Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

20 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I know what you mean, but this is his first time in European competition. I don't think he's got a choice.

Jurgen Klopp doesn't rotate that much.

Allison, TAA, VVD, Robertson, Salah, Mane, Henderson - in their prime, they were clocking up over 4,000 minutes a season. That's 40+ 90-minute games a season.

From what I've seen from Ten Hag - he runs his players into the ground.

We have a few positions where the starting role is close between a few players, and I expect rotation there. ST, CM 2x, RW. But like fullback, Trippier gets at least 120 minutes across the next 2. I reckon he starts both and gets a minimum of an hour each. Or starts one and comes off the bench for another. It is a similar thing for Burn.

But I do expect Livra and Hall to start to get decent minutes. And I hope they play really well and make it tough for Howe. But the reality is Howe will feel we need 7 points from the next 3 league games no matter how we do in the CL. And we need to do our best in the CL. 

A manager like Benitez genuinely liked to rotate. You can play well and win. Next game he's made 3 changes. Howe isn't like that. Dan Burn 90 minutes week in week out, winning streak, losing streak :laugh:

31 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I know what you mean, but this is his first time in European competition. I don't think he's got a choice.

This early in the season he absolutely does have the choice. We saw in January with the cup run that he was more than happy to keep the XI consistent despite congestion. With how we've started this campaign, I think he'll be focusing on continuing to set some of the standards from Brentford over the next couple of games to set the squad competition up for the rest of the campaign.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm glad he started both Barnes & Gordon. I didn't like how wide both often were, but I think that was tactical to pen in the Brentford fullbacks, which contributed to Brentford not really having a kick.

I think that's the way forward for us. 

And whilst I love miggy, he's predictable and they aren't 

Really like the potential of Gordon/Barnes. Pace, decent workrate, both can go either side having decent weaker pegs, they can either stay wider or take up inside forward roles depending on overlaps from FBs or the midfielders. Main component they're missing is ability to consistently beat a couple of players if needed but they're very capable 1v1. 

Barnes primarily left makes sense due to his shooting/finishing and nous for finding space. 

7 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Really like the potential of Gordon/Barnes. Pace, decent workrate, both can go either side having decent weaker pegs, they can either stay wider or take up inside forward roles depending on overlaps from FBs or the midfielders. Main component they're missing is ability to consistently beat a couple of players if needed but they're very capable 1v1. 

Barnes primarily left makes sense due to his shooting/finishing and nous for finding space. 

I wonder if Miggy wasn't playing in South America mid-week - if he still would've went with those 2.

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

This early in the season he absolutely does have the choice. We saw in January with the cup run that he was more than happy to keep the XI consistent despite congestion. With how we've started this campaign, I think he'll be focusing on continuing to set some of the standards from Brentford over the next couple of games to set the squad competition up for the rest of the campaign.

We-el, I've just checked, and he did rotate in the early rounds of the League Cup and FA Cup. He only started fielding his strongest XI when we'd got to the quarter-finals of the League Cup.

The other factors in European competition are the extra travel time, the complications of foreign travel, and the quality of the opposition. That's mental rather than physical tiredness, but I think it's a factor. And there's potential intrusion into the normal time he'd like for training. 

Eddie mentioned that he was pleased that the travel distances weren't too far on this occasion, so it's an issue that he's very aware of. And it's not like the Europa League where you can end up in Azerbaijan. 

All in all though, I'm quite sure that if we weren't playing on Tuesday, there would have been a different team on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Cronky said:

We-el, I've just checked, and he did rotate in the early rounds of the League Cup and FA Cup. He only started fielding his strongest XI when we'd got to the quarter-finals of the League Cup.

The other factors in European competition are the extra travel time, the complications of foreign travel, and the quality of the opposition. That's mental rather than physical tiredness, but I think it's a factor. And there's potential intrusion into the normal time he'd like for training. 

Eddie mentioned that he was pleased that the travel distances weren't too far on this occasion, so it's an issue that he's very aware of. And it's not like the Europa League where you can end up in Azerbaijan. 

All in all though, I'm quite sure that if we weren't playing on Tuesday, there would have been a different team on Saturday.

That's why I said in January where we we played PL opposition in the League Cup (can include December though for the cup game vs. Bournemouth). We played a lot of games between the restart and the Cup Final and he only properly rotated for Sheffield Wednesday in that period iirc. A lot of the noise on here was that he wasn't mixing it up enough during that period as it coincided with us struggling to put some 'easier' teams to the sword. 

He knows above all about the importance of momentum hence why he so often keeps selecting a winning team. The factors are nicely lined up for the CL to keep that consistency.

Let's see tomorrow!

He's bang on like. We have to start normalising games like this if we're to start being serious. We wouldn't travel to Sheffield the night before and have a kickaround at Bramall Lane before we play them on Sunday. 

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

Rate this :lol:

He's locked in, love to see it. I noticed in the Bretford Match Cam video there was no pre-game footage. Wonder if Eddie had them back off to keep the lads focused on getting the 3pts.

Edited by The Bonk

Excellent result. Poor performance. 

I stand by it. He’s much more of a motivator than a tactician.  

Holes in the half space. Gap between midfield and defence. Problem for a long time. Isolated striker again and again. Subs look pre determined.  No patterns of play attacking wise. Teams are man marking Bruno - does nothing about it.

The lads worked their bollocks off and Howe deserves credit for fostering that team spirit. But unless we are pressing - we don’t look like a well coached team atm. Tough games but we haven’t looked good from a coaching or tactical perspective beyond hanging in there. 

anyway great point well done to all. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Excellent result. Poor performance. 

I stand by it. He’s much more of a motivator than a tactician.  

Holes in the half space. Gap between midfield and defence. Problem for a long time. Isolated striker again and again. Subs look pre determined.  No patterns of play attacking wise. Teams are man marking Bruno - does nothing about it.

The lads worked their bollocks off and Howe deserves credit for fostering that team spirit. But unless we are pressing - we don’t look like a well coached team atm. Tough games but we haven’t looked good from a coaching or tactical perspective beyond hanging in there. 

anyway great point well done to all. 

I agree. Good post.