Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

32 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

How have you watched our last two league games plus City and thought the press was still missing? 

I'm convinced a solid portion of the fan base don't actually watch the games, just see the result and go from there 

The Athletic says Howe is considering recalling Longstaff to the first 11 because we haven't won a game since he dropped out of the first team, and he isn't well suited to being a substitute :undecided:

So yeah, looks like the solution to the current situation is Longstaff. 

I think we're in big trouble this season.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The Athletic says Howe is considering recalling Longstaff to the first 11 because we haven't won a game since he dropped out of the first team, and he isn't well suited to being a substitute :undecided:

Maybe keep this until he actually does it?

10 hours ago, dcmk said:

This place is astounding sometimes.  Losing Eddie Howe would be a major step back.

I just don't get this mentality at all. It's almost certainly a hangover from the Ashley years.

We are now (for the most part) an ambitious, well run football club with money. If Eddie goes, we'll arguably replace him with a manager of superior pedigree.

I don't think any of us want to see if happen, but if it does we'll move on and probably upwards quickly. No biggy

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

I just don't get this mentality at all. It's almost certainly a hangover from the Ashley years.

We are now (for the most part) an ambitious, well run football club with money. If Eddie goes, we'll arguably replace him with a manager of superior pedigree.

I don't think any of us want to see if happen, but if it does we'll move on and probably upwards quickly. No biggy

I think it's just that there are doubts about whether whoever we get could do more with this current squad/set up.

Genuine question: which managers are available who could do better do folk think?

1 minute ago, Heron said:

I think it's just that there are doubts about whether whoever we get could do more with this current squad/set up.

Genuine question: which managers are available who could do better do folk think?

Available is the tricky one here, particularly as we don't truly know who is making themselves 'available'.

But of the names that have been available, Tuchel and Emery would be the two who I believe would do better with this squad. Andoni Iraola has also shown he can make a group of players stronger than the sum of their parts. Right now, he'd probably be the one i'd like us pursue if Eddie did go.

4 minutes ago, Heron said:

I honestly think the hardest part is knowing who might take the job?  Instinctively I don’t think any big hitter takes it in the present moment - but I don’t know how the ownership might approach them or what they might offer?

It says everything about the job that Howe has done that we wouldn’t be looking at another Eddie Howe for the job (should he leave).  The man has done a cracking job for the most part. 

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Available is the tricky one here, particularly as we don't truly know who is making themselves 'available'.

But of the names that have been available, Tuchel and Emery would be the two who I believe would do better with this squad. Andoni Iraola has also shown he can make a group of players stronger than the sum of their parts. Right now, he'd probably be the one i'd like us pursue if Eddie did go.

So you'd risk what Eddie has built for Iraola?

The other two are in essence irrelevant as one manages England and the other Aston Villa.

4 minutes ago, Heron said:

So you'd risk what Eddie has built for Iraola?

The other two are in essence irrelevant as one manages England and the other Aston Villa.

No. Where on earth have you got that from?! [emoji38]

The whole conversation is about who we would want IF Eddie got the boot. Obviously I would prefer us to be managed by someone rather than no one, hence the suggestions.

That's kind of how these threads work - helps if you read the earlier posts first.

17 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Remember Howe wasn't our first choice. I wonder how Emrey is doing these days.......

I hope Howe stays and is a great success but nothing lasts forever. 

2 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

Remember Howe wasn't our first choice. I wonder how Emrey is doing these days.......

I hope Howe stays and is a great success but nothing lasts forever. 

Me too. Feel like this is his deciding season mind. Get Europe and we good.

Edited by PauloGeordio

26 minutes ago, KaKa said:

If we think the solution to our creative problems is to push Bruno further forwards then, with what we have available, we could do worse than get Longstaff sitting and giving Bruno more licence.

We had some success with Shelvey in there so lack of mobility shouldn't be an issue, although Shelvey's quality and range of passing was vastly superior.

5 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

No. Where on earth have you got that from?! [emoji38]

The whole conversation is about who we would want IF Eddie got the boot. Obviously I would prefer us to be managed by someone rather than no one, hence the suggestions.

That's kind of how these threads work - helps if you read the earlier posts first.

You say about me reading the earlier posts but you have quote-replied to my question. Therefore, have you actually read what I asked?

Which managers are available who could do better?

-Tuchel has just arrived at England

-Emery is already building something decent at Villa

-Your third and final solution was Iraola

Good lord.

Edited by Heron

Just now, Keegans Export said:

If we think the solution to our creative problems is to push Bruno further forwards then, with what we have available, we could do worse than get Longstaff sitting and giving Bruno more licence.

We had some success with Shelvey in there so lack of mobility shouldn't be an issue, although Shelvey's quality and range of passing was vastly superior.

Time to push Fab into MF [emoji38]

If Isak and Gordon had took their chances we would have comfortably won on Saturday.  Performance wise - especially 1st half I thought we played well.  The issue is with recruitment - not Eddie - we lack a RW and any quality in depth.

Edited by duo

47 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I honestly think the hardest part is knowing who might take the job?  Instinctively I don’t think any big hitter takes it in the present moment - but I don’t know how the ownership might approach them or what they might offer?

It says everything about the job that Howe has done that we wouldn’t be looking at another Eddie Howe for the job (should he leave).  The man has done a cracking job for the most part. 

Absolutely. I just think there's folk citing Howe is the problem and that is by and large an easy thing to do - but I'm Intrigued about who is the solution.

I (for one) do not think Howe is the problem, albeit there are problems for him to address.

Edited by Heron

46 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Come on kaka. Really? :lol:

I don't think Howe is the problem and struggle to see who could come in and do a better job at the moment. However, I suspect Eddie 1. Is not the greatest at transfers and building/reshaping a squad over time and 2. is a bit of a control freak and as we now have a sporting director with real pedigree and competence when it comes to developing the club and the squad over time, Eddie needs to take a step back and focus on the coaching and working with the players. If he can't do that, he can't stay unfortunately.

Edited by Collage

Been nearly 11 months of inconsistent, patchy and poor performances, mixed with average results and some questionable match day tactics. A lot of excuses have been made for him and they are running out, and eventually so will his time here. 

It's sad, but it's a results business and a lot of money has been invested for us not to play, act or be knocking around mid table. He's probably got till Christmas until he starts feeling real pressure, by then we're talking a full year of average, which is not where we should be right now. Our best players will be away with 2 seasons of no Europe. Who do you choose? Eddie or selling Bruno, Isak and Gordon? That's what it'll come to in the summer if we don't get our shit together. Ironically if we sold all 3 this summer we'd be no worse off right now. 

Mind, he's been massively let down by the club 2 windows in a row. They need to make that right in jan, and the sensible thing would be to back him, but with club structure signings (signings both the manager and dof agree on with the next manager in mind if it fails) and give him the rest of the season to prove he can do it. But it's a gamble the longer it goes on, and with other teams looking like they are getting it together, I'm not sure a top 7 finish is realistic with the glaring holes in the squad and the lack of belief within the club right now.

Next few weeks will be awful, with rumours galore he's done with each poor result or performance. It really will test him, the players and the fans, with the board watching it all unfold. 

Ps: there isn't anyone I can think of who is better than him and would come. I think we're stuck with each other unless an carlo to everton type situation comes out of nowhere for us. He might get the time to ride it out simply down to this, and I've no objections, you don't sack a manager without clear planning in place unless it's toxic, which it will never be with Howe.