Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

18 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Sounds like he was asking should we setup 3-2 in build-up. That's high-level stuff that's obvious to the untrained eye. If we have been coached defined patterns of play - we would recognise them no matter who is playing. And some of them we do see e.g. the 8's pushing right up and supporting the striker. Our out of possession approach and patterns are obvious too.

Burn's comment was specifically about a pass and move that happened on the wing iirc (might have been his goal in the cup last season, Big Jer was involved). It looked incredibly simple, and not even worthy of note had the interaction in the interview not occured, but it was a glimpse that even basic pass and moves are being drummed into them.

It's just an example of a simple, spontaneous looking goal that us laymen would never have guessed was off the training ground.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

27 minutes ago, Dokko said:

If we repeat this seasons performances and we're halfway through then he'll be rightly jettisoned, especially if we're highly active in the transfer market.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PIF side are already putting pressure on to source options. 

If they are then that’s extremely worrying for how they want to run the club. 

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Another weird opinion :lol:

500+ drone strikes. About 4,000 lives lost. A status-quo man. 

The head of US imperialism isn't for me like but I don't come here to talk politics. But there are many reasons to despise Mr. Obama.

Charming and good looking though.

Edited by The College Dropout

33 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Still massively behind him, but that’s mental. This season was always going to be a gimme for him in my mind, was always going to be too much too soon, but he needs to start next season strongly or he’ll be in trouble.

I mean, I meant no matter what within reason. Obviously if we can’t win a game and we’re looking like getting relegated then he’ll be sacked. But that won’t happen. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm still hopeful that Hall will come good, he has the ability. 

I really liked what I saw of him at Chelsea albeit in just a couple of games. I think he will come good.

3 hours ago, NWMag said:

It’s a valid theory to put forward, and you’re right in the sense that overachieving isn’t limited just to the players. 

however I believe that a large part of them overperforming was down to Howe. 

As said I do have faith in Howe, however I do acknowledge that he also needs to evolve and make improvements to himself if he is going to reach the top. 

Well the 'over performing now regressed to the mean/norm' theory needs to take into account a season and half of over performance. From January to May 2022 we amassed 2 points per game. Incredible given we'd only picked up 11 points from the first 19 games.  It obviously needs to take into account a full season leading to a 4th place finish and should somehow take in the better performances this season.

Which kind of stretches the believability a little. Perhaps we're just having a bad spell and our norm, with current squad, is more top six territory. 

From the match I saw last night Bruno was playing in midfield alone, fighting for his life and taking on all responsibility.

Willock tried a few things but just isn't anywhere near sharp enough yet, and so was mostly absent. Longstaff's form has completely fallen of a cliff and he might as well have been playing for Blackburn at times. Miley tried when he came on but wasn't able to have any impact.

This is affecting both our attack and our defence at the moment as the midfield is not building up play well enough to create enough for the forwards, and at the same time is not protecting the defence either.

All this talk of playing a strong team is good and all, but it really isn't translating on the pitch at the minute. I don't know how we can rectify this with the state Longstaff and Willock are in currently.

Wolves have been looking full of energy lately and have been playing well. They are brutal in transition.

I'm not looking forward to the game at all.

Edited by KaKa

8 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Well the 'over performing now regressed to the mean/norm' theory needs to take into account a season and half of over performance. From January to May 2022 we amassed 2 points per game. Incredible given we'd only picked up 11 points from the first 19 games.  It obviously needs to take into account a full season leading to a 4th place finish and should somehow take in the better performances this season.

Which kind of stretches the believability a little. Perhaps we're just having a bad spell and our norm, with current squad, is more top six territory. 

there’s another part to that in that maybe Eddies strength is in taking a club at rock bottom and building it up, but then isn’t the one who sustains and adds the cherry.

they are different skill sets and have different pressures. People often say a Mourinho or Ancellotti wouldn’t do well at a Bournemouth, and they are probably right but they are 2 of the best at managing the big clubs 

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

But how many reasons are within the club or manager’s control?! Hall transfer looks weird but even then maybe it’s genuinely one for the future. 

I agree, but it's hard to judge the quality or fit of the signings. On paper you can see the thinking though.

Edited by The Prophet

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Where has it been discredited?

Injuries and injury management are a part of football. That excuse doesn't remove accountability (and that is wider than Howe).

Our wage bill is £50m+ more than West Ham, Brighton and Wolves. That's the combined salary of Isak, Bruno, Botman, Trippier, Pope, Tonali and more. Finishing below all 3 (and Chelsea) would be a bad season. We finished 12th under Bruce.  I don't think that will happen though. I reckon we'll win 6 out of 8 or something by the end of the season.

Injuries are part and parcel of football, but when you lose half your squad, and they are all key players, citing the 7th highest wage bill is a bit ingenuous.

I don’t think there is any way to make us reliably good with the midfield we have now. 

We could change system maybe, but then you’d have to offset the disadvantage of training everyone in the ‘wrong’ system for however many weeks. 

If you can somehow keep Longstaff, Murphy and Burn out of the team then most of the technical problems and losing the ball should be improved. But then you still have the massive defensive weaknesses that our midfield personnel have. 

