Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 hours ago, Gottlob said:

Our bad run of form started with a couple of whoopings against Everton and Tottenham in which Joelinton played the full ninety minutes. He also featured against Nottingham Forest and played for most of the defeat against Liverpool. Discounting the Forest game, we let in 11 goals over those 3 matches.

Going back 12 games to the Everton match, we sit 17th in the form table with 11 points from 12 matches and a league-leading 31 goals against. That isn't down to any one player or any one player's absence. It's a collective failure born of an unprecedented injury crisis, fatigue, a loss of form and the ensuing loss of confidence, and our inability so far to mitigate any of those things, change things up or find real room for improvement. Howe ultimately bears responsibility for how easy we've been to play against and for our inability to keep the football.

I agree it’s not down to one thing and I think Howe would be the first to admit he bears ultimate responsibility.

However, there is one player whose absence coincides perfectly with the collapse of our defensive form beginning at Everton. I think losing Pope at the exact same time the fixtures became too much with our injury situation was the killer one-two punch. And then energy levels pick up a bit, but we lose all athleticism in the midfield.

What’s the record of a club who’ve lost their #1 keeper? And what’s that record when that team loses 10+ first team players? What’s also that team’s record when they lose the actual engine to their game plan?

7 hours ago, Menace said:

Getting tired of people calling fellow fans entitled for witnessing shite.

That performance was horrific. The midfield was just getting ran through and our players immediately looked lethargic from the start of the game.

Any criticism of Howe and it's automatically "entitled Saudi regime fans" or "Eddie deserves better" it's fucking boring man.

I hope they sack him tomorrow.

Let's see what genius manager will come in and have the current available players playing any better and beating everyone.

Can't wait.

5 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I still don't really see any fundamental flaws in his managerial ability that warrants him any serious flak. No compelling evidence whatsoever to suggest we haven't got one of the best managers in the league, who we'd do incredibly well to improve upon. 

Results have been very mixed recently but I just can't look beyond the duff hand he's had with squad availability, with all the direct and indirect impacts that's had. From the massive direct impacts of the drop-off in goalkeeper quality, to the indirect impact of confidence being lost.

I think it's fair to conclude that there's a method in existence which results in a better return than 19 goals conceded in seven games, but I can't believe that last season's GC column was a fluke - or even the spell in Autumn when were conceding 0.5 per game. 

Stop talking so much sense, boot licker!

6 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Fuck off. Stop calling for change any minute we do not do well always. Maybe Arsenal should have sacked Arteta for missing champions league?

Think that one went over your head pal.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Think that one went over your head pal.

Not the time to be sarcastic. But I know you’re one who supports Howe mate.  My comment wasn’t meant for you bro. 

This 'signing players for Eddie's system' stuff is a load of bollocks, right?

We've signed some absolute class. Trippier, Bruno, Isak, Tonali etc. and others aren't one dimensional footballers. The more future signings like Tino and Hall are definitely technical players as well.

Most of the hard-working, physical but lacking in technique ones were, shock horror, here when we were a relegation-battling side.

5 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Said it at the time but I honestly feel we'll look back on last season (+ PSG at home as a kind of epilogue) as the apogee of this entire ownership era. Such amazing momentum and positive feeling around the club, a manager squeezing everything out of his resources, squad full of likeable hardworking players and local lads punching well above their weight. Home and away atmospheres were both consistently fun. Basically a perfect storm before everything changes forever.

It's already gone very sour with the raised expectations this year and changing fan dynamics. Fans actively turning on the manager who led success, the same players who punched well above their weight last year being absolutely slaughtered now. The ticketing situation has also been a clear sign of what's to come. I don't even completely disagree with a lot of what's been said, I'm liable to it myself, but it's just more than a bit sad tbh. 

The club is going to get there eventually and be the successful club people want it to be, but with FFP its going to be a really long slog and by the end of it things will be unrecognisable. There's going to be raised ticket prices, fundamental changes to the matchday experience, sacrificial sales of key players, years more of imperfect players in the lineup and also many more painful transitional results like today. I do think all need to take a step back at times and come to terms with this reality. I've found the entire atmosphere surrounding this season a bit miserable tbh and found myself pulling away because of it 

With the way FFP has been setup this was always going to be a project. And the owners told us this. But still a different narrative exists about so called expectations.

I think we have the ideal manager for a project too. One that will be committed to seeing it through and who works tirelessly to be the best he can, and who gets the best out of the players he has at his disposal, even those that aren't that great.

It's astonishing the reaction to the rough patch we've had this season, and I too have found it particularly terrible and disappointing.

