Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

10 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Not being arsey but what would you would have done in the same situation ?

They kept getting in behind on the wings. I would’ve gone with a flat midfield shape with wingers helping out fullbacks more. 

Maybe even move to a back 5. Targett at LWB with Burn on the cover.  

I don’t know. But something. Targett on at the least. Maybe Livra somewhere. 

I find it hard to believe there wasn’t anything an elite level manager could do to stop the tidal waves of Wolverhampton Wonderers attacks with that squad.  

Edited by The College Dropout

Fantastic from Howe again today, he has these players so fit, injuries and the amount of games will obviously fuck us this season, but that is the authority's fault with this daft FFP 

We battered Palace last week without looking particularly fatigued. 

It doesn't appear to be systemic yet and doesn't require an inquest. We've looked knackered and dropped points in two tricky away games following huge efforts v quality opposition the previous Wednesday. That's been during an injury crisis, with Botman being one of the key absentees.

It's difficult to manage unless you have a top six squad, but I trust Howe and his team to learn and adapt accordingly.

32 minutes ago, KDT said:

Unsure how people can’t get into their heads that the decision to sign Tino & Hall was because they were available at this time and have the potential to be in the team for years to come, they weren’t necessarily signed for this season. They were signed because they’re going to be in the team for years to come.

Then use them in the reserves then. tino was a first team starter at southampton should be good enough for twenty minutes. 

We all knew we had a small squad that was going to be stretched by Europe, were just trying to battle through being ahead of schedule and having several key players out.

We've had CL football, Man City in our only league cup game and are going for the CL again in the league, making alternating very difficult without drawing the same undue criticism as the Sheffield Wed game last season.

We'll see Livramento/Hall get minutes later in the season.

In signing them the club decided to prioritise the long term. Ideally that's both left and right back positions covered for the next 10 years. 

We could have got more proven players in and it might be better for us this season but it then bites us in future seasons.

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They kept getting in behind on the wings. I would’ve gone with a flat midfield shape with wingers helping out fullbacks more. 

Maybe even move to a back 5. Targett at LWB with Burn on the cover.  

I don’t know. But something. Targett on at the least. Maybe Livra somewhere. 

I find it hard to believe there wasn’t anything an elite level manager could do to stop the tidal waves of Wolverhampton Wonderers attacks with that squad.  

Pep couldn't find the code to beat them or us.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's almost like the management and senior staff were at pains to highlight this season's schedule would be tough on the squad and may impact results.

I think there is a general acceptance that the extra fixtures and the difficulty of them would have an impact. However, you mitigate that by rotating the players you do have to best keep people fresh whilst putting a team out capable of beating the opposition.

If you still refuse to rotate Trippier and Burn despite the schedule and spending a small fortune on 2 young players to fill those positions in the future, then you are inevitably going to end up with leggy performances like what they put in today and people will question that.

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I think there is a general acceptance that the extra fixtures and the difficulty of them would have an impact. However, you mitigate that by rotating the players you do have to best keep people fresh whilst putting a team out capable of beating the opposition.

If you still refuse to rotate Trippier and Burn despite the schedule and spending a small fortune on 2 young players to fill those positions in the future, then you are inevitably going to end up with leggy performances like what they put in today and people will question that.

Don't think substituting our full backs tonight would have made much difference mind.

Edited by The Prophet

Just now, The Prophet said:

Don't think being able to substitute our full backs tonight would have made much difference mind.

I disagree, we were out on our feet at one point and crying out for fresh legs.

The thing for me is that if we knew we had three games in a week so why not freshen it up throughout that period? You could have had Livramento start against Palace and Targett start today.

1 hour ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

If we get 70 points, we've had another fine season, regardless of where we finish. Well played to those who finish higher then.

That’s a high bar for fine. Doubt we’re getting 70 points. Low 60’s would be my guess. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Great. Still, we couldn't afford to buy this summer. Unless another loan to buy option was available that we passed up on, we didn't make a choice to not spend elsewhere.

It’s not that we didn’t spend it elsewhere - I wrote £85m worth of full backs.  As in their value in the market was £85m.  Irrespective of the intricacies of FFP

1 minute ago, cannybagoftudor said:

Steel is forged in fire etc - this season will be invaluable to Eddie and NUFC in the long run - remember we are only on the first steps of a massive journey - I am loving it. 

This is very true.

As fans we’re all (naturally) very ‘now’ orientated. Things can happen that can derail in the short term, even for a whole season (see Liverpool), but as long as everyone stays calm, we’ll be up and around the top end of things for a long time to come.