Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

He has credits in the bank for sure. But he has lost some already. Yes, we have had injury issues, but so have other sides like Spurs and Brighton. We are too one dimensional and if the press isn’t working there is no backup plan. He has had 4 months to fix our poor defensive displays, with zero improvement. I think if we finish the season outside the top 7 and don’t start next season well, they will look to replace him. 

And so they should.

5 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

We are too one dimensional and if the press isn’t working there is no backup plan. He has had 4 months to fix our poor defensive displays, with zero improvement.

That's my biggest gripe, really. No real green shoots of progress even.

I thought we reached the point last season where even if Newcastle aren't at their best, or are outgunned, they'll be competitive, organised and won't get blown away. There's not a team in the league that would surprise me if you told me they beat Newcastle by 3 goals. CHRIS WOOD SCORED A HATTRICK. CHRIS FUCKING WOOD. My thought from last season feels like a distant, distant dream.

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I don’t think there are any genuine excuses or reasons this time. We looked disjointed and sloppy after 9 days since our last game. It’s unacceptable, really. 

One of the main arguments for positives come Feb onwards was games just once a week, more time on training ground etc. Yet by large, we look worse for it as things haven’t improved. Same issues defensively, same issues in midfield.

Simplistic, but Man Utd away (just because it’s OT) is only league game that we should be 2nd faves in. Spurs at home probably other due to league positions, but outside top 3, we should be faves for all home games. Good 20+ points easily left there. Think anything less than 60 points this season is a disaster. 

Appreciate it’s not entirely negative but the fact we’re now averaging more goals (for and against) per game than all but one side in Premier League history feels particularly damning. A complete loss of control.

He's not a miracle worker.

We are an average side. Having a first eleven consisting of..

Almiron

Dan Burn

Dubravka

Longstaff

Proves it.  We are not entitled to show up and win.  

For such a young progressive manager he sure is stuck in his ways. This season is one hell of a leveller for him. He just needs to get it over with and start again next year. I'd like to see him mix it up now, try new things and players. Give others a chance. Expose Hall, ffs.

I hope the club back him, however giving him full control (Howe jnr promotion being the start) might not be the smartest move, especially if they have any doubts. One thing is for certain, we've got to get the next window right and if he's in full charge, and it goes wrong, we're fucked for a wee while. 

3 minutes ago, Menace said:

If we replace him with Mourinho - I'll genuinely throw up.

I can’t even picture what present day Mourinho could do with this side.  A chequebook manager isn’t where we are at the moment.  I still think it would be crackers to contemplate sacking Howe this season, but it is an undeniable concern that things are just not improving.

Howe has to be far more ruthless this summer than he was last - the squad needs a good bit of recycling.  We’ll not take in anything like what we would have last year, but a serious overhaul is needed. 

11 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Eddie really had these playing out of their fucking skins last year. I fear that this is more the level for a lot of them than what we saw last year.

I'm still down to give Eddie the summer rebuild though. We need some serious quality bodies in.

Now I'm still on the Howe train for next season, but I do think its fair to ask if last season was the blip for him and what we are seeing now is more of the norm.

It's not the results, injuries see to that, but its the manner of defeats and a seeming lack of something from some of the players on the pitch. I'm not saying they aren't trying, they all look knackered coming off but there is something not quite there from the eye test

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

He's going to back to Chelsea, and I reckon he'll have them back in the top 4 next season.

He'd be a disaster for us though

He’d struggle to get Man City top 4 man. He’s finished.

Still has my backing also and I should imagine the majority of fans. But we can still call a spade a spade at times. Definitely agree it's not just injury related. I think maybe we've just been sussed out as we seem to be so tactically rigid.

Edited by 1892er

An unprecedented injury crisis has clearly rocked us badly and we're struggling to get the train back on the tracks. Players are back now, I really think we just need a couple of wins to build a bit of confidence and momentum to finish the season strongly. Get Pope back in from next month, get that defensive stability back, and attack the last quarter of the season.

Expectations have risen massively - we're still in the hunt for Europe and still in the cup (albeit probably not for another round :lol:)

Howe is the man, still completely back him. 

1 minute ago, aussiemag said:

We have shipped 34 goals in the last 14 games. You aren’t going to win many games of football when you need to score 3 to win. 

The loss of Pope has been instrumental- and not just because he’s a better GK than Dubravka.  The back line are too deep due to the way Dubravka plays, and the mistakes are coming thick and fast. 

3 minutes ago, Sandro Tonali said:

My god. Backwards? We went forwards 100x under this man. People need to get a grip and realise where we were when he took over. Embarrassing support 

Perfectly good mentality to have if we were still under our previous ownership and had a Pardew style 5th place finish last year or something

In this reality kind of need to be a bit more balanced by now. Nobody has said he hasn't taken us to incredible heights but there are perfectly rational reasons why anyone can have doubts about certain aspects about him yet still want him to succeed.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

The loss of Pope has been instrumental- and not just because he’s a better GK than Dubravka.  The back line are too deep due to the way Dubravka plays, and the mistakes are coming thick and fast. 

Which is 100% on Howe not changing things.

The club should be speaking with agents to see if a suitable replacement is interested in joining, if the right person can be found then bring them in as soon as possible.

I like Howe as a person but he doesn’t have the ability to turn this season around.

1 minute ago, dcmk said:

Almiron

Dan Burn

Dubravka

Longstaff

We have alternatives on the bench but he keeps playing out of form players such as Burn and Longstaff. 

Would he play Alphonso Davies instead of Dan Burn? I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I can’t even picture what present day Mourinho could do with this side.  A chequebook manager isn’t where we are at the moment.  I still think it would be crackers to contemplate sacking Howe this season, but it is an undeniable concern that things are just not improving.

Howe has to be far more ruthless this summer than he was last - the squad needs a good bit of recycling.  We’ll not take in anything like what we would have last year, but a serious overhaul is needed. 

He can't even drop burn when players are whizzing by him for fun, sometimes with 3 alternatives on the bench. I wouldn't hold you're breath for a ruthless Howe.

4 minutes ago, dcmk said:

Almiron

Dan Burn

Dubravka

Longstaff

The Dubravka one is the biggest as he's shit and like a table footy keeper rooted to the line, can't argue that one much. But...

He's had a chance to take Burn out of the firing line for months and chosen not to with Hall and Livra on the bench. Longstaff, OK we had literally only three fit midfielders for a while, but even now with options on the bench he won't ever sub him (6 subs in 120 mins at Blackburn and he still wouldn't take him off). He chose to start Almiron despite Murphy playing really well last weekend. Eddie is choosing to play them week after week.

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

Appreciate it’s not entirely negative but the fact we’re now averaging more goals (for and against) per game than all but one side in Premier League history feels particularly damning. A complete loss of control.

I love Howe but this is very true. Although the injuries have contributed to that loss of control.