Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

12 hours ago, Away Toon said:

Nobody is ripping up the defense just replacing Burn with Targett, which more people on here are advocating. Now if Eddie doesn't think Targett is a better LB than Dan Burn you have to wonder who sanctioned buying him.

Eh? Target doesn’t become a bad signing just because his competition is having a blinding season.

It's time to evolve... not revolve.

I think he'll be really relieved that this weekend is done now. I feel like we've been walking a tightrope the last few weeks in terms of team selection & squad management.

This is a big test for Howe now, a bit of a sticky patch and we'll see how ready he is to be ruthless - this is bigger club management decision-making time. I'm a bit worried for him with Wilson, feels like he's been trying to back him in spite of form which is against his entire managerial ethos of playing based on merit, competition in the squad etc. You can carry a striker in crap form for a while when you're vying for midtable but not when you want to be towards the top, especially when there aren't plenty of goals elsewhere.

He has to turn this disappointment around for the rest of the season and start building our next phase. For me, the rest of this campaign should be about getting our attacking mojo in order and preparing for next year. It'll likely lead to more losses than the first half of the season but it's something we have to go through. That, or we revert to more of a counter attacking team and re-style next campaign.

Options are to go for it with Isak and Wilson, but that may mean sacrificing ASM for Willock or Gordon to try and preserve defensive stability. Or he tries ASM off Isak and Gordon on the left. Maybe put Isak, Wilson & ASM together as a 3 somehow if we want to keep 4-3-3. I don't buy that we don't have goals in the squad, we can have a decent attack to see us through with some tinkering and perseverance.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Are we talking about Ashby here? Ridiculous if so :lol:

Glaring holes in his game FFS, we just tracked the lad for a wile and got a deal done, a matter of days before our most important game in decades. Doesn't mean anything at all about his game. 

Of course it does. He hasn't been on the bench for any game since he joined us. Difficult to track him properly when all he can be evaluated against is development team football. Maybe he just wasn't as promising as he looked against opponents in Premier League 2? If there's no issues and he looks good, why in the world has he not been an option from the bench?

57 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The Ashby thing is genuinely weird.

He's 21 and made 7 senior appearances by the looks of things. That's an incredibly low amount for a player so highly rated. At the same age, Trippier played a full season in the Championship. Longstaff a season and a half of mens football.

That's part of my point though - if he isn't fit to play at this level now, time is running out quickly because 21 just isn't very young for a top flight footballer. Most of the top flight players that turn good start to get eased into the side around 18-19 or loaned out to be regular first team starters, and some are even established top flight first team players by 21. We got Kuol in January and he is now playing regularly first team football (albeit from the bench most of the times) at the age of 18. If he in 3 years is in our squad but not even getting picked to be on the bench, I'll be worried he may not be good enough to play for us either - with the same caveat that it isn't too late, but that something needs to happen fairly quickly.

I was mosty agreeing with your point.

I can understand people not being concerned - it's early days - but the whole thing is genuinely weird. I'm a little assured by the fact that West Ham & NUFC hierarchy seem to rate him highly. But the lack of appearances for West Ham and yes even us, is a genuine amber/red flag.

We don't have a stacked bench. A lot of deadwood get 5-10 minutes a game, why doesn't he get that? 

Edited by The College Dropout

57 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Eh? Target doesn’t become a bad signing just because his competition is having a blinding season.

You think Burn "is having a blinding season". He's a reasonable left sided CH but is an extremely limited LB who offers nothing going forward. Targett is not a particularly good LB either but somebody gave the ok to buy him and presumably not to be back up to Dan Burn.

3 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

I’d give Ashby a chance to you know, play a game in the PL for us before we start saying he’s not going to make it.

Good that nobody is saying he's not going to make it then.

I'm happy for him to get a lot of playing time, same as I am for Anderson. I'd love it if Howe gave Ashby the chance to start f.ex against Wolves and Forest after the Man City game. Give Trippier a rest, ready on the bench to step in if Ashby is struggling. Ashby and Anderson need to get the chance now to show if they can cut it. Training and 5-10 minutes every other week isn't enough. If Howe don't think he can offer them more they need to be loaned out or moved on. I was optimistic by Howes statement after pre-season thinking Anderson would get more chances but sadly he hasn't had the opportunity to settle into the side.

10 hours ago, Conjo said:

21 (or 22 as he'll soon be) is young in life, but not that young for a PL footballer. He hasn't even made our bench which is pretty damning considering how it's looked the last month, and has hardly played first team football at any point in his career so far. It's not too late of course, but if he isn't even in contention by this age he's most likely not going to make it at this level.

I mean you’ve literally said it’s most likely he’s not going to make it at this level? 

Shaw (Malacia), Chilwell (Cucarella), Robertson (Tsimikas), Zinchenko (Tierney), Ake, Davies (Sessegnon). I think we are lagging behind a bit in the LB position. Targett is a reasonable LB defensively but offers little going forward. We need an elite level LB for where we are hoping to go.

28 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

You think Burn "is having a blinding season". He's a reasonable left sided CH but is an extremely limited LB who offers nothing going forward. Targett is not a particularly good LB either but somebody gave the ok to buy him and presumably not to be back up to Dan Burn.

Correct, he's a crucial part of the best defence in the league :thup: Extremely limited ffs [emoji38]

From what I've seen from West Ham fans Ashby has real potential and should have been getting games for the first team. For some reason they say Moyes just doesn't trust the kids and hardly plays many of them or give them much of a chance. 

This is why Ashby wanted out as he said himself he wasn't getting a chance there. 

For us I think we rate him highly but we need to get him up to match practice and fitness that the PL demands. I've seen very few videos of him but what I have seen has been that he's very energetic and has a very good free kick ability. 

He does seem like the perfect protege for Trippier, and I'm excited to see him in our first team which will definitely happen once he's ready.