Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

Although the word generally is probably doing a bit too much heavy lifting there, now that I think about it.

I haven't got anything against you as a poster, but I do get sick of the amount of back and forth on people's worldviews on here. Agree with the things you agree with, disagree with the rest, and let a pattern naturally emerge. There are unquestionably people on here who see this place as dueling teams of goodies and baddies, and will take whatever view they think they need to have to stay true to the cause. It's mental.

As I said at the time (from usual sources… as close as you can get to 100% fact), and has been reiterated to me a few times since, the Gordon stuff about his “head being turned” is absolute nonsense. There was an approach from Liverpool a few weeks before the PSR deadline. It was rejected straight away. There was another approach a few days before deadline which was also rejected. Anthony is fine and has no issues with NUFC at all. Loves it here and wants to progress with us.

And as far as I’ve been told, that “medical booked” story is completely fabricated too.

Just now, 80 said:

I haven't got anything against you as a poster, but I do get sick of the amount of back and forth on people's worldviews on here. Agree with the things you agree with, disagree with the rest, and let a pattern naturally emerge. There are unquestionably people on here who see this place as dueling teams of goodies and baddies, and will take whatever view they think they need to have to stay true to the cause. It's mental.

Fair enough. But I have noticed trends of people forgetting all of the ridiculous shit posted on the forum from last season to 21-22. and some of whom did the same in 17-18. And the cycle repeats, with them regularly pointing out when they are right, and pretending all of the times they are wrong never occured. Throw a little self-vicitmization into the mix as well. On the other side, I have regularly defended people like TCD, who I feel get a totally unfair rap for being negative. I'm not sure why it has to be so grim all the time.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

As I said at the time (from usual sources… as close as you can get to 100% fact), and has been reiterated to me a few times since, the Gordon stuff about his “head being turned” is absolute nonsense. There was an approach from Liverpool a few weeks before the PSR deadline. It was rejected straight away. There was another approach a few days before deadline which was also rejected. Anthony is fine and has no issues with NUFC at all. Loves it here and wants to progress with us.

And as far as I’ve been told, that “medical booked” story is completely fabricated too.

I'm confident the general thrust of what you're saying is right, but given the big staffing changes at the club, I think there's more room for inaccuracy on more specific stuff nowadays.

I don't think the claim is that the medical was actually booked, more just along the lines that they'd worked out a place that was available and ready to do it within the necessary timeframes if the trigger got pulled. And I doubt that's something they'd have been shouting about internally, in order to minimise any upset...

6 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Fair enough. But I have noticed trends of people forgetting all of the ridiculous shit posted on the forum from last season to 21-22. and some of whom did the same in 17-18. And the cycle repeats, with them regularly pointing out when they are right, and pretending all of the times they are wrong never occured. Throw a little self-vicitmization into the mix as well. On the other side, I have regularly defended people like TCD, who I feel get a totally unfair rap for being negative. I'm not sure why it has to be so grim all the time.

It's honestly best just to ignore them for your own state of mind. Occasionally I dip my toe in to highlight where mainstream opinion is totally off base to see if it helps anyone along e.g. Luke Edwards not ALWAYS lying, or Moussa Diaby actually not being the premier league's next big thing, but on the whole you're better off just focusing on your own thing.

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Didn't the articles just say "penciled in" though?

Yep.

"...it looked as if Newcastle might be forced to sell Gordon to ­Liverpool and a medical was pencilled in to take place in Leipzig, not far from England’s Euro 2024 base."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/22/newcastle-anthony-gordon-eddie-howe-premier-league

Edit: Actually, I think I might've misunderstood your post. I assumed you'd put a typo for 'Did'.

Edited by 80

29 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I never thought it was either/or.  I reckon Gordon is happy here - he’s at an ambitious club where the support clearly loves him.  And at the same time, his boyhood club - one which is bigger and more successful - would be interested in buying him for likely a hefty wage rise and a better chance of winning trophies might just have appealed to him.

His being interested in a potential move doesn’t mean he’s unhappy at NUFC

I was more concerned that Howe was upset at the prospect of losing Gordon, hopefully it's just journalists looking for a story but they seem convinced he has given the club an ultimatum 

36 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

this is the second you've had to post something like this, yet it gets completely ignored.

