Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

He’s angry and I’m glad. No issues with what he said.

I’m not angry at what he said either, since he doesn’t say it every time we lose. It’s a one off type of comment from him anyway.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

He kind of did with the not wanting to shoot thing though :lol:

Yeah. I think he was holding bsck like. Couldn't say what he wanted to and ended up sounding a bit of a plum. 

Should have called them a bunch of bottle jobs and if they can't meet the standard well be moving them on I'm the summer. I mean, he's protected them long enough. It's tongue in cheek comment, but maybe a few of them need to be told publicly this is their future they are playing for.

Christ, Twitter is horrible tonight, a really bad display granted, but the first hiccup in a while, going into the game from the Premier league form chart as third best in the league, now we're back to sack Howe.

Why are our fans so weird, we used to be called the deluded Geordies, its starting to become reality. 

Edited by mighty__mag

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Well, fair play for the accurate comments. The 2 minutes thing is funny, but entirely true. In the first few actions of the game we looked confident and purposeful. And then we didn't. My impression is the motivation was wrong - trying to overperform, leading to rushed passes, naive pressing and snatched tackles.

Credit to Crystal Palace, they were really good tonight, which contributed to us looking bad. This was a long way from our worst performance this season. But in a way that makes it all the more disturbing that we were comprehensively outdone by them tonight. If there was a team here that you'd think would be making a champions league push next season, it certainly wasn't us.

We were shifting momentum at the end of the first half and beginning of the second, and starting to turn the screw, but they had so much more zest and potency than us, ultimately - despite us having had 10 days of rest and training.

3 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Christ, Twitter is horrible tonight, a really bad display granted, but the first hiccup in a while, going into the game from the Premier league form chart as third best in the league, now we're back to sack Howe.

Why are our fans so weird, we used to be called the deluded Geordies, its starting to become reality. 

Twitter should never be used to judge anything mind.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Away from is a massive issue like. 15th in the away table. Less points on the road than Everton and just one more than Burnley. 

That's dreadful whatever way you look at it. 

Screenshot_20240424-224506.thumb.png.517ceef3ca16f0119e12f3775653ebc8.png

In the season we got our biggest ever away win too. Bizarre. No wonder Eddie’s baffled. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Away from is a massive issue like. 15th in the away table. Less points on the road than Everton and just one more than Burnley. 

That's dreadful whatever way you look at it. 

Screenshot_20240424-224506.thumb.png.517ceef3ca16f0119e12f3775653ebc8.png

Depends how you perceive it, I could consider we're only two away wins from where we likely should be?

My first thought was he was out done tactically but then you look at the players out there. When you’ve got Burn, Kraft, Murphy, Longstaff being pressed it’s no wonder we couldn’t get out and get our front 3 on the ball. So many times we gave away possession or passed ourselves backwards into a blind alley. One to forget.

5 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

My first thought was he was out done tactically but then you look at the players out there. When you’ve got Burn, Kraft, Murphy, Longstaff being pressed it’s no wonder we couldn’t get out and get our front 3 on the ball. So many times we gave away possession or passed ourselves backwards into a blind alley. One to forget.

This was it for me, these players aren't good/confident on the ball and always need an extra touch or 10 to line up a pass, any kind of pressure and they crumble, Palace played a blinder.

4 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

This was it for me, these players aren't good/confident on the ball and always need an extra touch or 10 to line up a pass, any kind of pressure and they crumble, Palace played a blinder.

Wilson aside, we don't have a good knock it up for a tussle option either.

Was hoping we'd see Isak drop in more today at times to help us progress the ball or get a grip. Felt like he was always looking for the chase.

5 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Palace were the better team on the night and deserved the win.  I don't think "they played a blinder".

4 minutes ago, Rod said:

Palace were the better team on the night and deserved the win.  I don't think "they played a blinder".

So are you agreeing with me and disagreeing with me in the same post?

Screenshot_20240424_232006_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dreadful from Howe. This play the same team that won the last game is such a basic philosophy. Totally different styles of play we were up against and a far superior technician in Eze who we let run the show without his wingman Olise.

53 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

So are you agreeing with me and disagreeing with me in the same post?

