The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

He speaks well there. Have to say I'm liking him more and more. His Overlap feature on Sky is excellent too.

He seems to have found some confidence to speak up for people recently, good on him. Possibly due to the vacuum left by actual politicians.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I like the sentiment, but I'm not sure there's any evidence it'll lead to change. The light shone on Qatar and they still killed loads of immigrant labour building the stadiums.

He's right that more discussion is happening of course, they are more high profile.

Aye. An no one gives a fuck. Also reports of slave labour. Nevermind.

I'm all for gobbling up any silver lining or glass-half-full point of view when it comes to the source of our new wealth, so I enjoyed that from Neville.

I'm having a harder time feeling okay about it than I thought I would, so anything like that is music to my ears. Weird cos it's not like I didn't have 18 months to prepare my point of view. Maybe it's just my general apathy still lingering around on account of Bruce etc. 

But the thought of us being pawns in a much bigger game that has nothing to do with Newcastle or NUFC - and us only benefiting because of us being used like that - leaves a slightly sour taste. Guess I just need to remind myself that no one's owner is in it purely for the football these days, and just hope that they grow us as organically and as non-artificially as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm all for gobbling up any silver lining or glass-half-full point of view when it comes to the source of our new wealth, so I enjoyed that from Neville.

I'm having a harder time feeling okay about it than I thought I would, so anything like that is music to my ears. Weird cos it's not like I didn't have 18 months to prepare my point of view. Maybe it's just my general apathy still lingering around on account of Bruce etc. 

But the thought of us being pawns in a much bigger game that has nothing to do with Newcastle or NUFC is one that - and us only benefiting because of us being used like that - leaves a slightly sour taste. Guess I just need to remind myself that no one's owner is in it purely for the football these days, and just hope that they grow us as organically and as non-artificially as possible. 

Feel the same Yorkster. The general feeling that football is wrong doesn't go away just because we start benefitting from it. That said, I suppose we do have to accept that this is the only real way to compete, and it's the nature of capitalism combined with box office entertainment. 

This is why I'll never get the 'we're richer than you' chants or (vice-versa) the way other fans will take the piss out of us for our ownership. It's just not happening at our level. I would never have wished someone like Ashley on any club, and I certainly wouldn't have a go at the fans of any other club based on who their owner is.

I don't like that the money comes from Saudi Arabia, or that the PL in general allows takeovers like this at all. But it does, and it's an amazing sport and great spectacle, so I'll still be able to enjoy that aspect.

FWIW I hated that BBC Premier League documentary, the gaggle of money men and charlatans at the beginning was very hard to stomach. That's when this all started.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

If all this stuff brings light on the atrocities committed by SA I’m all for it and if it helps bring about some change there (doubt it), even better. We need to get used to it!

Edited by HTT II

13 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Bit racist isn't It?  just a generic looking Arab bloke swinging a sword covered in blood :lol:

Actually yeah, I think probably the depiction is (I mean what's with his colour)

But I'm fine with fans attacking the PL for the O&D test and SA passing it.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Got no major issue with the flag personally. Think it's a bit on a knife edge with regards to political correctness like. It's more aimed at the league than us abd if the shoe was on the other foot I think we'd be feeling the same.

We need to adapt as a club now though, we need to form a siege mentality and quick, right now, we're everyones enemy, except for perhaps Man City and Chelsea (for now!).

Every game is everyone's cup final against us, they claim it's on grounds of morality, but really it's because we might bypass them. 

All decent folk look after family and community. Everything else is hyperbolic nonsense. I don't pretend to know that a wife murderer in Tenant Creek believes that his people have been subjugated and forced to survive and live in a drunken isolation. When I grew up in the 60's we were "educated" that the bungs gave up there land without a whimper. Did not even fight back. It was only when my wife and I went around Australia (our land) that we discovered, listened and read the history in each town and region that we discovered a completely heartbreaking history of genocide.  Every town and every region, hunted down if they resisted the English Colonisers.