Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, Menace said:

I mean Scottish league is completely different kettle of fish to the prem tbf

I don’t disagree. But he has won the league in every country he has managed in. Australia, Japan, Scotland and the Asia Cup with the national team. His brand of football is possession based and expansive, so would translate well to the premier league, with the right squad. I know Pep and the city group are huge admirers of his ability. 

I guess most of you remember we finished last season with Top 4 form, establishing a base for this season.

Anyway, I'd not looked recently, but we're now second top this season in expected goals and expected goal difference, i.e., above Arsenal in both categories.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/Premier-League-Stats

This confirms we deserve everything that has been achieved and suggests a good few of those draws we've had may well right themselves. We'll win them because a decent number of the shots that have been hitting the post should go in.

The future's bright!

I never thought after Sir Bobby, Keegan, and even Rafa that I'd fall in love with another manager but here we are. And I think he's the best of the bunch, as crazy as that sounds. With the greatest respect to the other three, they were each very rigid in their philosophies of football and each struggled to adjust as times and tactics changed around them. All brilliant, of course, but perhaps too stuck to their own way of thinking to be a long-term success. With Eddie, he's already shown enormous adaptability, changing his system from Bournemouth to us, and then changing his system again this season as teams adjusted to our high press. He is remarkably humble, incredibly driven, and seems to have a deep passion for learning and improving. The players all seem to love him, even a "maverick" like ASM, who has bought in to a system that doesn't often feature him. 

I wouldn't trade Howe at this stage for anyone. He has earned enormous credit and regardless of what happens from here, he should be given all the time and patience in the world.

31 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I guess most of you remember we finished last season with Top 4 form, establishing a base for this season.

Anyway, I'd not looked recently, but we're now second top this season in expected goals and expected goal difference, i.e., above Arsenal in both categories.

This confirms we deserve everything that has been achieved and suggests a good few of those draws we've had may well right themselves. We'll win them because a decent number of the shots that have been hitting the post should go in.

The future's bright!

By my rough maths, if we had two more elite players we would be absolutely smashing teams and winning the league. Approximately. 

You know what really confuses me, obviously we've spent all this money to get us in the CL.

Well why the fuck didn't we just keep our beloved Steve Bruce in charge, should've been shown some respect for his work.

He was even spot on about that guy that relegated Bournemouth. Christ some fans these days.

10 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

You know what really confuses me, obviously we've spent all this money to get us in the CL.

Well why the fuck didn't we just keep our beloved Steve Bruce in charge, should've been shown some respect for his work.

He was even spot on about that guy that relegated Bournemouth. Christ some fans these days.

The fact the owners saw he was a total charlatan early doors is one of the more joyful moments.

2 hours ago, Stottie said:

The future's bright!

The future’s black and white! :indi:

5 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Up the quality and maintain the culture.  We'll be a lock in top 4 club.  Not easy, mind.

Should only need top 5 next season to get the Champs league money.

On 23/05/2023 at 22:31, Barnes23 said:

Brilliant breakdown of our tactical approach this season under Howe. 

I didn’t really agree with much of this thread and then I’ve seen this morning that this account just chats a load of random old shite :lol:

https://twitter.com/lehmannsterms_/status/1661392144542597122?s=46&t=ESLUrfpWavUWtHVLH1vDSA

image.thumb.png.a655f5712ed78d3c0eee5c3653b01913.png

image.thumb.png.c6d2d05067d19c95f8bb1c67066ce645.png

image.thumb.jpeg.d7f6713b9ac29df6faa08e69b8ef2fb0.jpeg

Edited by Smal

22 hours ago, Smal said:

I didn’t really agree with much of this thread and then I’ve seen this morning that this account just chats a load of random old shite :lol:

https://twitter.com/lehmannsterms_/status/1661392144542597122?s=46&t=ESLUrfpWavUWtHVLH1vDSA

image.thumb.png.a655f5712ed78d3c0eee5c3653b01913.png

image.thumb.png.c6d2d05067d19c95f8bb1c67066ce645.png

image.thumb.jpeg.d7f6713b9ac29df6faa08e69b8ef2fb0.jpeg

:lol: Usually any kind of Bruce endorsement would be an immediate disqualifier for me but I'm going to assume he failed to draw the connection to the system and coaching that Bruce inherited from Rafa. 

As for the rest, I think critical comments towards Howe during/as a result of his final season at Bournemouth were quite commonplace and there's a certain inevitability to that given how poor they looked at the time, even though it needs to be seen in the much wider context of everything Howe achieved there. His success here is off the back of continued learning and development after that experience. 

Which bits did you disagree with, out of interest? I don't agree with all of his takes by any means but he has our pressing structure spot on imo. 

8 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Which bits did you disagree with, out of interest? I don't agree with all of his takes by any means but he has our pressing structure spot on imo. 

most of his pressing stuff is accurate, agreed. The whole thread is just full of typical twitter tactico word salad for no good reason though, which is a bit grating tbh :lol:

The stuff about Willock dropping deep to form a double pivot in build up is just wrong, isn’t it. Willock is rarely, if ever, involved in build up and usually plays close to the last line or hovers out wide. Only one of our 8s contribute to build up and even then it’s usually Longstaff down the right with Trips, Bruno and Almiron. Willock has amongst the fewest passes of any midfielder in the prem this season and the left sided 8 is pretty much a pure transitional player. Burn inverting into a central midfield position was a feature against Brighton and Leicester and that’s about it. I don’t remember it happening at all before those games - I like it though; it’s a good way to maintain pressure.

The one overarching feature of our build up is how we progress pretty much everything down the right hand side but that’s not even mentioned. It’s like he watched the Brighton game and based his thread off that. I think the account’s takes are generally a bit lazy.

This poor bloke must be exhausted with the press conferences, like. Nearly twenty minutes of discussing the season's achievements and someone asks him "how good has the season been?" Tedious or what. 

I'm just surprised they've stopped asking him if he can believe how much things have changed since he first arrived. Think he got that in every one for about six months. 

For all the talk about the Saudi money, if you asked supporters of other clubs who they would most like as their manager should need arise, I'd bet you 95% would say Eddie Howe. 

The other 5% are mad.

38 minutes ago, Cronky said:

For all the talk about the Saudi money, if you asked supporters of other clubs who they would most like as their manager should need arise, I'd bet you 95% would say Eddie Howe. 

The other 5% are mad.

The other 5% are Steve Bruce, by volume

Thought it was interesting that in his press conference yesterday he said that the transfer window last summer wasn’t a reflection of what his vision was, would like to know what he had in mind.

Good that he said he was happy with it though. To be fair we did sign two of the best young players in Europe and an absolute bargain in Pope. 

5 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Thought it was interesting that in his press conference yesterday he said that the transfer window last summer wasn’t a reflection of what his vision was, would like to know what he had in mind.

Good that he said he was happy with it though. To be fair we did sign two of the best young players in Europe and an absolute bargain in Pope. 

Think of the most entertaining, efficient, exciting, winning football team yet to be seen on the world stage! That’s his vision. That’s going to be us! 

IMG_0663.thumb.jpeg.2e14a1c5d6a7dcd38a4858750bf275c8.jpeg