Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Pochettino is the one that springs to mind, due to his Mitchell connection.

Saying that, think Id rather just stick with Howe for now than Poch. 

Same tbh, not too many managers out there atm. 

I'd have said Nagelsmann if he hadn't signed that contract extension at Germany.

28 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Managers almost always have finsl say on transfers mind.

Yeah, ideally the Sporting Director oversees the approach to identifying players e.g. Mitchell talked about using data to further inform more traditional scouting.

This was something we were apparently looking for, to modernise our scouting, which was still not very data driven.

And so, with that now being introduced, it could mean some players are rated or ranked differently now. 

In any case, a list of players should be made available for the manager to then select from.

I've always thought that was a fair compromise, but some managers might not necessarily feel that way.

They've been back two weeks, probably had numerous discussions in that time and it looks like he is still not convinced about things. I originally thought it maybe a power play for transfers, but after watching the longer interview he did, it's obviously not just that. Will the owners and high level staff be happy with his comments today, again I'm not so sure they will be.

Howe may also feel he could be left in no man's land if we don't have the best of starts and is replaced, whereas he will probably get four years if he moves to the England position. We don't need this running into the season and a decision on both sides needs to be made in the next couple of weeks. 

Edited by et tu brute

10 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Pochettino is the one that springs to mind, due to his Mitchell connection.

Saying that, think Id rather just stick with Howe for now than Poch. 

Poch overrated I feel.

Don’t feel there’s many top managers about currently tbh. The fact Chelsea got that fella from Leicester that their fans were calling to sack despite getting promoted says it all. 

14 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Not many names jump to mind that would fit well at NUFC.

Who’s on your list?

The interesting thing is that if you look back to when we were first linked with Mitchell in March, there was also talk of lists of potential replacements for Howe also being drawn up at the time, which I thought was weird.

I think that may have been true after all. Only because there's a chance the ownership may have been annoyed by the issue with Howe and Ashworth, and were positioning themselves to clean house if necessary.

If you Google it the main name being bandied about at the time was Mancini. But pretty certain there's a list of other candidates. That will be a part of Mitchell's remit.

33 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

They've been back two weeks, probably had numerous discussions in that time and it looks like he is still not convinced about things. I originally thought it maybe a power play for transfers, but after watching the longer interview he did, it's obviously not just that. Will the owners and high level staff be happy with his comments today, again I'm not so sure they will be.

Howe may also feel he could be left in no man's land if we don't have the best of starts and is replaced, whereas he will probably get four years if he moves to the England position. We don't need this running into the season and a decision on both sides needs to be made in the next couple of weeks. 

😂

I genuinely don’t understand how anyone can watch his interviews today and see anything other than a happy, committed, man. The tiny bit everyone seems to be getting hung up on is Eddie, quite sensibly, saying that a lot has changed over the summer so providing nothing drastically changes with his role he is 100% happy… he then goes on to say that there’s no reason to think that anything will change / thinks it’ll work fine, and goes on to praise Mitchell massively. So what’s the problem? All of this sounds perfectly sensible and understandable considering the amount of changes.

I genuinely think Ashley broke a lot of your spirits like… it’s a perfectly innocent interview, very reassuring in my eyes (how many times does a man have to say he loves it here, is happy, committed, and doesn’t see a problem arising?). You’re getting hung up on some subtext that you’re trying to spin into impending doom.

I just don’t see it at all.

13 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

😂

I genuinely don’t understand how anyone can watch his interviews today and see anything other than a happy, committed, man. The tiny bit everyone seems to be getting hung up on is Eddie, quite sensibly, saying that a lot has changed over the summer so providing nothing drastically changes with his role he is 100% happy… he then goes on to say that there’s no reason to think that anything will change / thinks it’ll work fine, and goes on to praise Mitchell massively. So what’s the problem? All of this sounds perfectly sensible and understandable considering the amount of changes.

I genuinely think Ashley broke a lot of your spirits like… it’s a perfectly innocent interview, very reassuring in my eyes (how many times does a man have to say he loves it here, is happy, committed, and doesn’t see a problem arising?). You’re getting hung up on some subtext that you’re trying to spin into impending doom.

