Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

What do you want him to do, start pumping Miggy, Murphy, Burn and Longstaff with PED's [emoji38]

I mean that’s not what I was saying, we have been shit for 12 months away from home. Any good manager should be able to make improvements to the issues we see week in week out. Fwiw he gave all of them new contracts as well.

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I haven't seen anyone come out and say they want him gone, I see a lot of concern about the direction which is understandable or should be. 

And I dislike thes comparisons to the FS era whereby the decision makers had absolutely no clue about football. We aren't going to go and appointment a PFM if Eddie is sacked. 

There are plenty of professional outfits out there who have people making horrific decisions at the top though.

There's no certainty whatsoever that the people at the top of NUFC will make the right choice and the right choice is massively subjective.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

On the away form/performances in general, I personally think he fell into the trap of thinking everything would just revert back to normal once the injuries cleared up. Obviously that hasn’t happened and he looks a bit lost and out of ideas imo.

He looked off to me in the pre match interview on Sky. Something is off and I hope it sorts itself out ASAP.

Talk of him being sacked by Christmas is daft by the way, unless Mitchell has done an Ashley and lined up a replacement months ago who he's just waiting for an opportunity to employ.

We don't want to rush a replacement - we need to maximise that outcome, and it's almost guaranteed that next summer is the most opportune moment.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not saying sack him right now, but we need to see signs of improvement. You already mentioned one (the midfield), but there are others that need to improve as well. 

I think I just disagree with the time frame.

I'd certainly be disappointed if by May we haven't gone on a healthy run, including away from home.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I mean that’s not what I was saying, we have been shit for 12 months away from home. Any good manager should be able to make improvements to the issues we see week in week out. Fwiw he gave all of them new contracts as well.

We'd be benching Alex Murphy, Travis Hernes and Trevan Sanusi every week if we didn't offer them new deals...

This is partly on Eddie but he wasn't exactly backed in the summer, we had the worst transfer window in the league.

Just now, STM said:

There are plenty of professional outfits out there who have people making horrific decisions at the top though.

There's no certainty whatsoever that the people at the top of NUFC will make the right choice and the right choice is massively subjective.

Of course no guarantees exist but persistent with a underperforming manager (I'm not saying Eddie is my point is more general) and hiring a new manager to replace said underperforming manager are two sides of the same coin. 

After all, no point doing the same thing over and over and achieving the same results all whilst maintaining your way is right. 

Have to remember as well that there are a bunch of teams on similar points to us. 2 points separates Spurs in 8th and Man United in 14th.

Just been looking at a couple of other 'standing still/not clicking' seasons I can think of in recent memory as well.

The main one for me is Liverpool 22/23. At this stage they were on 10 points having had a very easy set of opening fixtures. 

Similarly Chelsea 23/24 were on 12 points at this stage having relied solely on Palmer.

The summer window was shit, no doubt about that, but I definitely don't think there's any need to catastrophise about our position, our performances post Man City, or our Manager. 

Just now, El Prontonise said:

How would anyone here know that.

Probably just off the players we were linked to and the obvious ones he wanted rid of

We're currently victim to the reason FFP was brought in and also feeling the after effects of Ashley's lack of ambition.

How long has Rafa been gone now, 6 years? We've still got half of his team on the books, Dubravka, Shaar, Lascelles, Longstaff, Almiron & Murphy

Then there's Bruce's players, Krafth, Joelinton, Wilson, WIllock & Lewis.

Given the binary choice of selling all of the above or keeping all of the above, I'd wager most would sell.

I wouldn’t say sack him now, but I think he is in bother, things need to turn around for him. We have been really poor this season and yes the window plays a part but the general performance of players, trajectory, it feels wrong. I clearly hope it turns around but it doesn't really feel like it will. 

In terms of what PIF will be thinking, I think common sense alone tells you what is being produced this season will be miles away from what they expect

11 minutes ago, 80 said:

Talk of him being sacked by Christmas is daft by the way, unless Mitchell has done an Ashley and lined up a replacement months ago who he's just waiting for an opportunity to employ.