Honestly haven’t a clue what I would do. Possibly play Anderson and Willock and tell them both not to attack at the same time. Fill Trippier into midfield and play Miggy to add extra defensive work. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

20 hours ago, Big Jow said:

I’m not judging him on it, which is why I said I’d prefer to know the answers before making assumptions or judgements.

I’d be concerned if there was truth to the McTominay and Phillips rumours being led by Howe as they are exactly the opposite of what we need. The wider point is about chasing expensive but poor signings based on PL or British experience. If this was the case I don’t think we’ll progress like we want to because we’ll constantly overpay for players when FFP is already hampering our efforts. Hence why, if it was true, I’d have question marks over Howe in that regard.

However, as I said, we don’t and won’t know, so it blurs the lines as to whether it’s a genuine concern and therefore makes it impossible to judge.

A fit, motivated playing well  player like Phillips is exactly what we need.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

From the match I saw last night Bruno was playing in midfield alone, fighting for his life and taking on all responsibility.

Willock tried a few things but just isn't anywhere near sharp enough yet, and so was mostly absent. Longstaff's form has completely fallen of a cliff and he might as well have been playing for Blackburn at times. Miley tried when he came on but wasn't able to have any impact.

This is affecting both our attack and our defence at the moment as the midfield is not building up play well enough to create enough for the forwards, and at the same time is not protecting the defence either.

All this talk of playing a strong team is good and all, but it really isn't translating on the pitch at the minute. I don't know how we can rectify this with the state Longstaff and Willock are in currently.

Wolves have been looking full of energy lately and have been playing well. They are brutal in transition.

I'm not looking forward to the game at all.

I saw it like this as well. There was a lot of criticism of Bruno in the match thread, but from where I was sitting, he was trying to get a hold of the game single-handedly, everyone else was either hiding or getting overwhelmed by Blackburn's energy.

Agree also on the Wolves game, said as much in that pre-match thread.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Injuries are part and parcel of football, but when you lose half your squad, and they are all key players, citing the 7th highest wage bill is a bit ingenuous.

It’s ludicrous. 

Any post that starts ‘we’ve had loads of injuries but…’ should just be ignored TBH. 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

One of the teams above is Chelsea. And there’s a £50m+ gap between us and the other teams sitting above us btw.  

Thats the full picture of the finances.  

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Tonali - can argue all day about if they should've known. Spending so much money on one player is always a massive risk. 

Barnes - think we should've got a creative RW.  Still expect to be a good signing.

Tino - great signing on paper.. needed more buy-in from the manager IMO

Hall - well..

There's lots of ways the window could've gone. Could've tried spreading funds more. 

Mine is Kieran Maguire. Look him up on X. I've shared the precise post elsewhere on the board.

He uses clubs latest public financial accounts. Most haven't been released for 2023.

What's your source?

Spotrac mainly, but ever other site that talks about wages also has us 9th or 10th. I'll have a look at Kieran Maguire's though, I wonder why he's the only analyst using the actual accounts.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. That's how this forum is - someone is either the best thing in the world or the worst. No in-between.

I might come across as a major Howe critic but I'm not. I just don't see him as infallible and I think he's made several mistakes and decisions. As well as some great ones. I also think other decision-makers at the club got things wrong in the summer.

Alternatively, the majority of people fall in to the 'in-between' space, and a few of them think you put across poor arguments, and tell you so. 

30 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think there is any way to make us reliably good with the midfield we have now. 

We could change system maybe, but then you’d have to offset the disadvantage of training everyone in the ‘wrong’ system for however many weeks. 

If you can somehow keep Longstaff, Murphy and Burn out of the team then most of the technical problems and losing the ball should be improved. But then you still have the massive defensive weaknesses that our midfield personnel have. 

Honestly haven’t a clue what I would do. Possibly play Anderson and Willock and tell them both not to attack at the same time. Fill Trippier into midfield and play Miggy to add extra defensive work. 

never even close to our first choice midfield but we've had no choice for ages.

it'll change over the coming weeks.

15 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Spotrac mainly, but ever other site that talks about wages also has us 9th or 10th. I'll have a look at Kieran Maguire's though, I wonder why he's the only analyst using the actual accounts.

Probably because actual accounts will be out of date with reality. These are 22/23 accounts I believe and others are still on 21/22. https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1762492809121280064?s=20

But it's the most accurate data available.

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Dan Burn let slip the 'phase of play' they practiced a while back, said something along the lines of "was that routine 3?" before Howe cut him off. It looked like a standard pass and move to the untrained eye, which we all have.

My guess would be that we spend a significant ammount of time working on patterns of play, hence our ease of making it into the opponents box when on form (our 'touches in opponents box' was always really high, along with our xG).

The phrase he used was 'was that pattern #'?. And yeah, there's been some stuff published on EH focussing a lot on muscle memory for how the players move when the ball is in certain parts of the pitch, through repetition.

32 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

One of the teams above is Chelsea. And there’s a £50m+ gap between us and the other teams sitting above us btw.  

Thats the full picture of the finances.  

It's not the full picture of the injuries though, unless the teams above us also have the same percentage of their top ranking players out through injury.