Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Shearergol said:

He’s not a robot. He, the players and the club all have limitations. Most of us recognise them. 

I think everyone recognizes them, but if you are saying there is no room for any kind of improvement then they I guess they just stick to the current tactic away from home and hope for a different result.

Just now, OverThere said:

I think everyone recognizes them, but if you are saying there is no room for any kind of improvement then they I guess they just stick to the current tactic away from home and hope for a different result.

How long do you want to give him to prove it to you that he can, and does learn? When we have the squad back? Another 10 games? What’s your actually answer here? We’re in a shit run of form, there’s plenty of reasons for it, I’m just wondering what the actual debate is here?

So, which other manager will take us top 4 with Dubrovka, Lascelles, Longstaff, Almiron and with 2 strikers made of glass? (to mention a few)

We are no better than where we are and it will be too easy to blame Howe as a scapegoat here.

The only thing I'm somewhat critical of is that this style of play is unlikely to be sustainable over several years if you're going to compete in PL, CL and cups. Must be able to have the ball much more and more creative players. Can't just base the game on us running the opponent down. There will probably be more rotation when more people return from injury.

Every top team has to be able to run and play with intensity but we are unable to do this right now, for every obvious reasons. 

We have been attempting to run, press and counter press, with the same 11 most games, games every 3 days for 2 months now, and it's run us into the ground. And we are really suffering.

No manager could realistically keep CL form in this situation.  But to Howe's credit, doesn't use it as an excuse, and sets up to win every game, no matter what competition it is.

Even PSG away from home.  He went for it.  It's commendable.  Shouldn't be getting any real stick imo.  

I am confident in Eddie’s ability to learn and the clubs ability to learn from this - we’ve been handicapped for a few months - it’s not an excuse but a reality - to not have at least 6 players hurts you massively 

We have to add quality - that’s a mere fact

Just have to be patient 

13 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

How long do you want to give him to prove it to you that he can, and does learn? When we have the squad back? Another 10 games? What’s your actually answer here? We’re in a shit run of form, there’s plenty of reasons for it, I’m just wondering what the actual debate is here?

To not see 4-3-3 on the road from the kick off, given the run of form. Grind out a result. Look at the state of the squad and employ the tactics based on that not on the system that he has schemed merely on paper

Edited by OverThere

1 minute ago, OverThere said:

To not see 4-3-3 on the road from the kick off, given the run of form. Grind out a result. Look at the state of the squad and employ the tactics based on that not on the system that I have schemed on paper

And if he doesn’t go with your tactic, how long?

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

And if he doesn’t go with your tactic, how long?

What do you think would be reasonable? This season and the next?  Something like that. No Europe next year should see less games but I'm interested to see the evolution of tactics more based on form and fitness. 

Edited by OverThere

50 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He was the manager for the entire season Bournemouth were relegated. That was his squad in full. If it was another manager - we would say that manager relegated the team. 

I don’t put a whole lot of stock in that. As others have said. He took them all the way up the football pyramid playing good football too. How can such a talented manager get relegated from the PL with a side that had been up for 2 or 3 seasons? I can see how with a little bad luck it could spiral.  That Bournemouth fan said he was ‘streaky’ and i see it. There’s a fair amount of hard running and ‘sticking in there’ when the going is tough in Howe-ball that works when the chips are up, but won’t work when the chips are down.  

Three teams have to go down - and given Bournemouth’s size and status, if they’re in the PL they’re in the mix for it.

Saying he ‘got’ them relegated implies the fault lies with him.  That’s pretty strong as he was the guy who got them up and established them in the first place - at some point they’re going to go down.  You can’t defy gravity forever.

For example this season I don’t look at Forest and think that Steve Cooper was to blame for where they are.  He hasn’t been successful in getting them away from the drop zone, but he’s did a good job when he was there IMO.  

Just now, OverThere said:

What do you think would be reasonable? This season and the next?  

If we don’t get our players back, I won’t be blaming the manager. If we have a squad and we still can’t win away, he’ll be gone by the end of next season.

Eddie's got a bunch of lessons to learn from this season but it would be appalling to not give him all of this season and next to show his credentials. These rumours about Mourhino need to just fuck off and die. If that happens then the owners will have lost the plot already.

Just now, Wandy said:

Eddie's got a bunch of lessons to learn from this season but it would be appalling to not give him all of this season and next to show his credentials. These rumours about Mourhino need to just fuck off and die. If that happens then the owners will have lost the plot already.

I’d lose interest if Jose ever gets the job here.

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

I've watched Eddie for a few weeks now, each time his body language has seemed off, he seems slightly agitated, like there's something going on? Can't put my finger on it, but it's like his energy has been zapped a bit.

He’s been ill the last week or so (flu type illness), Edwards did an article on it, still hasn’t missed a day of training. Probably a bit run down.

3 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I've watched Eddie for a few weeks now, each time his body language has seemed off, he seems slightly agitated, like there's something going on? Can't put my finger on it, but it's like his energy has been zapped a bit.

I think he hates losing and works so hard that he doesn't get why we are.  System can't be the be all and end all. That's why I hope we get a flair player back in the squad 

Edited by OverThere

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

There is something going on..  we are unable to train at intensity, there is a lack of preparation time between matches, we are having to play players not at 100% fitness, we are unable to slowly integrate players back into the team after injuries and having them suffer reoccurances as a result. Can't press/counter press effectively anymore.  And to top it off we are conceding last minute goals.  Must be soul destroying for him.

Got a horrible, familiar feeling this is going to get worse before it gets better. Next 6 or 7 fixtures are horrendous, we're in really poor shape and form and playing some huge games against some good teams

Howe’s game management at times can be a tad frustrating. But other than that, I honestly cannot believe people are genuinely discussing an alternative.

Also. Just a timely reminder that, around half a year ago, I said Mourinho would be given the job when Howe hit a bad run of form. Be careful what you wish for and all that jazz.

I've said it before but one of Eddie's biggest strengths is that he's a Plan A coach. Set style of play, impose it on the opposition, stick to it and try to win on your terms. He has his system and 90% of the time he sticks to it. I like that and think it's generally the sign of a good manager with conviction in his training ground coaching and ability to motivate players.

However - this season we could have done with being slightly more flexible. Both in terms of system and in terms of approach game to game. We clearly have not been able to go hell for leather every games, and sometimes moving away from 4-3-3 might have been preferable given the personnel to grind out results. Similarly some of the in-game management has ranged from naive to completely ineffective.

There's a lot for him to work on, but unless we have a complete meltdown second half of the season he needs to be given the chance to see it through this season and next. It does feel like he's had some absolutely rotten luck to compound some of the decision making and mistakes.

It's the worst run we've had since he first came in and was steadying the ship. Completely different set of circumstances obviously but no less difficult for him, he's trying to turn an oil tanker with most of the rudder missing.

Having said that, it's clear that the current tactics with the current personnel isn't working away from home and yet he will not divert. We will tear it up again when he has options and players aren't being run into the ground, but you can't stick a time stamp on that or even presume we get a clean bill of health between now and the end of the season.