, selling the sword to him.

4 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Different times is it?

Of course, howay man, I get what you’re saying, but be realistic.