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I never thought it was either/or.  I reckon Gordon is happy here - he’s at an ambitious club where the support clearly loves him.  And at the same time, his boyhood club - one which is bigger and more successful - would be interested in buying him for likely a hefty wage rise and a better chance of winning trophies might just have appealed to him.

His being interested in a potential move doesn’t mean he’s unhappy at NUFC

All that plus his current club would have seemed happy 'enough' to sell him given their circumstances. So morally he was entitled to try and look on the bright side of things if proposals were being put to him.

All caveats about the truth of everything apply, of course...

Edited by 80

1 minute ago, 80 said:

All that plus his current club seemed happy 'enough' to sell him given their circumstances. So morally he was entitled to try and look on the bright side of things if proposals were being put to him.

All caveats about the truth of everything apply, of course...

Yep.  It would also be naive to think that just because Liverpool's approach was rejected out of hand by the club, that feelers weren't put out by Liverpool.

Gordon strikes me as a young man with his head firmly screwed on - I doubt that any of this will have an impact on his performances.  Big clubs are going to be interested in our best players; big clubs do buy and sell from each other, too.  

7 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I have no idea what your point is here :lol:

It was quite simple really, I was pointing out that Howe said is was very difficult keeping to the PSR rules within the deadline and they had to make hard decisions [emoji38]

Should just tell him no new signings at all and there'll be no issues next summer.

Until the rules change, we're always going to be pushing the limits closely if we're to keep signing the players we need to in order to compete. Just one of those things and I'm sure he's intelligent enough to realise that.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Pure conjecture again but if Howe is upset about potential sales - he needs to be fully debriefed on the clubs PSR position.   The end of June was a mess. We were desperate. 

There also needs to be better understanding of the need for sales. We’d sold no one bar Maxi and spent a lot. Eddie “would love to keep” or “doesn’t want to lose” a number of players but the cold hard reality is players’ cycles come to an end and need to be moved on for reinvestment and reinforcements.

We’ve been historically terrible at shifting squad players / non-Purples and we need to be better at this. I hate the wheeler-dealer mentality but we’ll need to show some to bridge the gap. Villa appear to be doing a semi-reasonable effort of this on the face of it.

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Pure conjecture again but if Howe is upset about potential sales - he needs to be fully debriefed on the clubs PSR position.   The end of June was a mess. We were desperate. 

Yeah. I've been working on the assumption a) that he's pretty much fully in the loop on our financial/PSR situation, and b) that he was just playing cute when in the past he's claimed not to understand all the ins and outs of how it works. But I guess it's possible that one or both of those isn't true - more likely the former.

As I understand it, strictly speaking we don't now need to sell anyone and have quite a lot of headroom, but it seems very shortsighted to not still be interested in making sales to strengthen our future position.

We all know that Eddie Howe lies his face off every time he speaks to the media yeah?

He knows exactly how PSR works. 

"I'd love to keep" means "get them out of my sight" and "I'm disappointed to have lost" means "thank fuck they're not my problem anymore". 

He knows the story and the squad rebuild we need and he has a history of ruthlessly changing players. He'll be fully versed and involved with what's happening. 

2 minutes ago, Cf said:

We all know that Eddie Howe lies his face off every time he speaks to the media yeah?

He knows exactly how PSR works. 

"I'd love to keep" means "get them out of my sight" and "I'm disappointed to have lost" means "thank fuck they're not my problem anymore". 

He knows the story and the squad rebuild we need and he has a history of ruthlessly changing players. He'll be fully versed and involved with what's happening. 

Personally, I don’t see him as being a callous duplicitous liar (unsurprisingly). He understands the need to upgrade and the current financial context but what you get from him is cards close to chest ‘need to know’ media stuff and a genuine warmth and affection for the young people who have played for him. 

56 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We decided not to sell Big Jol, and instead extended his contract, because of Howe. Ashworths original plan was to sell at Jan to meet the PSR requirement. 

Howe got no right to be upset for selling Anderson imo.

13 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Personally, I don’t see him as being a callous duplicitous liar (unsurprisingly). He understands the need to upgrade and the current financial context but what you get from him is cards close to chest ‘need to know’ media stuff and a genuine warmth and affection for the young people who have played for him. 

I never said he was a callous duplicitous liar, just that he lies through his teeth to the media :)