Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's always been there, but only teams such as Brighton and Villa have been good enough to beat the press. Unfortunately, fatigue and absentees has made the press much easier to beat.

Exactly this. Brighton especially had to play at a ridiculously high level of speed and precision to beat it and they did. I'll never accept that match as one of our poor performances, Brighton were outstanding and never gave us a chance to play our game.

Edited by Kid Icarus

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's always been there, but only teams such as Brighton and Villa have been good enough to beat the press. Unfortunately, fatigue and absentees has made the press much easier to beat.

Most definitely. A good idea would be to fine tune it somehow so it doesn’t hurt as badly as it has done lately. 

All this tactical analysis is a bit pointless as it doesn’t really address the catalyst which is fatigue.

We're conceding most of our goals after 70 mins so let’s just assume that with the right energy levels out “flat midfield” is actually fairly effective.

Not so much when running on fumes.

Post game and post training recovery needs to change/improve as it’s not working. Can’t really lay all that at Howe’s door either. His sports science department should be able to give him data that backs up what we’re all seeing on the pitch and make recommendations based on that.

10 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

All this tactical analysis is a bit pointless as it doesn’t really address the catalyst which is fatigue.

We're conceding most of our goals after 70 mins so let’s just assume that with the right energy levels out “flat midfield” is actually fairly effective.

Post game and post training recovery needs to change/improve as it’s not working. Can’t really lay all that at Howe’s door either. His sports science department should be able to give him data that backs up what we’re all seeing on the pitch and make recommendations based on that.

Obviously fatigue and injuries are the main reason, but surely a tactical change is necessary if it keeps happening?

6 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

It isnt pointless, fatigue or not. There is a pattern to address. Obviously the late goals fatigue is a big reason, but if you look at the pictures its all from early in the games to around 60 min.

14 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Obviously fatigue and injuries are the main reason, but surely a tactical change is necessary if it keeps happening?

For me the 5 subs rule plays a massive part in this and we struggle to make one or two subs some games, especially against teams like City when there is zero drop off in quality…

Pep and Klopp were desperate for the rule change as they have the biggest squads and even more important the most experience in managing with big squads. 

Edited by Monters

23 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

When we’re fatigued we’re especially terrible though. Incapable of doing anything but surrendering possession and playing backs to the wall, which completely ends us as an attacking threat and inevitably results in us conceding at least a goal or 2. That’s what needs addressing because fatigue will always be a factor even with a fully fit squad and every side needs a plan B.

25 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Well yeah, but if we are fatigued then trying to play that midfield, pressing like that only adds to the issues. I personally thought the midfield looked super open against villa (yes I know we beat them) 

But there is fatigue, so surely we then have to adapt to it. We are just doing the same thing and we dont have the tools to do it. You dont have to change everything, just tweek few things to try to overcome it. I dont know..It seems so clear where the issue is with the midfield and nothing is done to it. It is just very frustrating. We look so easy to play against.

54 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

This is why we need to mix it up. We can’t do the same thing every game.

Its why we couldn’t break down Luton and Forrest.

Howe is a good manager and just needs to develop. He is not the finished article.

Hard disagree - that same style got us Champions League football last season.

What we need is more quality on the pitch, and fresh legs at 60 minutes on account of the accumulation of fatigue/injuries, and we are lacking in both categories

Kills me that we're 1 Italian's gambling problem away from likely not even having this discussion at all :lol: He'd better put in prime gattuso performances for the next 10 years.

31 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

What we need is more quality on the pitch, and fresh legs at 60 minutes on account of the accumulation of fatigue/injuries, and we are lacking in both categories

You always have to mix it up man. Honestly we can’t do the same plan every week.

Especially when you have to adapt to the circumstances.

33 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

But when we haven’t got that extra quality and the injuries and fatigue is an issue, surely a tactical change is needed ?

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Certainly has considering the amount of shots on target are in double figures against us past few games.

Edited by Myleftboot

5 hours ago, Smal said:

If our midfield line is pressing that high then the defensive line has to step up higher too. We can’t put all the focus on the midfield shape. The defence can’t be that deep when the midfield are pressing, it’s crazy.

In the screenshot there’s no pressure on Rodri.  You can’t step up unlesss there’s pressure on the ball/man. 

It’s when we have a mid/low midfield block with delayed press on the ball, it’s extremely easy to find a pass between the lines. 

3 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Did we change formation last season, like towards the end? I don’t know if I have imagined it but I thought we did maybe around this time actually not the end of the season. Wonder if Howe will consider it again

For 20 minutes against Fulham at home we went 4231. Isak behind Wilson.  

This season we’ve fluted with a back 5 a few times. 

I don’t buy that we’ve been figured out. But if we don’t switch things up - teams will figure it out even with a fully fit squad. 

We will need a win against a good team away from home at some point this season.  And we won’t if we can’t play without the ball. 

7 hours ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

The problem isn’t the defence for me. It’s that defensive midfield hole that we have.

If we had a beast of a defensive midfielder teams wouldn’t be cutting through us.

Agreed, and I meant defensive unit. I think the tweet also agrees and suggests why

2 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

The way we play is partly responsible for the fatigue.  You can’t play this sort of tactic when playing every three days, and with a squad blighted by injuries.

And a lot of teams have sussed us, too.

I think next season we‘ll see changes in play style etc.  Howe will spend his ‘holidays’ (I don’t think the man rests) thinking of ways to change it up. 

27 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

We definitely need to be more comfortable holding possession and slowing the game down. 

Yes, but extremely difficult to do that with Joelinton and Longstaff in midfield.