Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

"Next season" is an overused one amongst fans, but whatever happens for the rest of the season I really do think that we will be smashing it next season under Howe, with the experience from this season and a deeper squad. Tonali coming back + the summer window could be huge. We're incredible when we get to play with the intensity in which Howes playstyle demands. Hopefully he will also use the experience from this season to make sure it's sustainable aswell.

Edited by Erikse

whilst i admire Eddie's desire to just focus on the next game and try to win it at any cost, i think in the current injury crisis he could have risked losing the odd game and played a few kids/reserves.

gordon and miggy didnt need to start today.

could have played hall and tino or an academy winger. 

whats the worst that could have happened.

8 minutes ago, huss9 said:

whilst i admire Eddie's desire to just focus on the next game and try to win it at any cost, i think in the current injury crisis he could have risked losing the odd game and played a few kids/reserves.

What did happen I guess.

I’ve seen Howe get stuck for in-game management but tactically I tactically I think he’s largely brilliant in addition to his man-management. It’s more the selections that seem to concern me. You can’t keep picking the same teams, often for a full 90, with the fixtures we’ve had. Even if Howe doesn’t ‘trust’ the youngsters, it’s backfiring as we’re losing games either way and becoming more knackered in the process. No way did Gordon look fit enough today also. 

Also I don’t know how much of a day he has, but the summer transfer activity wasn’t quite right. The Hall loan was weird and we don’t need another full-back. We need to offload instead of adding new players to sit on the bench, even if that means loans. And I’m sure he’s a great leader to have around, but no way should Matt Ritchie be getting near a Premier League bench in 2023/24. 

Edited by St. Maximin

this Luton loss aint good, no excuses really. the depleted first 11 we put out was still levels above their 11. I certainly would not change the Luton 11 versus ours. but our performnce again deserved fuck all.

last season we overachieved and were using the easier schedule to our advantage. most of our rivals were involved in heavy CL/EL schedule, we did not have that so avoided injuries better and also has often a whole week between PL games which was helping our style of play. even the Carabao draw was easy on us Tranmare, Bournemouth, Leicester, Soton until the final. not one upper half PL club vs this time when it was City, Man U, Chelsea already before semis. night and day between draws.

we were very hard to beat away from home last season,  3 away games lost total, now its 6 before we visit Pool, Arse, Man U, Chelsea, Villa this is 5 of remaining 9 way games left. probably 4 losses or 5 unless form improves heavily on the road.

all these injuries, will be honest, its not all bad luck. some are, some are down to poor work, rehab, bringing players back early when then break down again. lack of rotation August, September...

Tonali thing also not bad luck. we were played there like a kipper by him and his agent and Milan too. imagine Arsenal having this with 106m Rice that they sell Xhaka and within a month of buying Rice FA takes him out for a season for betting. it would seriously affect their season and I bet they would grill WHU over it. or they do their homework deep in scouting phase.

transfer window turned out to be mediocre, we really needed quality in first 11, best of it so far Livramento but he aint a starter yet so the first 11 didnt really become stronger which shows.

realistic thing now is anywhere between 6th and 8th and maybe a good FA cup run which would be nice.

but we spent big on transfer in the summer with the CL revenue expected and next year we dont have that. we may have some EL revenue which is lot less if we qualify or not even that. we are running the risk of not being able to spend as much next summer as we did this summer while most of our rivals will easily spend more Man U and Chelsea especially will again open bank.

these two clubs if they manage to solve their issues is thats another two clubs front of us for CL places. we really need highly underperforming top clubs for us to clinch CL places (last season Chelsea, Spurs, and Pool where Pool had their worst season in about 10 years while Chelsea, Spurs fired their managers)

we kind of overachived last season but we needed to as not always will be underperforming top clubs.

was hoping the 5th place wild card can work for us but with this away record we have and no sign of improving it this is less likely now. also bit random now if 5h pace will be CL now or not probably yes albeit I prefer it to be not if we are not 5th lol.

plus Aston Villa punching way above their weight so far, and also Spurs much more positive team despite losing Kane with a great appointment in Postecoglou instead of Conte.