I just don’t see it at all.

Entitled to your opinion, I disagree that he was happy today mind. We will see though what happens, if he stays or goes

He's clearly a bit unsettled, which can't be too surprising. It's a separate matter from the England job. He doesn't want to leave in the slightest, but hopes his concerns are addressed satisfactorily for him. 

He's a very careful communicator, the caveats about his future are there for a reason.

Just now, 80 said:

He's clearly a bit unsettled, which can't be too surprising. It's a separate matter from the England job. He doesn't want to leave in the slightest, but hopes his concerns are addressed satisfactorily for him. 

He's a very careful communicator, the caveats about his future are there for a reason.

I can't imagine it being any different last season if he'd been asked "do you still think you'll be here at the start of the season? " his answer would have been a similarly caged never say never type thing but I'll stay while I'm happy......just now people are asking the question and looking for every blink and pause to mean something.

The club can't seem to win at the minute. PSR debacle, Amanda leaving. We were all jazzed about Paul Mitchell coming in, and now Eddie muddies the water with some comments that to some folk are worrying. 

I think Eddie will be fine. Hypothetically, if he's not happy with the way the club is ran -  he must realise this is just the reality of modern clubs. Other than England, what other clubs can he go to where he can be in charge of everything. It'd be a mental expectation in 2024. 

It’s clear boundaries haven’t been ironed out by what he’s said and there’s nothing sensationalist about that obvious conclusion. For me, I’m surprised and concerned the club have appointment a DoF without ironing out these boundaries with the manager first. Seems messy and totally unnecessary. That should have been done in a concrete manner before any appointment was made and I don’t see how that’s hard to do. Surely a back & forth between Howe and the board around every possible scenario and who controls what and who has final say. Certainly for the first team, the manager should never have a player brought in without explicitly agreeing to them imo. If the whole set up was indeed sorted out thoroughly before the appointment and then Howe and Mitchell have since had three weeks or so since to catch up to establish this further, then I don’t see Howe saying what he’s said. 

20 minutes ago, madras said:

I can't imagine it being any different last season if he'd been asked "do you still think you'll be here at the start of the season? " his answer would have been a similarly caged never say never type thing but I'll stay while I'm happy......just now people are asking the question and looking for every blink and pause to mean something.

Nah, not at all. Whenever similar things have come up previously he's made comments to the effect of he's "here for as long as the club see fit to employ him". It's "never say never", but with the emphasis on him needing to fulfil the club's ambitions to remain here.

He's never repeatedly made pointed comments about whether he and the club's outlooks are going to be the right fit for eachother; that's unprecedented so far as I'm aware. Particularly when the start of the season is a handful of weeks away.

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

Nah, not at all. Whenever similar things have come up previously he's made comments to the effect of he's "here for as long as the club see fit to employ him". It's "never say never", but with the emphasis on him needing to fulfil the club's ambitions to remain here.

He's never repeatedly made pointed comments about whether he and the club's outlooks are going to be the right fit for eachother; that's unprecedented so far as I'm aware. Particularly when the start of the season is a handful of weeks away.

A new sporting director has just come in and Eddie isn't going to bullshit with "yeah we're all 100% on the same page" when everyone knows theyve barely met.

Eddie is caged with the media, he doesn't play games through the media, hes a master of saying stuff to the media that sounds meaningful but is actually fluff to fulfill media requirements.

2 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

It’s clear boundaries haven’t been ironed out by what he’s said and there’s nothing sensationalist about that obvious conclusion. For me, I’m surprised and concerned the club have appointment a DoF without ironing out these boundaries with the manager first. Seems messy and totally unnecessary. That should have been done in a concrete manner before any appointment was made and I don’t see how that’s hard to do. Surely a back & forth between Howe and the board around every possible scenario and who controls what and who has final say. Certainly for the first team, the manager should never have a player brought in without explicitly agreeing to them imo. If the whole set up was indeed sorted out thoroughly before the appointment and then Howe and Mitchell have since had three weeks or so since to catch up to establish this further, then I don’t see Howe saying what he’s said. 

