Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

22 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

What strong rumours ? And I can’t see how he would feel let down with the amout he’s already been backed.

The hotel rumours and the power struggle with Ashworth. He's been given players (hall), not necessarily backed. This winter window we needed recruits for the sake of the players physical health, the season and for him. I don't believe nothing could have been done. 

4 hours ago, JJ7 said:

Because we appointed an awful replacement. Things were starting to go wrong the season before and we should have got a new manager that summer from a position of strength, with Bobby moving upstairs. Ended up making a total mess of it. 

The exact scenario I hope the club would avoid this time around. They came out and backed Eddie for the long term a few weeks ago, they either have to stick to that or if they now have concerns act at the end of the season. none of this 5-10 games next season bollocks

6 minutes ago, duo said:

The one big thing I really disagree with Eddie on is that we played well.  We were awful.

Usually he's fairly honest with his assessment after the game so bit weird. Hopefully told the players the opposite.

40 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

The exact scenario I hope the club would avoid this time around. They came out and backed Eddie for the long term a few weeks ago, they either have to stick to that or if they now have concerns act at the end of the season. none of this 5-10 games next season bollocks

If we see signs of improvement sure(doesnt have to be top 4 level), but if the current performances continue into the next season..

What the owners say in public means nothing tbh.

1 hour ago, 80 said:

I took as being the hotel chat, to be honest.

There must have been something in the rumours then, I can't see some minor twitter chat being that detrimental to our form if there wasnt some truth to it. 

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

The hotel rumours and the power struggle with Ashworth. He's been given players (hall), not necessarily backed. This winter window we needed recruits for the sake of the players physical health, the season and for him. I don't believe nothing could have been done. 

Can someone fill me in on the 'hotel rumors' or 'hotel chat' thing? thanks

1 minute ago, Izakaya said:

There must have been something in the rumours then, I can't see some minor twitter chat being that detrimental to our form if there wasnt some truth to it. 

I think there's a ton of reasons not to give it any credit, and plenty of reasons for our form to collapse around then regardless of any off pitch stuff. We've got problems with tactics now, but there's no denying we were shattered through injuries and fatigue in those days.

9 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

:lol:

2 hours ago, Displayname said:

Dont agree with his lack of trust in Eddie and that he can turn it around, but agree with pretty much everything else. I dont care about the results, its the performances the last 3 months now that really bugs me. Its not about the players because the same players looked much better in the past. 

They just look completely shot of confidence and have no idea what they are doing, which you cant blame any other than the manager for. The buck stops with him. 

I dont doubt Eddies qualities, but im also concerned that he works to hard and is prone to burn out. I really do believe/hope that he will turn it around next season after a summer break and a less hectic schedule being out of Europe. 

The months where we couldn't field a starting 11 with first team players you mean? :lol: My main critism has been that Howe should have started rotating players more frequently much much earlier in the season, and not risked players who were playing through injury/with niggles or just coming back from injury. However, once we were knee deep in injury shit, I honestly think no manager could have done noticably better than Howe has.

Pointing at Klopp and how Liverpool has played with an injury ridden squad isn't really comparable (not saying you specifically have made this argument, but seen others have) considering that they have much more quality in depth in their squad, more quality in their youth system and have had many more years to settle their set up towards making players ready to play in Klopps system. Klopp hasn't masterminded some kind of special tactics in a time of crisis - looks to me like they play like they always do with high tempo, high press (maybe some of their younger players have been more energetic than some of their ageing seniors?), which is exactly what Howe has tried to do with us through this period.

Feel very confident that Howe will get it right. The last 24hrs it has been surreal to read some of the opinions on here just because we didn't win at a ground we haven't won at since 2012(?) against a team that is looking a lot better than they did at the start of the season, with a good manager and many talented players.

4 hours ago, Dokko said:

So glad I settled with beat the mackems, and fuck the rest of the season off mentality when I did. He has this season whether we lose every game or not, just makes the decision very easy come the end for the club. 

I am surprised though he hasn't turned it around yet. Some moments like villa and wolves, but moments, not any kind of form or structure. He's not learned any lessons either, which means he's too stubborn or doesn't know how to change. The elite managers adapt and sometimes reinvent themselves. I thought Eddie was going to be the new breed of that. This season has shown his limitations, and it's shit as you want him to do well and get back on it, but time is running out.

Get humped out the cup at the weekend, and there really isn't much to look forward to, just go through the motions, and hope no more players get injured. Not the inspiring March to the top we all were experiencing this time last season.

Something happened around the end of Nov, early December. Not the CL. That was tough, but expected before a ball was kicked. Something behind the scenes. Some strong rumours around that time, I wonder if he feels let down by a few and with the club not backing him in the winter window, feels a bit isolated. 

We don't need to speculate. We don't need a hotel scandal or a behind the scenes fallout with Ashworth. We all watched this play out in real time. 

We played a month+ with a mounting injury crisis and a game every 3-4 days. The cracks started to show at Bournemouth and then, after an international break, we had 11 players give their all with three monumental performances in a week. At the end of the third one we lost our GK. A week later the wheels started coming off.

That's what happened in late November / early December.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

We don't need to speculate. We don't need a hotel scandal or a behind the scenes fallout with Ashworth. We all watched this play out in real time. 