Howe still has credit from previous 1.5 season, but long bad form wont cut it with the owners. they need to see the team hit top form before end of season even if we just miss out on 4th and 5th rather than being 10+ points from it. makes a huge difference.

but no CL worries me, its serious money in yearly revenue which helps with salaries and transfer fees for FFP, miss out on it and we wont afford as many better signings as we need. and we need a lot.

some twatter numbers I saw already didnt estimate too much CL revenue, it will be nowhere near 70-80m due to we are out of it early and also the fucked up coeff points make a big difference in the % of money we get. also Arse, City getting  bigger chunk from the England portion due to two another English clubs re out early.

not final number but we were about to get 30m only from CL while City already in around 75m or so and can go up quite a lot if they go far again.

but even that 30m is important as that is the one year cost of two 50m players on 100K each (assuming 5 year deal), or a 100m player on 200K a week.

2 hours ago, Wullie said:

I had a vague recollection of Liverpool being really poor away last season. Results from the start of the season until April, wins in bold:

Fulham 2-2

Man United 2-1

Everton 0-0

Arsenal 3-2

Forest 1-0

Spurs 1-2

Villa 1-3

Brentford 3-1

Brighton 3-0

Wolves 3-0

Newcastle 0-2

Palace 0-0

Bournemouth 1-0

Man City 4-1

Sometimes these things happen. It's the manager's job to put things right but it's also the supporters' job not to wet themselves and get on the back of a proven manager at the first sign of trouble, especially when his team is filling in the gaps by winning every home game as Liverpool were and as we are.

some sense. Eddie will sort it .. he’s good at this job 

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

You can see how he got Bournemouth relegated. He’s great at motivating a core group of players to go out and execute his plan A.  With some injuries, bad luck, loss of momentum etc. he can go on a bad run and he doesn’t seem to do a whole lot to switch things up when things aren’t working well. He doesn’t mix things up for the sake of it which has its benefits and but also disadvantages. 

I’ve accepted we are in for pain until we play once a week and get players back.  We should still win most of our games at home but away, I’ve got no hope atm. 

Bournemouth probably should have been relegated seasons before given their lack of talent for much of their PL existence under him. It took a strange set of circumstances to finally tip the balance. Not bad after punching above their weight for quite a few seasons.

that first sentence appears to be lacking in context.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

I think the problem with putting the kids in is that if we lose and they have a bad game it can mentally shatter them and delay their development. Howe probably just doesn't see some as ready for such high pressure matches. 

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't disagree I'm just making a different point about how blasé people were about Pardew's part in them battering us, at home, with a very good squad and them being very poor and managed by Di Canio. It didn't seem important to a lot of people then and it was really baffling.

If there is one thing guaranteed in this world it's a significant proportion of people pretending not to care about a derby loss like :lol:

Done with football; feel nothing; this apathy is what I've been driven to; etc etc. every time. Was always pure import grade copium then, would still be now.

2 minutes ago, astraguy said:

People wanna turn us into the old spurs here, we have the prefect manager here we just overactived last year

This ☝️

Merry Xmas astraguy.

I've read some absolute shit on here lately, culminating in piles upon piles of utter fucking drivel since 5pm yesterday. 

You've just balanced the books. 

"we don't want a team that wins just a team that tries" 

Unless I'm a whingy cunt, that is. 

2 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

This ☝️

Merry Xmas astraguy.

I've read some absolute shit on here lately, culminating in piles upon piles of utter fucking drivel since 5pm yesterday. 

You've just balanced the books. 

"we don't want a team that wins just a team that tries" 

You too !

Same shit happened when Keegan/Sir Bobby left...pep has a hard first year with a better squad,so did klopp 

27 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

“we don't want a team that wins just a team that tries" 

Again, I’m not one of those who thinks that Howe should be under the slightest pressure (or at least additional pressure - being a manager is pressured) at the moment.  But I never, ever agreed with that sentiment and it still pisses me off that a banner somehow got to speak for all of us (i also think it was a club that tries).  I want a team that wins, I’m afraid.  I’ve always wanted that.  I’m not at all happy with watching just a bunch of triers. 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Again, I’m not one of those who thinks that Howe should be under the slightest pressure (or at least additional pressure - being a manager is pressured) at the moment.  But I never, ever agreed with that sentiment and it still pisses me off that a banner somehow got to speak for all of us (i also think it was a club that tries).  I want a team that wins, I’m afraid.  I’ve always wanted that.  I’m not at all happy with watching just a bunch of triers. 

