Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Some do within our fanbase

Well they are idiots and anyone who takes any credence in their views are idiots too. So work back from there and you shouldn’t have a problem going forward assessing the current team.

10 minutes ago, Ben said:

I think De Zerbi is a very special manager in the same mould as Pep, West Ham showed the best way to beat them is to just sit back and catch them on the break and even then you need to be very lucky.

I think they finish top 4 this season and then a big club takes De Zerbi. I think we played into their hands with our style yesterday and we still haven't clicked as a team yet with to many players off form, we'll be fine after the internationals.

I'm not so sure. Seems like the way we (both teams) currently set up, lead to these sort of results. Both teams gamble on their identity and its hard to change. At our place our press won and we could've had more than 4. Yesterday we could have been 2 or 3 up in 10mins and in the end Couldnt argue with being well beaten by "only 2".

Things evolve and the best managers do that. It'll be interesting to see how Eddie's pans out. One thing's for certain, it won't be overnight, it'll be piece by piece. 

11 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Thinks most of us thought we were an elite team after this summers recruitment, pre-season and first game against Villa. 

Absolutely no one I know who goes to the match with me or I speak to regularly on and away from here think we are an elite team. No one. So not sure where you get “most of us” from but it sounds like you are including yourself. 

Let me break it to you gently. We are not and never have been an elite team. We are a good team and occasionally we can be very good which we proved 22/23. This however is the very beginnings of a new phase so we don’t know what we are yet 23/24 but hopefully time will show we have progressed. As it stands we haven’t. Let’s see where we are come January.

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Absolutely no one I know who goes to the match with me or I speak to regularly on and away from here think we are an elite team. No one. So not sure where you get “most of us” from but it sounds like you are including yourself. 

Let me break it to you gently. We are not and never have been an elite team. We are a good team and occasionally we can be very good which we proved 22/23. This however is the very beginnings of a new phase so we don’t know what we are yet 23/24 but hopefully time will show we have progressed. As it stands we haven’t. Let’s see where we are come January.

I dont think we are now, but admit i got caught up in the moment.

We've shown so far this season that we're still not at City and Liverpool's level (although for 60 minutes we were against Liverpool), and that if we're not on it or if the tactics are a bit off, we can still get a hiding against one of the 6-8th placed teams (like Villa). If win the next 3 I'll still be confident we can repeat last year. If we win say 2 of them, top 5 might be a challenge but no reason we still can't do well and consolidate as a top 6-7 team.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Just now, Displayname said:

I dont think we are now, but admit i got caught up in the moment.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned as I approach one month short of following NUFC for 40 years is never get too high when things are going well but make sure you do enjoy those times as much as you can and never get too low when going through a bad spell. 

This is just the second full season of hopefully the biggest rebirth of our or any football club has witnessed. Try and enjoy it and don’t get too low about the bumps in the road along the way.

Our form started to tail off towards the end of last season. And we've not really picked up this season either.  It is not the results I am concerned about atm it's how we are playing. And we haven't been at our best for a while.  That is what concerns me the most.  Our system just needs a total rethink.

Is "elite" the new "world class" where we chuck teams and players into a category based on our own subjective metrics?

We're a very well coached side, with a few very good players and a few passable players. We lack quality depth, but as time goes on the squad will continue to get stronger.

We've punched well above our weight for two seasons now thanks to Howe and his staff. Whenever we've hit a poor run of form we've always turned it round, which also tells you how healthy the mentality of the squad is and Howe is always looking to tweak. It is interesting how streaky our form is since he took over though.

Edited by The Prophet

23 minutes ago, LFEE said:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned as I approach one month short of following NUFC for 40 years is never get too high when things are going well but make sure you do enjoy those times as much as you can and never get too low when going through a bad spell. 

This is just the second full season of hopefully the biggest rebirth of our or any football club has witnessed. Try and enjoy it and don’t get too low about the bumps in the road along the way.

That’s my philosophy on life [emoji38]  

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

It was never going to be a linear path to success. There will be worse bumps in that road than three losses in a row, one a narrow defeat to the reigning treble holders.

Edited by The Prophet

players seem so mentally fragile compared to last season.

also i think the poster in the other thread nailed it.

"This season is not a reward to last year's team, it's a new season. Earn it! Maybe all the Champions League and Amazon talk, and a few have dropped their levels."

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

100% agree with this - it's easy to get carried away when we beat Villa 5 1, likewise it's easy to go into meltdown when we get beat at Brighton and yes played shit. I'm sticking with Eddie. I had a feeling this season was going to be tougher. The bottom line is if the bad results/performances continue then at some point Eddie will be toast, it's just the nature of elite level sport. However, got to trust the manager and the players, and get behind them.

100% behind wor gaffer, even if he is making some mistakes. It's been such a 9/10 (minimum) performance from him for so long, he was always going to have a dip. Let's back him through this rough period and we'll all be better off for it. 

If you look at last season after a bad run we when on long unbeaten streaks, sure we even lost 3 in a row and then started winning constantly.

Gonna keep positive and hope happens this time as yesterday was trash from start to finish.