To be fair, I think it's easier said than done for a few reasons - there can be a mammoth amount of scenarios to set protocols for. There's quite a lot of complexity in these situations. There's an argument for doing what they see as strategically right and letting the cards fall as they may, with the presumption people will adapt around the new structure.

I can potentially sympathise with everyone in this scenario. My bias is towards something closer to the traditional strong manager that Eddie seems to prefer to be. But football operations at the highest level are gigantic nowadays, so even in that situation I think to be successful you have to have huge amounts of delegation. But personally I don't like having relatively unaccountable 'directors' having the whiphand over 'head coaches'.

Nose might be a little out of joint as I suspect he’ll be less involved in the overall running of first team affairs away from the ‘grass’ but there was nothing to worry me in what he said. 

9 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Repeatedly is doing a bit of heavy lifting there.

It clearly wasn't a brainfart. He's gone out of his way to make the same point in multiple set piece interviews.

7 minutes ago, madras said:

A new sporting director has just come in and Eddie isn't going to bullshit with "yeah we're all 100% on the same page" when everyone knows theyve barely met.

Eddie is caged with the media, he doesn't play games through the media, hes a master of saying stuff to the media that sounds meaningful but is actually fluff to fulfill media requirements.

I'm confident he would've made his comments a lot fluffier if he'd wanted to, I agree he's brilliant at coming out with weightless content. Which is why it's striking he's set up a load of headlines here.

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

I'm confident he would've made his comments a lot fluffier if he'd wanted to, I agree he's brilliant at coming out with weightless content. Which is why it's striking he's set up a load of headlines here.

I don't think he did, the fact that he's a media front runner for the England job has done that so each question is looked at through that lens.

12 minutes ago, madras said:

I don't think he did, the fact that he's a media front runner for the England job has done that so each question is looked at through that lens.

“There’s absolutely no point in me saying I’m happy staying at ­Newcastle if the dynamic isn’t right”

“Early dealings with James Bunce have been top class. My early impression is he’s going to be fantastic, but it’s a new ­relationship and we have to see how we work together. Without going into too much detail the boundaries of relationship and how they’re going to work is slightly unclear.”

There's no way these comments aren't newsworthy to Newcastle fans even if Southgate were staying on for another few years. It's a Newcastle story, not an England story. Whether talksport is paying attention or not is irrelevant.

It’s hardly panic stations stuff but seems clear to me you just don’t bring up those specific caveats without reason. Imagine the amount of interviews we’d be hearing them if it was standard to throw in possible hypothetical negative situations. It doesn’t mean he’s fuming and going, but seems pretty obviously a pointed message to me. 

38 minutes ago, 80 said:

“There’s absolutely no point in me saying I’m happy staying at ­Newcastle if the dynamic isn’t right”

“Early dealings with James Bunce have been top class. My early impression is he’s going to be fantastic, but it’s a new ­relationship and we have to see how we work together. Without going into too much detail the boundaries of relationship and how they’re going to work is slightly unclear.”

There's no way these comments aren't newsworthy to Newcastle fans even if Southgate were staying on for another few years. It's a Newcastle story, not an England story. Whether talksport is paying attention or not is irrelevant.

The first quote is every manager at every club.

The second is as I said earlier, someone new comes in, is he supposed to say "I've never met him before but we all sing together" ?

Was the questioning the same when Ashworth came ? No. Why ? Because there was no "England job" in the equation.

54 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

It’s hardly panic stations stuff but seems clear to me you just don’t bring up those specific caveats without reason. Imagine the amount of interviews we’d be hearing them if it was standard to throw in possible hypothetical negative situations. It doesn’t mean he’s fuming and going, but seems pretty obviously a pointed message to me. 

Yep - Howe isn't exactly known for making unguarded comments.  Clearly there is a concern for him - that doesn't mean he's handing in his P45 tomorrow, but it is also counter-intuitive for people to stick their heads in the sand and pretend that there is nothing to it.