It's not even close to the actual quote and nothing closer to the sentiment. 'we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a club that tries'. It's about the lack of ambition under Ashley, nothing about the efforts of the players.

Just now, healthyaddiction said:

It's not even close to the actual quote and nothing closer to the sentiment. 'we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a club that tries'. It's about the lack of ambition under Ashley, nothing about the efforts of the players.

Yeah, I thought it was something like that.  I’ll admit I couldn’t be arsed to look it up.

Howe has earned the patience of the fans and the owners. People forget quickly how fabulous he has been for the club after a few below average away performances. This is a man who saved us from certain relegation, who transformed players of next no value (Longstaff, Schar, Almiron, Joelinton, Murphy, Krafth, Lascelles) into dependable Premier League and Champions League players, he has lead us to our first cup final in 20 + years and qualified us for the Champions League for the first time in 20 years. We are 7th in the table. We have beaten Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Aston Villa and PSG all at home this season. These players and the manager have never experienced the fixture congestion and injuries we have seen this season. We are only 2 years into our journey with new owners. Our squad is nowhere near the finished article and we are going to lose matches. Howe has more than enough credit in the bank. If we are losing games with a full squad and a full week inbetween games, then I can understand pressure building. But not yet! 

Guest reefatoon
11 hours ago, Shearergol said:

my point is, you state your views with so much fact that you know with 100% confidence that you, and only you, are right. You’re another person on the internet with pretty average opinions about our manager. Easy as that.

Screenshot_20231218-214434-229.png

Stick the self obsessed knacker on ignore fella, you won’t be disappointed. 

42 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

Howe has earned the patience of the fans and the owners. People forget quickly how fabulous he has been for the club after a few below average away performances. This is a man who saved us from certain relegation, who transformed players of next no value (Longstaff, Schar, Almiron, Joelinton, Murphy, Krafth, Lascelles) into dependable Premier League and Champions League players, he has lead us to our first cup final in 20 + years and qualified us for the Champions League for the first time in 20 years. We are 7th in the table. We have beaten Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Aston Villa and PSG all at home this season. These players and the manager have never experienced the fixture congestion and injuries we have seen this season. We are only 2 years into our journey with new owners. Our squad is nowhere near the finished article and we are going to lose matches. Howe has more than enough credit in the bank. If we are losing games with a full squad and a full week inbetween games, then I can understand pressure building. But not yet! 

Great post and basically where I’m at with it. Take this as the lessons learned season. IF, and it is an ‘if’ at this point, we get Europe next season then Eddie needs a squad and style of playing that allows him to be more flexible and rest senior personnel at the right times over the course of a near 60 game season (38 PL, 10 domestic cups, 10 - 15 games in Europe).

I think in some positions - right back - we’re at the point with Tripps and Tino where we can do that, but in so many others we have a cliff edge drop off in quality which means if you take 2-3 out at once we look a shadow of our desired style, especially away from home.

15 hours ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Think he’ll be under some pressure if we lose to Sunderland unfortunately. Our away form is unsustainable. He has to find the answers very soon. 

? 8-0, we only win 8-0! ? 

(caveats: away from home; to teams in red and white stripes)

10 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

We shouldn't have been viewed as being on their level then and I know I didn't. Our squad was miles better and they were beating us comprehensively, at home, with the likes of Colback playing for them and Di Canio managing them. It was unforgivable what Pardew did.

On 15/04/2013 at 14:45, Dr Venkman said:

I'll never ever forgive him for this like, if I didn't think it would get me chinned I'd be making a Pardew out banner right now :lol:

11 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

All this talk of the derby being a huge deal, yet it was honestly like the majority of our fanbase had been labotomised when Pardew had us getting dicked by them on the reg.

On 11/12/2023 at 16:00, Dr Venkman said:

Loads of our fans still stick up for Pardew, and we’re going to hound EH out after one defeat to these lot? [emoji38]