People just can't seem to understand that this is not going to be some Man City or Chelsea like turn around due to the blocks FFP have put in place. They refuse to accept reality.

A major part of us even having done as well as we have so far was transforming the dross and under performers we had at the club. That was down to Howe.

Let's see the 'elite' manager that is going to come along and do the same with the likes of Almiron, Longstaff, Murphy, Willock, Joelinton etc, as there will be no money for a major rebuild.

I cannot wait.

Edited by KaKa

Id love for the genius know it Alls here who run a business to explain what they’d do to keep up with their business plan when their top 4-5 people are not able to work. But no no no it’s Howe ball and ashworth and all this other fucking utter stupid nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

This 'signing players for Eddie's system' stuff is a load of bollocks, right?

We've signed some absolute class. Trippier, Bruno, Isak, Tonali etc. and others aren't one dimensional footballers. The more future signings like Tino and Hall are definitely technical players as well.

Most of the hard-working, physical but lacking in technique ones were, shock horror, here when we were a relegation-battling side.

Let's not let facts get in the way of fantasy.

13 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Not the time to be sarcastic. But I know you’re one who supports Howe mate.  My comment wasn’t meant for you bro. 

Ah, okay. Thought you were replying to my post :thup:

14 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Id love for the genius know it Alls here who run a business to explain what they’d do to keep up with their business plan when their top 4-5 people are not able to work. But no no no it’s Howe ball and ashworth and all this other fucking utter stupid nonsense. 

Even Arsenal fans weren't this over the top when Arteta was struggling to get 4th with a far higher quality squad, and while spending a lot of money.

It's literally one season after getting us Champions League against all odds, and all this noise.

It's pretty disgraceful, but if this is what the fan base at large ends up being then so be it. They will no doubt learn the hard way, and get what they deserve.

Edited by KaKa

The knee-jerk shit almost typifies the fans that expected instant success, the “wa thu richest club in the world man” types. 

We had an amazing season last season that has only fuelled the fire. I’ve seen some bizzare shit posted this season, absolutely not taking any note of injuries, games played etc. It seems to be getting worse. Self entitlement is an awful trait. 

Mike Ashley. Steve Bruce. John Carver.  Dennis Wise. Joe Kinnear. Alan Pardew.  Fucking have some of that

Blackburn is the biggest game of the season so far. Beat them and we’re down to potentially being in Europe with 2 wins, depending who is the other team in the cup final.

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not like Luke to be a voice of reason. 

He's still making a shit point though. First of all "in 2024" - well its only February and the last two results in 2023 were defeats to Forest and Luton. We've also drawn with both Bournemouth and Luton at home.

We're clearly in shit form. That isn't the same as "Sack Eddie" or "Richest club in tha' World". The fact that the poor form has continued despite players gradually returning from injury and the fixtures list easing is a concern.

We've got a favourable run of fixtures coming up so there is plenty of time to change the narrative. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Stop talking so much sense, boot licker!

Yeah - fuck off back to “sensible land” and live in your “level headed house”. Some people want us to go through managers like spinal tap drummers. Yeah I don’t agree with some of his decisions but sack him?? That’s obscured.

i said before the season started I think we’d finish around 8th and I’d be happy but to do it with our injury list is decent, plus that is first defeat in 5 games for us.

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

But both Klopp and Pep proved they were elite coached a long time ago. Howe hasn’t.  

I don’t think Howe is as good as either. I would like to see him given a chance to prove me wrong. But this season has the potential to be horrid and cost him his job and he won’t be unlucky if it happens.  

He has to scrape us to 7th imo.  From what I’ve seen in the last few weeks - I don’t see it.  We need to improve. Perhaps Joe W coming back is a turning point. He doesn’t have the answers with the current midfield options.  

You're not disagreeing with me here, you're emphasising the point I'm making.

The rest I think is a bit over the top and excessively pessimistic imo, but that's your opinion, fair enough. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Even Arsenal fans weren't this over the top when Arteta was struggling to get 4th with a far higher quality squad, and while spending a lot of money.

It's literally one season after getting us Champions League against all odds, and all this noise.

It's pretty disgraceful, but if this is what the fan base at large ends up being then so be it. They will no doubt learn the hard way, and get what they deserve.

I’ll have you know I’m a Devops Engineering Lead and not a few months ago I had a fairly new developer in on her own that week as the other devs were either ill or away on holiday . We had a deadline and release to hit at the end of the week and she just couldn’t get it done so I sacked her!!

(I didn’t- just wanted to get down how stupid it sounds in real world off I had)

Edited by Gawalls