Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

38 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Then why on earth not rest 2 of our first 11 for them in either of these games weve just been absolutely dogshit in, it doesnt make any logical sense at all

My response was to you saying if the aforementioned players were in the team we would still have been beaten.  Not necessarily.

10 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

What you are experiencing is exactly what we experience under Klopp when there are large number of injuries relative to fixture congestion. Once this eases, I have no doubt you will finish strongly.

By the way, full press tactics is plan A and plan B and plan C.  I remember Klopp stating if plan A is not working, then we fix it. 

You either commit to it 100% or you don't. It is not possible for a squad to commit to it, and then go back to a more defensive style and then return back to it. For managers who believe in counterparts, it is more of a squad ethos thing than just tactics.

Yep and Howe like it or loathe it, Howe is following the Klopp blueprint almost exactly.

18 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

What you are experiencing is exactly what we experience under Klopp when there are large number of injuries relative to fixture congestion. Once this eases, I have no doubt you will finish strongly.

By the way, full press tactics is plan A and plan B and plan C.  I remember Klopp stating if plan A is not working, then we fix it. 

You either commit to it 100% or you don't. It is not possible for a squad to commit to it, and then go back to a more defensive style and then return back to it. For managers who believe in counterparts, it is more of a squad ethos thing than just tactics.

Howe has done this too.  Whenever we’ve been off, we’ve bounced back by doing plan A better.  Except away from home where we try a reserved version of Plan A which doesn’t work. I expect him to go back to plan A properly when we have players back. That has been his style to date.  

19 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Does help if you have unlimited amounts of cash to chuck at the midfield and forward line until it works, they've had plenty of duds in there. Not a dog at Klopp either, they're a very well ran club on the whole.

They dont spend as much as City,Chelsea or Man United to be fair. Klopp identifies what he needs and who will do it and goes out and gets them. Allison and VVD were a huge outlay from the Coutinho money but they were the catalyst for their success. Salah,Firmino,Mane and more were all bought for decent fees comparatively

I avoid this place after losses and I knew it'd be bad, but wow. The fact we can't lose two games in a row without some people questioning his job and harkening back to Bruce is seriously wtf. Truly over the top even if you ignore the circumstances. 

I do agree we've missed some chances to rest players when we've created the opportunity to do so. I don't know why Bruno came on for 25+ minutes or Trippier for 15+ up 3-0 against Man United in the cup. And I really don't know why we waited until 7-0 to take off Bruno against Sheffield United. His hands are tied recently and he's clearly loathe to make changes for rest purposes unless there's a 3+ goal gap in either direction. One of his biggest strengths - his supreme focus on the match at hand - also happens to bring a small weakness, which is some trouble letting up on the gas or letting a game go.

Interesting viewing this as an outsider but, and yes I know it’s easy for me to say, it’s a few bad performances and results during an injury crisis, in a season where you’ve got the huge demands of the Champions League added. 

it’s new territory for lots of people - least of all your manager. 

1 minute ago, BullyDogs said:

They dont spend as much as City,Chelsea or Man United to be fair. Klopp identifies what he needs and who will do it and goes out and gets them. Allison and VVD were a huge outlay from the Coutinho money but they were the catalyst for their success. Salah,Firmino,Mane and more were all bought for decent fees comparatively

Aye, their transfers business during the Edwards era was superb.

It's still pretty decent, but seems more obnoxious. Lost Mane's goals? Chuck cash at Nunez and Gakpo. Ageing midfield? Go buy Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Endo and Gravenberch.

16 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I avoid this place after losses and I knew it'd be bad, but wow. The fact we can't lose two games in a row without some people questioning his job and harkening back to Bruce is seriously wtf. Truly over the top even if you ignore the circumstances

I dont read on twitter beacuse its shit, and the match thread can be a little heat in the moment, but apart from that is it that much? All I can see in this thread is poeple raising fair questions about our injuries, away form and rotation for the last few pages.

1 hour ago, nufc123 said:

I dont read on twitter beacuse its shit, and the match thread can be a little heat in the moment, but apart from that is it that much? All I can see in this thread is poeple raising fair questions about our injuries, away form and rotation for the last few pages.

I was just skimming but there seemed to be at least a handful of people commenting about his job, when we can talk about his job, re-opening hiring debates, a mention of the last two games being reminiscent of Bruce, etc. Usernames I recognize so presumably not trolls. I just can't believe how quickly it gets to any of that.

3 hours ago, BullyDogs said:

Difference with Klopp is that hes more ruthless and doesnt have time for sentiment as far as his team goes if its not working he fixes it. Youve reshaped your whole midfield over the summer and you dont look any worse for it at all

I know it is not a popular opinion around here but Klopp is a brilliant manager. He has been luck or clever enough to pick jobs where he is supported by a brilliant back office infrastructure at Dortmund and Liverpool.

Howe is a brilliant manager too but still figuring things out. He is at Klopp's Mainz or early Dortmund stage of development. You also have a brilliant background team but which is still establishing itself. 

When you are improving a club based on processes and innovative practice on and off the pitch, patience is required. It is not always linear. 

4 hours ago, BullyDogs said:

Difference with Klopp is that hes more ruthless and doesnt have time for sentiment as far as his team goes if its not working he fixes it. Youve reshaped your whole midfield over the summer and you dont look any worse for it at all

Klopp was criticised massively last season from liveprool fans for not being ruthless enough so not sure why you think the opposite? It took a really poor season and them missing out on top 4 for them to act. Even they they only reshaped the whole midfield because Henderson and Fabinho left.

2 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

I know it is not a popular opinion around here but Klopp is a brilliant manager. He has been luck or clever enough to pick jobs where he is supported by a brilliant back office infrastructure at Dortmund and Liverpool.

