Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 hours ago, Ellis H said:

We’ve got a couple of extremely big months coming up now. I don’t think we’re currently at the point of Howe fighting for his job but if the club are planning on spending big in January they’ll need to know for sure he is their man long term. They won’t want to give him a few expensive new players of his choosing then have a new manager on the touchline in February who doesn’t want them. This kind of thing is so much more important with the current financial rules than it ever was before.

Id be very surprised if he was removed before or during Jan unless it completely collapses. I do have some concerns over style of play and stubbornness over moving some players on. Equally however it hunk if we were able to spend he would’ve brought in the players to kick us on further. The clubs current malaise goes wider than just Howe though, the PSR situation and the transfer window really has knackered us.

I wouldn’t be “that” surprised if this is Howe’s last season however. 

6 hours ago, Kanji said:

Again all valid but when do you look at world class or elite players and say hey, what the fuck was that today?

I’m worried about the overall situation. But I’m more so about the players. I dont know if many of them are all that. I often try and separate coaching and decision making and I see an AWFUL lot of player chosing or executing wrong this season. 

Howe signed 8 of the starting 11 yesterday he’s responsible for having a midfield you can drive a bus through, laboured and unimaginative build up play and the centre forward being isolated all season.

Edited by Whitley mag

8 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Sort of - but the Tonali / Livramento / Hall / Barnes summer does raise the question of whether or not we'd actually bring in the right players.

Aye, we really didn’t take advantage of qualifying for the champions league. 3 poor windows since.

8 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We've got no data on how vulnerable Howe is at the moment - he's the only managerial appointment the current ownership has made.

Oddly enough I thought we looked poor at the start of the season and were grinding out results, now we're playing better and dropping points.

I wasn't expecting us to pick up points today, which is probably a bit troubling.  We're 8th after eight games, which I think is ok - and I do think that serious questions should only get asked after another ten games or so; half a season will be enough to tell if we've stalled in a bad way.

The squad seems stagnant though - I'm one of those who wouldn't have been at all troubled by seeing a 'purple' or two leave in the summer, provided the FFP headroom was actually used.  I'm not at all convinced that simply clinging onto your best players at the time and not adding to them is a policy likely to result in real success.  All players are ultimately sellable.  My biggest concerns with Howe at the moment would be whether or not he actually has a plan B (beyond 'intensity is our identity', which made us so vulnerable to the injury problems of last season) and whether or not he's cutthroat enough to become an elite manager.  

Excellent post, but on this point - one thing we do know is that the aim is Europe, Darren Eales (Eddie's boss at the time) said that quite clearly. Whether we as individual fans think that is realistic or not doesn't really matter, that's the target set from above.

Last season we missed out but I think there was an understanding that a combination of a punishing CL schedule, a pile-up of injuries and Man City getting turned over in the FA Cup Final played a major part in that. 

I've said this before but this summer we'll be selling a "purple". That should unlock the funds to build the Newcastle post-takeover 2.0 Squad, who do the owners trust to build that squad? If we miss out on Europe again, would they back Howe to have another go at it? Obviously I'm assuming we don't make the CL, if that happens we either don't sell a purple or if we do, Howe 100% stays on regardless. 

13 minutes ago, McCormick said:

It’s okay to be disappointed about the result but see some positives in the performance. Losing all faith in Howe on the back of that game beggars belief.

It’s not just that game though. Last season our poor away form and displays were forgiven because of injuries, but this season where’s the excuse? 

Our set penises have been shite for ages. Our style of football has regressed, and there’s no plan B when it doesn’t work. 

He doesn’t have an answer to take us forward, imo. And the summer is partially on him, from what I gather, so he doesn’t get my sympathy there either (not saying he’s full responsible) 

I hope I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen anything to suggest we are going forward with him any more. He’s been class here, but I cannot help but have concerns sadly.

Just now, McCormick said:

Who would you bring in that would do a better job?

I am not going to lie, I have no idea. 

I am not even saying I would sack Howe, but I just feel that things are heading in that direction. And it would be a huge shame as he is one of the best we’ve had in my life time. 

image.thumb.png.6b17b3d3e665e47419ab65ab652559e9.png

Think we should try playing with a midfield a bit more. Too often our only source of progression is a CB playing it to a full back who plays it down the line for a winger.

6 minutes ago, Smal said:

Think we should try playing with a midfield a bit more. Too often our only source of progression is a CB playing it to a full back who plays it down the line for a winger.

That’s very telling and confirms how we are so predictable.

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Lack of a number 10 type creative player, RW and genuine back up striker option is killing us 

It’s not the lack of a number 10 in this instance that’s the issue though. It’s the first part of build up.

We should be playing through Tonali and Bruno more but they’re basically never available. Joelinton is off playing left wing. Tonali attempted just 22 passes in 66 minutes and we had most of the possession. When the CBs have the ball Bruno and/or Tonali should be available to receive the ball but it’s rare that they are.

9 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

As much as I love Eddie people said that last season. I just see regression. Players who once bought into the togetherness of the squad and intangibility of us versus the PL now almost accepting of the fact they’re playing within a setup that’ll never help them reach their ambitions. I know it’s just one game but my instincts are it was a bit of a watershed moment. 

And last season was a case of triumph over adversity. No one who's worth taking seriously looks at the ridiculous context of last season and classes Howe as having failed imo.

There's also a bit of irony in that it's easy to make the argument that those players you speak of are the reason we didn't win yesterday. They're not passengers in the journey we're on, they're participants, just like every other player.

44 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Who would you bring in that would do a better job?

It'll be "It's not my job to think of an alternative [but it is my job to insist that a better alternative definitely exists]". It always is.

20 minutes ago, Smal said:

Is that a common theme? Seems a predictable pattern against a low block with a packed centre; just horseshoeing around the box looking for space. We also miss Botman's ability to play out from the back, compared to Burn.

Not denying the issue, just wonder if it's really that ingrained or more a reflection of yesterday in particular.

55 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

It’s not just that game though. Last season our poor away form and displays were forgiven because of injuries, but this season where’s the excuse? 

Our set penises have been shite for ages. Our style of football has regressed, and there’s no plan B when it doesn’t work. 

He doesn’t have an answer to take us forward, imo. And the summer is partially on him, from what I gather, so he doesn’t get my sympathy there either (not saying he’s full responsible) 

I hope I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen anything to suggest we are going forward with him any more. He’s been class here, but I cannot help but have concerns sadly.

Totally agree, great summation. 

Also hope I’m wrong too, fwiw. 

Some crazy opinions in this thread, let's face it we should have won, we had the chances to score at least 3 goals yesterday. Our forward players did not perform, two 1v1 with the goalkeeper, a header from 5 yards. You can't put that on Howe, apart from scoring that was our best performance of the season.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Is that a common theme? Seems a predictable pattern against a low block with a packed centre; just horseshoeing around the box looking for space. We also miss Botman's ability to play out from the back, compared to Burn.

Not denying the issue, just wonder if it's really that ingrained or more a reflection of yesterday in particular.

similar story against Everton (the strength of the white arrows indicates the frequency of combinations):

image.thumb.png.6ccc47db1088de4142e395eefed2ddfb.png

I think Bruno has been really poor this season. Need a lot more from him.

Similar but a lot less stark; the midfielders definitely need to improve but I thought both Tonali and Joe were really good in spells yesterday. 

Agree that Bruno isn't in great form. The only thing that would've tempted me to back his sale was the prospect that he'd burn out this season. Looking plausible atm.