Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Jewel said:

Ruben Amorim. I think City or Man Utd will get him though.

That’s why I didn’t mention him, already think he’s nailed on for city next season 

Edited by nufcnick

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Even if lose all three it’s fairly normal. We’re playing two better teams. 

You keep saying this, and it would be fine if we had been winning the games against the easier teams.

10 minutes ago, Papavasiliou said:

Allegri  [emoji38]

Someone's not watched one of his teams play in about half a decade.

James Horncastle would disagree with you on that. Juve have been a bit of a mess since the Ronaldo experiment (who Allegri didn't want) and all their board resigning. :lol: Still was able to win a trophy throughout it. Before that under him they were incredibly stable and great to watch.

Whether he'd manage outside of Italy is another thing, though.

Just now, TRon said:

You keep saying this, and it would be fine if we had been winning the games against the easier teams.

This^^ had we picked up those 6 dropped points, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

I think a lot of fans and posters have a lot of (justified) faith in Howe and would give him the rest of the season to work out the issues and fix them. I think he deserves that at least. He's had a shitload of external factors that have made his job tougher than it should have been. He's been let down off the pitch, the transfer window was disgraceful, he's lost allies in Staveley and Mehrdad, the appointment of Mitchell and the subsequent 'feud', the PSR shambles at the end of June and the horrible illness to Eales have all contributed to the feelbad factor. At the same time all of this is going on he's now in charge of a stuttering team with longstanding issues. 

We may all want to give him time but the idea that PIF will 100% give him the same length of time is dangerous. The standards have been raised and I honestly think there's a decent chance he could be in massive trouble unless he turns it around on the pitch and starts climbing the table again. It would be really harsh but I'm not sure any of us can rule it out, we aren't making the decisions, they are. And they'll look at finishes of 4th, 8th and potentially lying 13th(ish) place in the league as not the direction of travel they expect. That's assuming we continue this bad run of form and lose the next 3 or 4. 

I hope he turns it around but I genuinely worry for him   

54 minutes ago, McCormick said:

People better be trolling with the “Howe won’t last til Christmas” posts.

The only way Howe gets sacked by then is if two things happen:

1. We have a car crash of season leading up to Christmas, which there has never been any suggestion of happening.

2. Mitchell feels he can't work with Howe and the board are adamant that they want to follow Mitchell's blueprint.

In reality it is all just panic stricken fear mongering based on not that much at this stage.

It is unlikely that Howe will be gone before Christmas but not impossible, if we don’t win any of the next 3 league games which is a possibility then it will be more than 2 months without a win in the league.

The pressure will be on him and the board to salvage the season.

All hypothetical of course and we could win the next 3 league games.

As for his replacement, the club need to work out what style of play then want the team to play long term, then recruit dependent on that. Although fans rarely have the knowledge of managers compared to players, which is why there was no real talk of Arne Slot before he joined Liverpool.

If Howe kept on saying there was only a small pool of players that could improve us, and then only seemed to focus on a few players when the window was open, how was he shafted during the transfer window?

We weren't able to tie up the Tosin deal and focused on Olise even when Bayern and Chelsea were involved, and didn't manage that deal either. These moves were both prior to Mitchell coming in.

Then came the Guehi and Elanga debacles, with still so much time to look elsewhere, but apparently these two were part of the small pool, and so we only focused on them even though the fees were sky high.

Don't understand the narrative that he was somehow shafted.

36 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

In my personal opinion I think we missed a trick on Tuchel 

:pokerface: 

Why are people writing off Eddie? We haven't made a meaningful signing since Gordon. He is still having to play the core set of players who had us fighting relegation each season.  Tonali hasn't played for a year and is still miles off where he needs to be, Tino just isn't close to the levels Tripps was performing at.  The only bright spark of the new signings this season has been Hall.  If Isak / Gordon had took their chances last week we would have won - we played well especially in the 1st half.

45 minutes ago, KaKa said:

If Howe kept on saying there was only a small pool of players that could improve us, and then only seemed to focus on a few players when the window was open, how was he shafted during the transfer window?

We weren't able to tie up the Tosin deal and focused on Olise even when Bayern and Chelsea were involved, and didn't manage that deal either. These moves were both prior to Mitchell coming in.

Then came the Guehi and Elanga debacles, with still so much time to look elsewhere, but apparently these two were part of the small pool, and so we only focused on them even though the fees were sky high.

IMO The targets for the season are too aggressive for our budget.  

Howe’s not allowed to develop players over a couple seasons.  The club isn’t looking to rebuild the squad.  

That’s how he’s being shafted. If the club wanted a younger, cheaper team with less ambitious season I’m sure Howe would be up for it.  That’s what he did at Bournemouth. But he’s clearly under pressure for immediate results which is why he needs improvements to the XI today not next season. 

48 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Aye, I don't get this view either.

Whole world of footballers out there and we seem fixated on buying from the most expensive market.  You can't tell me we couldn't get someone better than Miggy and Murphy from the continent or South America.  That Guehi was the best defender we could get for £65m.  Sixty Five Million Quid.

That PL focus comes from somewhere and from what we've heard out of the club so far it comes from Howe.  If we were hamstrung in the market, our narrow criteria and insistence on looking at PL players is why.

Just now, loki679 said:

Aye, I don't get this view either.

Whole world of footballers out there and we seem fixated on buying from the most expensive market.  You can't tell me we couldn't get someone better than Miggy and Murphy from the continent or South America.  That Guehi was the best defender we could get for £65m.  Sixty Five Million Quid.

That PL focus comes from somewhere and from what we've heard out of the club so far it comes from Howe.  If we were hamstrung in the market, our narrow criteria and insistence on looking at PL players is why.

I think that partly comes from needing immediate results. But aye a big part of that must be Howe tbf. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

IMO The targets for the season are too aggressive for our budget.  

Howe’s not allowed to develop players over a couple seasons.  The club isn’t looking to rebuild the squad.  

That’s how he’s being shafted. If the club wanted a younger, cheaper team with less ambitious season I’m sure Howe would be up for it.  That’s what he did at Bournemouth. But he’s clearly under pressure for immediate results which is why he needs improvements to the XI today not next season. 

The likes of Bruno and Botman were £30 million players that came in and performed right away and raised us to another level.

Why could we not just continue in this vein?

We could have looked at similar to fill the right wing and centre back positions if we were on top of our scouting and we had a broader range of targets.

Villa are playing Ramsey, Rogers and McGinn behind Watkins and are leaving us in the dust, and progressing in the Champions League and comfortably competing for top 4 again.

Why are we chasing £60 million players to try and do the same?!

Edited by KaKa

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

Because everyone is shopping in that £30-40m market now.

Wasn’t the case when we picked up Bruno and Botman.

I can't believe you think this is true. This is unbelievable.

Just now, Ronson333 said:

Just seen a stat on Sky, Howe is the second quickest to 100 PL points after Keegan. Reminds you how good the bloke is..

league is arguably tougher now as well

2 minutes ago, duo said:

sadly it's not that easy 

If the club really believe like you do that it's too difficult to improve on Almiron and Murphy to a decent extent, then quite frankly, we deserve what seems to be coming our way this season.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

If the club really believe like you do that it's too difficult to improve on Almiron and Murphy to a decent extent, then quite frankly, we deserve what seems to be coming our way this season.

it's easy to find players better than those two - my point is it's not easy to find the Brunos/Botmans for £40 mil