Screenshot_20240424_232006_Samsung Internet.jpg

Playing well is not the same as ‘playing a blinder’ tbf.  Palace played well, but it wasn’t an amazing display of skill

11 minutes ago, TRC said:

Dreadful from Howe. This play the same team that won the last game is such a basic philosophy. Totally different styles of play we were up against and a far superior technician in Eze who we let run the show without his wingman Olise.

Judging by his comments after the game he was clearly not impressed by the way our play was executed today.

Just because we lined up the same way, doesn't necessarily mean the instructions and approach was supposed to be exactly the same.

Howe has previously talked about having specific plans for every game, and we can never really know what tactics were discussed beforehand if the players fail to execute.

Cant blame him to much with the players that were on the field. 5 of them are championsship standard at best.

No idea why he would revert to Burn on LB though, it clearly worked out alot better with him at CB. 

I think our starting shape was weird. Guess we tried to match their formations, but we really couldn't get away from their press. Isak was way too isolated and was too far away from Gordon. Barnes was useless in this kind of game. Sadly we have pretty much 0 options in midfield.

edit. I don't think Burn was LB. We clearly had 3 CBs, Murphy right WB and Anderson played as a left WB a lot. Is Tino still injured? Surely he would have been a better option than Murphy or Krafth?

Edited by KingArthur

2 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I think our starting shape was weird. Guess we tried to match their formations, but we really couldn't get away from their press. Isak was way too isolated and was too far away from Gordon. Barnes was useless in this kind of game. Sadly we have pretty much 0 options in midfield.

Need to put some blame on the players though. Far too many of them have seen the likes of Joelinton, Bruno, and Isak get very close to their man before passing it or going past them. A lot of our players seem to think that they can do that ask well and spend far too long on the ball. There are simple passes open and they either run into trouble, wait to be closed down, or make the pass to the player who has 1 or 2 markers on him.

It has been a consistent occurrence in our defeats. We get so giddy from having a good win previously and seem to think that we are world beaters.

There is no need to not be making the simple pass to retain possession, there is no need for Schar to pass back to the goalkeeper when every other player for us is in front of him and we have been pressing Palace, there is no need for Dubravka once he’s got that pass to keep a hold of it until their attacker is a foot away from him.

It’s simple fucking stuff that even us on Reds vs Blues don’t do.

7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Need to put some blame on the players though. Far too many of them have seen the likes of Joelinton, Bruno, and Isak get very close to their man before passing it or going past them. A lot of our players seem to think that they can do that ask well and spend far too long on the ball. There are simple passes open and they either run into trouble, wait to be closed down, or make the pass to the player who has 1 or 2 markers on him.

It has been a consistent occurrence in our defeats. We get so giddy from having a good win previously and seem to think that we are world beaters.

There is no need to not be making the simple pass to retain possession, there is no need for Schar to pass back to the goalkeeper when every other player for us is in front of him and we have been pressing Palace, there is no need for Dubravka once he’s got that pass to keep a hold of it until their attacker is a foot away from him.

It’s simple fucking stuff that even us on Reds vs Blues don’t do.

Yes, players are partly to blame of course.

The point of that holding the ball is of course to lure the opposition to break their formation, but when it's Longstaff or Murphy, it really doesn't work like that. Bruno can do that and Schär perhaps. Or Burn, who can only pass with his left. 

Krafth especially (lost the ball for the first goal btw) was awful in possession. He really didn't do anything but play it to Murphy, who was facing his own goal and sometimes marked by 2 players. Longstaff should have made a run to right wing in these cases (something he did last year) but was nowhere to be seen. When we got near to opponents box, we were way too sloppy with the final pass.

Palace seemed to use Krafth and Schär as pressing triggers, and were happy to let Burn keep the ball (and pass it to whoever was on his left side, cause that is what he does)

27 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Cant blame him to much with the players that were on the field. 5 of them are championsship standard at best.

No idea why he would revert to Burn on LB though, it clearly worked out alot better with him at CB. 

I don't think Ayew, Will Hughes Clyne etc are much better tbh. Blaming the same players who have turned up last few games and calling them championship standard is lazy - the tactics were wrong from the first minute