We don't want to rush a replacement - we need to maximise that outcome, and it's almost guaranteed that next summer is the most opportune moment.

With how long the club takes to do things, we may want to start interviewing now then if we want a replacement in by summer 

28 minutes ago, STM said:

Maybe the manager isn't the problem. :lol:

I'm sure me and you could have a long chat about the last 30 years and come to some pretty obvious conclusions about why we haven't had sustained success.

Or we could have a 5 minute chat and agree there was a Gypsy Curse that was cast onto NUFC in 1969 and it's still the most powerful force controlling the fortunes of the club

Even the financial might of PIF can't defeat the hex

Edited by bobbydazzla

2 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Or we could have a 5 minute chat and agree there was a Gypsy Curse that was cast onto NUFC in 1969 and it's still the most powerful force controlling the fortunes of the club

Even the financial might of PIF can't defeat the hex

Maybe we need to sacrifice some players on the centre circle just before kick off to lift the curse. Worth a try. 

I think we're missing Trippier's influence more than we think. He was so central to the way we play, he's effectively another purple. We haven't figured out how to replace his creative influence. We didn't need a 10 because he was so creative from his position. But if Tino starts, then we need more creativity in the team. I'd be tempted to bench Joelinton and put Willock in. 

Or even put Hall into midfield and play Kelly at LB. 

8 hours ago, Menace said:

We have lost that fear factor that we used to have when teams played us, incredibly hard to break down and absolutely lethal on the counter.

Absolutely. I miss when we were 'drawcastle utd' in our 22/23 season. We barely ever conceded more than 1 goal, even in the away games, always solid as a rock. And our defensive unit was quite like current Arsenal team, who I think are defensively excellent 

Now whether through poor coaching, or our tactics being figured out and we haven't evolved at all, we get sliced through like butter 

One major concern I have with Eddie is his inability to address how susceptible we are to the counter attack. Since the Forest game on boxing day, when we got absolutely mauled, it's been an ever present issue, we concede far too many basic goals.

You can't be a top team and keep leaking goals on a regular basis like we do. 

I don't expect many too agree, but I think Bruno is big part of this problem, our back 4 is exposed by those ahead of them far too often and Eddie's insistence on not wanting to play with an actual DM may well be his downfall here. 

I personally wouldn't even consider replacing him, he's a top manager no doubt, flawed sure, but no manager is perfect!

2 hours ago, McCormick said:

“Let’s buy undervalued players from the continent” what a novel idea that no one’s ever thought of! What a pioneer that Mitchell is. It’s the same kind of model that clubs who don’t win things employ; and the same one that Ashley put in place a decade ago.

I honestly never thought fans would back Mitchell over Howe after that interview and failed window but here we are.

Completely agree. I would not be handing the keys to the club to Mitchell. No way 

Edited by Sempiternal

3 hours ago, Andy said:

He isn't though. He's played the same system for three years whether it's working or not, we rarely change tactics or have a plan B. 

Howe has a lot of strengths in terms of coaching and getting the best out of players, but tactics and systems have never been what he was known for. 

That's not quite true though is it.

I assume you're basing it on the formation he goes with?

Eddie Howe works on player patterns within the formation, the patterns of play are changing within the game, for example when Miggy was in the form of his life he was working with Trippier and Bruno, you'll see players swapping roles all the time, but, I think currently its not quite working, perhaps because he's using different personnel and thinks they have different attributes therfore he might try something different, for example Livramento, infact rather than pin it on Livramento, that whole right side, it's not working like it did, people have gone on about predictability, I'd argue that's true, as where I've pointed out the right, its because we do everything down the left, especially if Anthony Gordon is playing.

I think Howe needs to balance the side, have equal threat on both wings, and start encouraging fullbacks to work with the wingers, and deliver support in attack.

Howe won't deviate to new formations, he'll just keep tweaking the patterns of play, but it's up to the players to get it right in the moments, or Howe needs to change those patterns or revisit those that worked better previously.

personally overlapping fullbacks over this stupid inverted shit when we go to a back three.

Edited by mighty__mag