Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I understand the sentiment, and this is how it should work ideally, but judging by how the summer went I don't think it played out that way. Ultimately, the manager has the final sign off.

If he doesn't like the other options presented and only thinks a few could genuinely improve us, then we are at a standstill.

Guess we'll see how this whole thing has developed since then when the next window rolls around.

Yeah fair enough, but Mitchell only just arrived. 

Of course if neither adapts then we’ll fail. But I wouldn’t assume that’s what will happen.

Howe is s relatively young and very intelligent manager. He’d basically be saying he couldn’t be employed by any elite club if he was that stubborn on transfers. 

This is from september last year:

Howe shut down suggestions that he should have signed another "number 6" when asked on Friday. It was a Press conference which was dominated by questions about Tonali and what is deemed a dysfunctional midfield.

Howe said: “Not in my opinion, no. In my opinion, we’ve got three players who can play that position so didn’t want to add a fourth."

Edited by Erikse

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah fair enough, but Mitchell only just arrived. 

Of course if neither adapts then we’ll fail. But I wouldn’t assume that’s what will happen.

Howe is s relatively young and very intelligent manager. He’d basically be saying he couldn’t be employed by any elite club if he was that stubborn on transfers. 

Best case scenario is them coming to some agreement and working together.

There does seem to be some idea that Mitchell is the problem and Howe needs full autonomy.

I'm just not at all convinced that's the solution at all.

Ultimately though if things do come to a head maybe they should just hand the keys over to Howe so we can all see how that plays out for ourselves.

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

This is from september last year:

Howe shut down suggestions that he should have signed another "number 6" when asked on Friday. It was a Press conference which was dominated by questions about Tonali and what is deemed a dysfunctional midfield.

Howe said: “Not in my opinion, no. In my opinion, we’ve got three players who can play that position so didn’t want to add a fourth."

I really hope we play Tonali there at some point.

I think defensively we'd be better and I think Bruno would also be more dangerous in forward areas than Tonali has been.

59 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Why not, they literally sacked a manager mid season. They could easily sound out someone else for the job and do the same again if they wanted to. It's a good job there's no obvious candidate other than Rafa out of work at the moment, think he's the only other manager I'd be instantly okay with.

Might be total coincidence but my workmate has just sent me a photo with him and Rafa and he's in Newcastle or nearby

14 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I really hope we play Tonali there at some point.

I think defensively we'd be better and I think Bruno would also be more dangerous in forward areas than Tonali has been.

He can be pressed pretty easily which is why Bruno is so important to how we play.

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

FWIW I think there are a few legit reasons you can give for why we're where we are, but framing Isak's last few performances as just him lacking sharpness, too much responsibility isn't really it either. Him and Gordon have missed clear cut chances, including a pen, that our style of play under Howe has created. If you can't absolve Howe, then I don't think you can absolve them for those those things, or anyone else responsible for the contributing factors, nor can you just cherry-pick either imo 

Blaming players for missing chances over a few games is a bit mental though. The best players in the world will miss chances. If there's criticism of Howe then it should be based on what he's done for the past 12 months or so, not a window of 5-10 games.

His attitude has always been high risk, high reward and he accepts that playing a high defensive line leaves us exposed at times but balances it out with more attacking prowess, so a #6 probably isn't in his nature because it's one fewer attacking options.

According to his quote, we have 3 players who can play there already but none of them ever have, so I just don't think it's on his radar at all.

His teams have consistently finished in the top 5 for goals conceded in the PL, with our 4th position season being the exception. But I imagine they would also be in the top 5 for chances created (although I can't find anything to back that up).

But there's a naivety to it that just doesn't sit well at all. Our 4th placed season showed that balancing a solid defence with an effective attack gets you much greater rewards. He's too intelligent not to realise that so is he just trying to make a point to the board?

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

There was another conference around the same time when he basically said he didn't believe in defensive midfield players in the modern game.

I like Eddie a lot but I find that really crazy. They are being bought for insane amounts of money, by big teams so I don’t know why he thinks this 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Do you see patterns of play? Now?

Sometimes, not as much as we want obviously. But that’s not the point, the fact it’s not working doesn’t mean he’s ‘not a patterns guy’. 

7 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

I like Eddie a lot but I find that really crazy. They are being bought for insane amounts of money, by big teams so I don’t know why he thinks this 

Those big team money spenders have it wrong obviously [emoji38]

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Do you see patterns of play? Now?

There was a definite discernible pattern in the season where Miggy was on fire. Those little intricate moves around the box, dinked balls over the top, overlaps etc. were definitely orchestrated. Once that well ran out though, it's been difficult to identify anything that resembles a planned move

I read a good analysis recently about how teams basically figured out that flat midfield essentially all rush to the ball carrier so teams were drawing them and hitting one pass into the spaces they leave behind 

9 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

I’d like to hear that exact quote. I doubt he thinks Man City should drop Rodri. 

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

There was a definite discernible pattern in the season where Miggy was on fire. Those little intricate moves around the box, dinked balls over the top, overlaps etc. were definitely orchestrated. Once that well ran out though, it's been difficult to identify anything that resembles a planned move

Added to the autobahn in midfield.

Rock and hard place for Eddie and the board come January.

Spend big to support Howe and if it doesn't come off then we've got a squad not fit for many managers style of play

Don't back him and keep the money for the summer, may as well sack Howe now and give a replacement the second half of the year to work things out

Spend on club targets (i.e. Mitchell), you're hanging Eddie out to dry for the second half of the season.

19 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’d like to hear that exact quote. I doubt he thinks Man City should drop Rodri. 

No chance of finding the quote but I took point he was making to be that in the modern game, or how he wants his teams to play, he wants midfield players who offer more than just sitting and covering the defense.

Rodri is probably the prime example of the type of midfielder he wants.

The counter argument would be that we can’t afford a Rodri and so maybe need to compromise.