Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

the stuff laid out in that video is exactly why I think we'll do better than expected in Europe next year. I don't think European sides will quite know how deal with the tactical nuances and flexibilities of our play. I think we'll have to be patient in the league 'cause we'll have less preparation time than usual to deal with other Prem sides, but I reckon we'll get out of the groups in Europe.

16 minutes ago, Smal said:

the stuff laid out in that video is exactly why I think we'll do better than expected in Europe next year. I don't think European sides will quite know how deal with the tactical nuances and flexibilities of our play. I think we'll have to be patient in the league 'cause we'll have less preparation time than usual to deal with other Prem sides, but I reckon we'll get out of the groups in Europe.

100%. I think we'll really take one or two to the cleaners next season, I don't think too many teams play like us in world football and plus we're bound to evolve slightly anyway. So even if some coaches decide to pour over tapes of our play this year, it won't be the same by the time we play them.

I think also Eddie is the obsessive type, the type to be a little stung by how Brighton worked us over in August and Villa late in the season and will not want that to happen again.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

8 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

100%. I think we'll really take one or two to the cleaners next season, I don't think too many teams play like us in world football and plus we're bound to evolve slightly anyway. So even if some coaches decide to pour over tapes of our play this year, it won't be the same by the time we play them.

I think also Eddie is the obsessive type, the type to be a little stung by how Brighton worked us over in August and Villa late in the season and will not want that to happen again.

yeah, I think the most important thing is we keep the identity of the team with physical, high energy players. If there's style in recent years that we're most similar to it's Liverpool when they were at their peak before the midfielders all left or got old. 

Edited by Smal

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

yeah, I think the most important thing is we keep the identity of the team with physical, high energy players. If there's style in recent years that we're most similar to it's Liverpool when they were at their peak before the midfielders all left or got old. 

Agree and think that was Liverpool's main mistake this year, they waited a year too long to replace the likes of Henderson. They'll be back next year, unfortunately.

I am extremely curious in the tactical direction/evolution we take, and hugely excited to see how we improve the squad but more in the way we develop tactically and strategically, rather than the amount spent. We're in excellent hands.

9 minutes ago, Smal said:

Tifo spent the first twenty minutes of their podcast comparing us to Klopps early seasons at Liverpool, there was some okay stuff there if you can get past the inane banter. Very complimentary about us in the main.

5 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Agree and think that was Liverpool's main mistake this year, they waited a year too long to replace the likes of Henderson. They'll be back next year, unfortunately.

I am extremely curious in the tactical direction/evolution we take, and hugely excited to see how we improve the squad but more in the way we develop tactically and strategically, rather than the amount spent. We're in excellent hands.

I think/hope we will continue with the same principles, but with added quality we'll naturally gain more possession and control too. Adding more comfortable ball players than (as much as I love them) Dan Burn, Sean Longstaff Miguel Almiron and eventually Nick Pope will automatically give us more security in possession. We just have to make sure we get the upgrades right in order to maintain the same strengths too. 

1 minute ago, Smal said:

I think/hope we will continue with the same principles, but with added quality we'll naturally gain more possession and control too. Adding more comfortable ball players than (as much as I love them) Dan Burn, Sean Longstaff Miguel Almiron and eventually Nick Pope will automatically give us more security in possession. We just have to make sure we get the upgrades right in order to maintain the same strengths too. 

The more ways we have to play, the more flexible we can be, all the better. Hard to do without pretty major squad improvements and with Eddie quoted as saying without CL (or was it just Europe in general?), we "wouldn't have been able to do much". That is a somewhat scary thought because, as much as this 22/23 squad will live long in the memory and be cherished by all, without a decent amount of improvement, it's easy to see us ending up slightly stale next year. Long-winded way of saying "thank fuck we got CL".

This will not age very well.. Just like the rest of the things that talksport has said about newcastle after takeover. Saving this for later:lol: Howe did "too well" for Bournemouth for many many years.. And then he use Moyes as an example, West Ham had relegation form for more than a year with a good squad and same spendings as us. Ofcourse people started turning on Moyes after that, nothing to do with previous achievements or being victim of own success..

Edited by Erikse

Eddie, and leadership team, in their first full season have delivered best ever (Premier) performance in terms of: least number of losses (and lowest percentage losses), fewest goals against (and percentage goals against).  Second highest number of draws (and percentage draws; joint 6th highest wins), second  best goal difference, and joint second points per game. Not too shabby! 

IMG_6507.thumb.jpeg.456e72ca61bd035f417a967e1addd486.jpeg

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

23 hours ago, Erikse said:

This will not age very well.. Just like the rest of the things that talksport has said about newcastle after takeover. Saving this for later:lol: Howe did "too well" for Bournemouth for many many years.. And then he use Moyes as an example, West Ham had relegation form for more than a year with a good squad and same spendings as us. Ofcourse people started turning on Moyes after that, nothing to do with previous achievements or being victim of own success..

Eddie's has already achieved two miracles in a) escaping relegation from a position where no team had escaped before and b) getting us into the top four. Keeping us in the top four will be another challenge, but one no bigger than the two he's already met.

So many times over the last 18 months, I've thought - right, now we're going to get found out and put in our place - but it hasn't happened. This man is writing his own story.

9 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Eddie's has already achieved two miracles in a) escaping relegation from a position where no team had escaped before and b) getting us into the top four. Keeping us in the top four will be another challenge, but one no bigger than the two he's already met.

So many times over the last 18 months, I've thought - right, now we're going to get found out and put in our place - but it hasn't happened. This man is writing his own story.

The most impressive is how he adapts. I was sure we were found out in that january/february period, but he managed to change things around a bit. Certain managers keeps going with whatever is not working, because they don't know how to change it up. People have been saying that we will drop off for a year for christs sake, it's allways the same.[emoji38] We might drop off, but I don't think that a top 6 placement would put pressure on Howe just because we got top 4 somehow this season.. Still don't understand the Moyes comparison either, he's literally a proof that previous success with the club can save you from getting sacked in tough periods.

Edited by Erikse

I know we were amazing in a lot of games but Man Utd really was the complete performance like. We battered them.