Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

The injuries are key. I’m not sure how many could have been prevented or how much are down to sheer bad luck, certainly some of them were down to the latter. I think he gets a grip of that and strengthens well in the summer window and top 4-5  is well within the capabilities of Howe. 

Beyond that, who knows. I have immense faith in him right now to deliver a trophy within the next 2 or 3 seasons.

2 minutes ago, Ste said:

The injuries are key. I’m not sure how many could have been prevented or how much are down to sheer bad luck, certainly some of them were down to the latter. I think he gets a grip of that and strengthens well in the summer window and top 4-5  is well within the capabilities of Howe. 

Beyond that, who knows. I have immense faith in him right now to deliver a trophy within the next 2 or 3 seasons.

I honestly don’t just because I’ve supported us my entire life and it’s drilled into us but I’m 50 now and enjoying our football again for the first time in a long time, I look forward to Saturdays and football days and right now that’s enough for me personally.

Just now, Gawalls said:

We haven’t achieved it this year though, if as you say that’s because of injury then all we’ve proved is our squad isn’t there yet which is exactly the tweets point.

We were 8 points away despite having a tough champions league group and the worst injury list in the league.

Worth remembering that despite the above we still had 4th best home record in the league.

Injuries don’t show our squad isn’t there yet, it showed that if you have an unusually high level of injuries then your performances on the pitch will suffer.

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

We were 8 points away despite having a tough champions league group and the worst injury list in the league.

Worth remembering that despite the above we still had 4th best home record in the league.

Injuries don’t show our squad isn’t there yet, it showed that if you have an unusually high level of injuries then your performances on the pitch will suffer.

We all have different opinions but for me personally - you’re not going to get me to ‘expect’ a top four finish any time soon. Of course I think we can do it but I’m not going to expect it.

Just now, Gawalls said:

I honestly don’t just because I’ve supported us my entire life and it’s drilled into us but I’m 50 now and enjoying our football again for the first time in a long time, I look forward to Saturdays and football days and right now that’s enough for me personally.

Same here but add 10 years ?

Absolutely nothing to whine about so far. I was definitely gutted yesterday but since the take over it's been like flicking a switch. I think, and it's only human nature, some people haven't got the patience. 

I think I'm also recovering from the FCB years after hoying the season tickets in and, though I still watched games, had an ever decreasing passion for the club. 

I'm enjoying it again. To some extent even people being annoyed, frustrated and/or disappointed is a sign of our improvement. 

Onwards upwards

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

We all have different opinions but for me personally - you’re not going to get me to ‘expect’ a top four finish any time soon. Of course I think we can do it but I’m not going to expect it.

There is a difference between expecting a top four finish and expecting to challenge for a top four finish though.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

There is a difference between expecting a top four finish and expecting to challenge for a top four finish though.

I’ll be honest mate - I don’t even know what we’re disagreeing with anymore 

53 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

"The root cause for this delusion around expectations is a lack of knowledge of football outside of NUFC"

Astounding arrogance. :lol:

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

"The root cause for this delusion around expectations is a lack of knowledge of football outside of NUFC"

Astounding arrogance. :lol:

Aye, I agreed with the sentiment but some of it is pompous as fuck.

9 hours ago, Gawalls said:

The only excuse for not bringing in a keeper in January would be we were skint - oh that’s right we were. Sorry but I’ve read too many times in the last two days things like “no excuse”, “under pressure now” just because we didn’t get into Europe when it went down to the last game of the season ffs.

You could see he learned a lot more as the season went on with his tactical changes and he very very nearly delivered us into top 6 with what can only be labelled as a crazy lack of player availability throughout the season.

I do believe there’s a good chance that Howe will hit a glass ceiling with us and will have achieved everything he can but so soon after what he’s done is crazy talk in my opinion - those people that say they want him gone just be careful what you wish for.

