Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Well you don't get rid of him because we are having a bad run, obviously that run can't be never ending but he certainly deserves time for players to return and to maybe add a few.

Look at West Ham, they stuck Moyes despite a couple of poor seasons during his tenure.

Apart from the odd spell we were pretty grim today and some of the basics just weren't there. We're extremely easy to play through and very weak when teams counter (NFFC really highlighted this and continued today).

I'm not particularly upset about it in the overall scheme of the project/team (I'll avoid all other football content for a day or so as per usual when we lose [emoji38]) and appreciate we still have work to do - Howe certainly has some areas he needs to focus on but love him and the team. I feel we're still in the early phases of setting the foundations and need another season or 2 to build up the squad to compete. Last year set some high expectations but I always thought this season would be a struggle.

Hall doesn't seem to be fully trusted and these "misses" in the transfer windows hit us hard compared to other teams who have had years to build a proper squad.

Fucking hate losing to Liverpool mind you, especially like that :anguish:

Just now, simonsays said:

It's the hyperbole rather than anything else.  Everyone knows we're on a bad run if form, but our form for the 18 months previously has been better than anyone could have hoped for,.

I agree, and it has to be take as the whole picture.  A bad spell was inevitable at some point.  I think Howe does take a share of the blame - just as he takes a share of the credit for the previous form.  His managerial bank balance remains ‘in credit’ for me.  We should have some faith that he can correct what’s going wrong - including his own missteps.  He’s not going to be able correct everything at the moment - so he needs time. 

5 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

This is the bit I continue to disagree with you on. It's just not that bad. We massively overachieved last season, we're underachieving this season but for fairly clear reasons. You can and will be disagreed with when people disagree with you mate. I don't know where this sense of vindication has come from when the issues that have led us here are still present.

Yes, I'm glad he's still here but he is the reason we are where we are, both now and last season. He ran a small team of overachieving players into the ground and it worked as we were lucky with injuries.

This season we've had more games, but only 6. It hasn't merited the talk of not being able to train for 4 months. Do other CL teams not train anymore? You could argue villas schedule is worse playing on a Thursday night, but their manager has European experience and knows the need to rotate. We've been very unlucky this season with injuries, but his demands of players, lack of rotation and late subs cannot work with added games and injuries, but he's decided to not change a thing. Just keep going in hope he gets a break. You can't plan for injuries, but when they happen you need to rotate your way out of it. This is when new or young players are thrown into the deep end and it's sink or swim. Hall should have had 5 or 10 starts now and he on his was to being a squad player. He costs us points by playing? Well what are we protecting with all these losses?

It's not good enough at this level and I expected more from him and sad to see it come to this. I had no doubt he'd adapt to all that was this season, but it's continue on and compound the issues to a point were now saying it'll get worse before it gets better shite and that a loss to the mackems should just be accepted. What the actual fuck? 

I saw all this defend the manager at all costs under pardew, as he landed 5th and had credit in the bank, I didn't buy it then and don't now. 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

This is out of order. Yorkie’s got a different take to you, puts it out there. Whatever, you have different opinions. He tries to shut it down with an innocuous post basically saying “let’s just accept we don’t agree” and you respond with that

The truth hurts. He was the one who got personal...."there's summat wrong with you mate, your too entitled". Bullshit.

End of scale - Howe sacked

Other end of scale - Performance was good.

The middle ground is probably where we need to be with our thoughts.

Edited by OoOGazOoO

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

I’m not even slightly Howe out or anything but I guess my counter to that point would be why on earth is he playing? It was obvious he couldn’t run weeks ago, let alone after the first half today. That he played the full game today seems absolutely mad to me.

That we haven’t really got anyone else doesn’t really change that point either imo. He’s (same applies to Miggy) been struggling for ages… just take him out and play Ritchie for a game and sacrifice that area of the field/adapt to suit. The season is long, and especially this season you can’t just take each game as it comes like we did last season.

This is where I’m at. 

‘Anthony Gordon is heavily fatigued so he’s being rested today.’ Could’ve done that 2-3 times over the last 2 months and most would’ve understood. 

This is where Howe is perhaps naive at this level. He’s treated this run a bit like a football league campaign.  You use momentum to get through congested fixtures. At this elite level you need to utilise the squad more at any circumstance. Someone like Klopp will play a kid and then blame the FA and FIFA for fixture congestion and say he has no choice. Mourinho, Rafa and Conte will blame the board for not backing him in the transfer market to compete on all fronts. Howe’s gritting his teeth and trying to powe through it. It doesn’t work like that.  He was hoping we pick up a result or two and that momentum could carry us in other games. That’s not how it works at this level. 