Howe is a brilliant manager too but still figuring things out. He is at Klopp's Mainz or early Dortmund stage of development. You also have a brilliant background team but which is still establishing itself. 

When you are improving a club based on processes and innovative practice on and off the pitch, patience is required. It is not always linear. 

Disagree. Howes Bournemouth years were the figuring it out phase. His time here so far has been the "building from ruins" phase, which Klopp didn't have to do...... who knows if he could have ? Similar goes for the backroom staff. The position we were in 2 yrs ago was horrendous on and off the pitch.

Edited by madras

Looking at Eddie's spells at Bournemouth and here, you really couldn't ask any more of him, in terms of what he's managed to get out of the players available to him. From that point of view, his record stands comparison with anyone's, at any time.

On this debate, the last word has yet to be spoken.

17 hours ago, brummie said:

Interesting viewing this as an outsider but, and yes I know it’s easy for me to say, it’s a few bad performances and results during an injury crisis, in a season where you’ve got the huge demands of the Champions League added. 

it’s new territory for lots of people - least of all your manager. 

Getting the group of death didn't help either. Every game is a cup final kind of, and we had to be at our very best to get something each of those games.

Edited by Erikse

17 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

I avoid this place after losses and I knew it'd be bad, but wow. The fact we can't lose two games in a row without some people questioning his job and harkening back to Bruce is seriously wtf. Truly over the top even if you ignore the circumstances. 

I do agree we've missed some chances to rest players when we've created the opportunity to do so. I don't know why Bruno came on for 25+ minutes or Trippier for 15+ up 3-0 against Man United in the cup. And I really don't know why we waited until 7-0 to take off Bruno against Sheffield United. His hands are tied recently and he's clearly loathe to make changes for rest purposes unless there's a 3+ goal gap in either direction. One of his biggest strengths - his supreme focus on the match at hand - also happens to bring a small weakness, which is some trouble letting up on the gas or letting a game go.

I've yet to see one post wanting Eddie out.

14 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

Fair points. I don’t many would argue that Klopp isn’t exactly what his record shows: a first class manager.

The most galling loss this season, for  me, was to your good selves, and despite us being on good form and a man up, I think it was a tactical master class (plus Nunez having his shooting boots on!) and most likely pre-rehearsed the way you passed through our press for the goals. 

I do think that many—who don’t share your love for the man—have been put off him due to man-child ranting which seems to have replaced the wise, reasoned and charismatic way he used to come across in the routine football press snippets and extensive PR stuff he used to do. Crown green bowling in Southport (now there’s a sentence 😂) and table tennis tournaments with the squad my personal favourites. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

It's going to be interesting to see how he manages the squad now when players are starting to come back from injury.

Hypothetical scenario:

We play Chelsea away, Howe opts to go with Burn at LB as Chelsea are expected to have the majority of the ball. We go on to win the game.

I would then be very disappointed if Howe persists with Burn at LB instead of Livramento for our next games away at Luton and home against Forest, just because we won at Chelsea, when we know they will be playing a low block and let us have the ball where Livramentos qualities are more needed to open their defences up.

Lot of talk on here about rotating the defence, Trippier, Liveramento, etc, but Howe's made it very clear many times that he's against rotating the defence and he likes to play the same back 5 every game. Whether you agree with that or not is another matter, but his philosophy is very clear on this. 

It's easy for us all to become internet managers but the stark reality is, Eddie and co coach those players and see them almost every day in training.

Eddie is as meticulous as can be with what he has and given the way we've performed since he came here I'd say he is doing fantastic and will obviously have blips.

We can't expect to just blow teams away all the time and we all know that all teams have blips, even the super moneybag teams established over many many years with elite managers.

The thing is as fans we are entitled to have a moan and obviously we can all pretend to be managers when we do have a dig, because it's all about opinions and we all have them whether some like them or not.

It what makes chat and forums work.

Not too long ago Liverpool fans (some) were questioning Klopp and some feeling change would be better. It's a bit mad but this is what happens when  teams have bad runs.

Eddie's been here five minutes compared to the elite managers and he has the opportunity to become part of that.

He's managed Bournemouth on a shoestring and did well at first.

He's managed the rough and the smooth.

He now has the resources to smooth out this machine he's creating and taking defeats (however bad) on the chin and going again without too many excuses will likely propel him into the higher echelons of management status, I think.

Hopefully it happens.

Edited by magvicar

13 minutes ago, magvicar said:

It's easy for us all to become internet managers but the stark reality is, Eddie and co coach those players and see them almost every day in training.

Eddie is as meticulous as can be with what he has and given the way we've performed since he came here I'd say he is doing fantastic and will obviously have blips.

We can't expect to just blow teams away all the time and we all know that all teams have blips, even the super moneybag teams established over many many years with elite managers.

The thing is as fans we are entitled to have a moan and obviously we can all pretend to be managers when we do have a dig, because it's all about opinions and we all have them whether some like them or not.

It what makes chat and forums work.

Not too long ago Liverpool fans (some) were questioning Klopp and some feeling change would be better. It's a bit mad but this is what happens when  teams have bad runs.

Eddie's been here five minutes compared to the elite managers and he has the opportunity to become part of that.

He's managed Bournemouth on a shoestring and did well at first.

He's managed the rough and the smooth.

He now has the resources to smooth out this machine he's creating and taking defeats (however bad) on the chin and going again without too many excuses will likely propel him into the higher echelons of management status, I think.

Hopefully it happens.

I agree with 99% of that but as far as I’m concerned, Eddie is already part of the elite. What he has done over the last two years is incredible.