Nobody wants him gone, but we’re run by very ambitious people who will naturally be very disappointed with this season given how much has been spent in the past 16 months. Of course there’s pressure on next season.

I don’t believe for one second we couldn’t have found a way to get a better keeper than Martin Dubravka in January either. Sometimes you need short term solutions for long term goals.

There's fuck all wrong with wanting the best for the club. Shouldnt have to explain yourself for being disappointed with 7th and no Europe next season. It's not entitlement, it's just massive disappointment after seeing us beat PSG one season to not even qualifying for the 3rd tier competition the next.

Just now, Ronaldo said:

Nobody wants him gone, but we’re run by very ambitious people who will naturally be very disappointed with this season given how much has been spent in the past 16 months. Of course there’s pressure on next season.

I don’t believe for one second we couldn’t have found a way to get a better keeper than Martin Dubravka in January either. Sometimes you need short term solutions for long term goals.

You can or choose not to believe what you want as can I but truth is none of us know the finances (I shouldn’t have wrote we’re amount as I don’t know) or what they’re thinking.

I’ll keep screaming it. Net spend is a poor figure to judge how a club should perform.  

wages is #1. 
squad cost is #2. 

we finished 4th while being 7th and 8th on this list. 

We finished 7th this season while being no higher then 7th on both of those criteria.  

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I’ll keep screaming it. Net spend is a poor figure to judge how a club should perform.  

wages is #1. 
squad cost is #2. 

we finished 4th while being 7th and 8th on this list. 

We finished 7th this season while being no higher then 7th on both of those criteria.  

I think you're screaming into the vaccum of space when it comes to one or two on here. But good point nonetheless.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

We’ll be the only club in that top 8 not in Europe. And that will give us an advantage in league form should we keep our Crown Jewels. 

If everyone is as good as we think they are. We should challenge for top 4 imo. 

Keep our main stars, let a few go, bring in the 5 we want and top 4 plus good cup runs are massively achievable. 

On 26/05/2024 at 11:47, Mills and Boon said:

The fuck? It's not a winning "knack" it's massive amounts of investment into the squad that other clubs can't compete with.

We're trying to catch up but FFP is a constant handbrake on us

Absolutely agree re investment, however we have invested historically as well. We spent a fair bit (and invested well) under Keegan for example. Spurs have invested but won little..

My point was success breeds success and that once you win one thing then often you see reciprocal results in later seasons.

41 minutes ago, George Bailey said:

Absolutely agree re investment, however we have invested historically as well. We spent a fair bit (and invested well) under Keegan for example. Spurs have invested but won little..

My point was success breeds success and that once you win one thing then often you see reciprocal results in later seasons.

Under Keegan we never invested as much as Man U did and they won everything at the time. 

On 26/05/2024 at 11:34, Cronky said:

Winning silverware is very difficult now. Even the cups are being dominated by the big six. The two minor European trophies are probably the easiest, because the best teams aren't involved. 

I think Howe will continue to exceed all realistic expectations, but winning something will depend on good recruitment and that bit of luck. He shouldn't be measured on trophies alone.

Just to re-inforce the point, I've looked at the last 10 years.

Of the three domestic trophies, 28 of the last 30 winners have come from the big six. The exception was Leicester, with the Premiership and FA Cup. 

Of the three European trophies for the same period, only West Ham from outside the big six, with last year's conference, have won anything.

It's tough.

57 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Of the three domestic trophies, 28 of the last 30 winners have come from the big six. The exception was Leicester, with the Premiership and FA Cup. 

Of the three European trophies for the same period, only West Ham from outside the big six, with last year's conference, have won anything.

It's tough.

It’s pathetic when you read it like that.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

It's tough.

Might as well call it the big five, Tottenham haven't won anything, have they?

5 hours ago, Miercoles said:

Might as well call it the big five, Tottenham haven't won anything, have they?

Pulled off a blinder to even get mentioned in the super league. They're nothing