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Can one of the must-criticise-Howe posters watch Anthony Gordon's recovery run for Liverpool's 3rd and explain to me why that's happening?

Could it be poor tactics, lack of effort from just one of the many players everyone should know by now that work their arses off? Laziness?

Or could it be the one smacking everyone in the face, that he like loads of them, are fucking knackered? Or is that too obvious therefore you have to ignore it and look at anything else?

I mean him being overreliant on and running certain players to the ground is one of, if not the main criticism he gets.

Gordon may have been the best pick for every individual game we have had. But looking at the bigger picture we would have been better off if he would have gotten some rest. 

2 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

End of scale - Howe sacked

Other end of scale - Performance was good.

The middle ground is probably where we need to be with our thoughts.

The performance was most definetly not good. Save Dubravka.

8 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Feels like the majority of the two "sides" are fighting about things that aren't happening :lol:

A very small minority are calling for Howe to be sacked.

A very small minority are saying you can't have any criticism of the manager.

Neither of these views are that widespread from what I can see.

There's not a single person on this thread that has said he should be sacked. Not now, or any time soon.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Thing is though pre injuries and last season he did mix it up. Maybe not perfectly, he'd sometimes make subs late and risk big players (like Bruno at Sheff Wed)

But these injuries are unprecedented like. I dunno how you approach it short of throwing some matches to win others.

I sort of tongue in cheek said this before like, that in hindsight his best option was to throw a match or two (which absolutely would not be accepted by the "he MUST do better" crowd :lol:).

Honestly struggling see what other options there were, changing one or two players is negligible as something I haven't seen talked about much is that we've likely had to dial everything back, from application in training to our pressing on field to avoid further injuries.

Trippiers individual errors cost us a few games, but it's a stretch to put that down as a major mark on Howe given how much he gives us on the ball, even during times like this.

Just now, Displayname said:

I mean him being overreliant on and running certain players to the ground is one of, if not the main criticism he gets.

Gordon may have been the best pick for every individual game we have had. But looking at the bigger picture we would have been better off if he would have gotten some rest. 

Looking at the bigger picture.........(hindsight).

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

The very fact that you accused me of being "entitled" for daring to have an opinion on a football forum is a glaring example of your gaslighting. Go and look it up before making your next post.

Come on man, gaslight chat is daft. 'Disgrace' is so unnecessarily loaded and synonymous with total incompetence and halfarsedery, and that's not what happened. They don't deserve that. 

A disgrace is making no attempt to win the game. As it happened we were in it, despite the flow of the game, until the whatever'th minute it was.

If by 'disgrace' you just mean your bog-standard 'shit' or whatever then this is basically a misunderstanding. 

I can't believe any Newcastle fan is even questioning Howe right now. Liverpool are the best team in the league RIGHT NOW, no doubt about that.

OMG!, we lost. Grow a set of balls. 2 years ago we were all apathetic about any game, win or lose, and most of them were losses! We had an owner that was as commited to the club as a (fuck knows, analogy falls short).

Our entire team is decimated through injuries and fatigue, they are not robots that you can just recharge at a filling station. The losses against Forest and Luton felt far worse than what happened today and I put that down to mental health. Going out of the Champions League to a dodgy penalty is a real kick in the nuts for anyone to recover from. This team WILL get stronger.

He turned us around from perennial no-hopers to a team with belief, now he's not good enough? Take your heads for a shit.

That's it!

It’s ok to question things. But not calling for his head imo. Massive difference. I question quite a few things that have been poor from him imo. 

Edited by Ikon

Just now, Dokko said:

Yes, I'm glad he's still here but he is the reason we are where we are, both now and last season. He ran a small team of overachieving players into the ground and it worked as we were lucky with injuries.

This season we've had more games, but only 6. It hasn't merited the talk of not being able to train for 4 months. Do other CL teams not train anymore? You could argue villas schedule is worse playing on a Thursday night, but their manager has European experience and knows the need to rotate. We've been very unlucky this season with injuries, but his demands of players, lack of rotation and late subs cannot work with added games and injuries, but he's decided to not change a thing. Just keep going in hope he gets a break. You can't plan for injuries, but when they happen you need to rotate your way out of it. This is when new or young players are thrown into the deep end and it's sink or swim. Hall should have had 5 or 10 starts now and he on his was to being a squad player. He costs us points by playing? Well what are we protecting with all these losses?

It's not good enough at this level and I expected more from him and sad to see it come to this. I had no doubt he'd adapt to all that was this season, but it's continue on and compound the issues to a point were now saying it'll get worse before it gets better shite and that a loss to the mackems should just be accepted. What the actual fuck? 

I saw all this defend the manager at all costs under pardew, as he landed 5th and had credit in the bank, I didn't buy it then and don't now. 

The not training has only been in December. Villa are playing part-timers and not Mbappe. Howe's "decisions" have been limited due to the freak injuries, which have meant he can't rotate. Can see the argument to just go with the young players anyway, he obviously has his reasons for not doing that, but can see your point.

Not good enough at this level is a silly statement. He's had his hands tied behind his back and some started getting antsy at a point where things were really just not that bad. Until the recent poor run in December we were right behind Man City - the poor run in December has come about due to the sheer number of games and not being able to train, and having no squad rotation possible.

Expectations have gotten out of control. January will be a nightmare due to the fixtures we've got, but judging him on this season so far is just wrong given the actual context. Give him a chance with an actual squad in the second half of the season - I'm confident we'll start climbing the table again.

Comparing him to Pardew is honestly not worth discussing - most people could see he was bailed out by great players and it wouldn't be sustainable, this is just not the same in any way.

I know you feel strongly about this and feel like you're being shut down, I feel equally as strongly that you're way off of the mark and have tried to go through each of your points respectfully. 

I'm going to bed :lol:

Anyone who is seriously thinking he’s e no good is deluded. Have you seen what he’s working with?  Almiron? Waste of space. Longstaff?  Will end up at Gateshead.  This is one hellof a journey and at the minute he can only piss with the cock he has got. Patience is the key. 

Edited by RS

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Who?

Lad with a Sven Botman Terminator avatar - don't remember the name but he had said that it was time for Howe to go a few weeks ago. There have been others too, but I don't keep a dossier.

Edited by LiquidAK

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

The not training has only been in December. Villa are playing part-timers and not Mbappe. Howe's "decisions" have been limited due to the freak injuries, which have meant he can't rotate. Can see the argument to just go with the young players anyway, he obviously has his reasons for not doing that, but can see your point.

Not good enough at this level is a silly statement. He's had his hands tied behind his back and some started getting antsy at a point where things were really just not that bad. Until the recent poor run in December we were right behind Man City - the poor run in December has come about due to the sheer number of games and not being able to train, and having no squad rotation possible.

Expectations have gotten out of control. January will be a nightmare due to the fixtures we've got, but judging him on this season so far is just wrong given the actual context. Give him a chance with an actual squad in the second half of the season - I'm confident we'll start climbing the table again.

Comparing him to Pardew is honestly not worth discussing - most people could see he was bailed out by great players and it wouldn't be sustainable, this is just not the same in any way.

I know you feel strongly about this and feel like you're being shut down, I feel equally as strongly that you're way off of the mark and have tried to go through each of your points respectfully. 

I'm going to bed :lol:

I'm not comparing him to pardew, but the way people will dig in and not have anything bad said was the comparison. Any other, put words in the mouth of someone to discredit their opinion.

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Howeh, its mendacious to suggest our success last season was solely Howe running players into the ground and getting lucky with injuries. 

There's going to be a difference in intensity between playing Zrinjski, Legia Warsaw & AZ Alkmaar and playing PSG, Dortmund and Milan, like. The difference in quality of teams in the Conference League and the Champions League is polarising. I agree with possibly the thought of adjusting how we play or manage games slightly this season and reduce the intensity with the added games by signing first team ready players that look after the ball in midfield a lot more than our current lot can, which we didn't do in the summer.

Got nothing to do with Howe out or anything, but I cant understand why we are so utterly terrible in possession away from home again and again. Game after game. Sometimes it look like we havent kicked a ball before. 

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Come on man, gaslight chat is daft. 'Disgrace' is so unnecessarily loaded and synonymous with total incompetence and halfarsedery, and that's not what happened. They don't deserve that. 

A disgrace is making no attempt to win the game. As it happened we were in it, despite the flow of the game, until the whatever'th minute it was.

If by 'disgrace' you just mean your bog-standard 'shit' or whatever then this is basically a misunderstanding. 

That performance was utter rubbish. There were no redeeming features and nothing to take encouragement from.

The manager is doing a really poor job right now.

I don't want the manager to be sacked. Not now, not next week & not at any point in this season. Even if we lose again on Saturday in the derby.

Does that clarify things for you?

Edited by Wandy