We played a month+ with a mounting injury crisis and a game every 3-4 days. The cracks started to show at Bournemouth and then, after an international break, we had 11 players give their all with three monumental performances in a week. At the end of the third one we lost our GK. A week later the wheels started coming off.

That's what happened in late November / early December.

Spot on. No other explanation is required for things going to pot around then; it was pretty obvious it was going to happen and it wasn't really avoidable once we'd gone past a certain threshold. You'd need rock solid proof before you started rewriting the history of that time.

5 hours ago, Conjo said:

The months where we couldn't field a starting 11 with first team players you mean? :lol: My main critism has been that Howe should have started rotating players more frequently much much earlier in the season, and not risked players who were playing through injury/with niggles or just coming back from injury. However, once we were knee deep in injury shit, I honestly think no manager could have done noticably better than Howe has.

Pointing at Klopp and how Liverpool has played with an injury ridden squad isn't really comparable (not saying you specifically have made this argument, but seen others have) considering that they have much more quality in depth in their squad, more quality in their youth system and have had many more years to settle their set up towards making players ready to play in Klopps system. Klopp hasn't masterminded some kind of special tactics in a time of crisis - looks to me like they play like they always do with high tempo, high press (maybe some of their younger players have been more energetic than some of their ageing seniors?), which is exactly what Howe has tried to do with us through this period.

Feel very confident that Howe will get it right. The last 24hrs it has been surreal to read some of the opinions on here just because we didn't win at a ground we haven't won at since 2012(?) against a team that is looking a lot better than they did at the start of the season, with a good manager and many talented players.

Im not mad because we lost away to Chelsea away, Im mad because we play like shit. Like I said, its not the results.

Injuries and fatigue of players is a partial explaination and maybe the trigger,  but I think he handled the period very poorly not giving players time to recover. I think its foolish to dismiss the idea of giving youngsters oppurtunities when our main players clearly were totally knackered from 60-70mins every single game. And like you said he should have rotated players earlier on in the season, but also filled the squad up with players he could actually trust in situations like these and not let them just rot on the bench (Hall/Dummett/Richie) if he had plans to compete in all cups(which I think was a bad idea in our first CL campaign in decades).

And the bad form has just continued after getting players back and with a less demanding schedule. So personally I think the main explaination is fatigue in Howe himself and him lacking confidence and conviction after we got fucked against PSG. I could see it in him that it really fucking hurt.

We're currently a bit hit and miss. Since the turn of the year we've turned in some decent performances including City, Villa and Wolves. On the other hand we've been poor v Luton, Arsenal and Chelsea.

There is some mitigation. Pope's injury fundamentally alters our defensive shape, while we miss Joelinton's physicality and athleticism in the middle. Even then we're just a bit of a soft touch, far too easy to play through. We've lost the resilience and awkwardness of last season.

Some of it is definitely tactical, we're simply not able to physically press like we were last year, we tend to play out better stuff with a deeper midfield, hitting teams on the counter. I do also wonder if a bit of mental fatigue is taking its toll. Burn spoke in October about how it'd already felt like a full season, while Schar and Isak have spoken about what a long season it's been.

It's hard to nail down and while I think we're slowly turning it round, we still lack defensive consistency.

Edited by The Prophet

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

We're currently a bit hit and miss. Since the turn of the year we've turned in some decent performances including City, Villa and Wolves. On the other hand we've been poor v Luton, Arsenal and Chelsea.

There is some mitigation. Pope's injury fundamentally alters our defensive shape, while we miss Joelinton's physicality and athleticism in the middle. Even then we're just a bit of a soft touch, far too easy to play through. We've lost the resilience and awkwardness of last season.

Some of it is definitely tactical, we're simply not able to physically press like we were last year, we tend to play out better stuff with a deeper midfield, hitting teams on the counter. I do also wonder if a bit of mental fatigue is taking its toll. Burn spoke in October about how it'd already felt like a full season, while Schar and Isak have spoken about what a long season it's been.

It's hard to nail down and while I think we're slowly turning it round, we still lack defensive consistency.

You thought we were decent against City? I remember Isak and Gordon scoring 2 wonder goals and City being totally dominant the rest of the match, but couldnt get the goals until De Bruyne came on.

And that list of bad performances is just a little teaser of the full list(which I definitely would include City on).

Edited by Displayname

21 minutes ago, Displayname said:

You thought we were decent against City? I remember Isak and Gordon scoring 2 wonder goals and City being totally dominant the rest of the match, but couldnt get the goals until De Bruyne came on.

And that list of bad performances is just a little teaser of the full list(which I definitely would include City on).

There's a different debate to be had there, but it wasn't the point I was making.

There are clear and obvious mistakes being made. Burn is constantly targeted by the opposition as they know he's not going to do anything useful with regard to attack and is too slow physically and mentally to be effective against a competent opponent.

The opposition can see it, we can see it, hell even the Sky numpties can see it. Why doesn't EH? Its not like he doesn't have the option to change in that position with Targett, Livramento, Hall, and even Krath being able to play there.

Only reason I can think is that EH thinks Burn is one of the leaders given that he was Captain vs Chelsea. He has been useful in the past but is clearly not the answer to the question everyone but EH has been asked

2 hours ago, Displayname said:

Im not mad because we lost away to Chelsea away, Im mad because we play like shit. Like I said, its not the results.

Injuries and fatigue of players is a partial explaination and maybe the trigger,  but I think he handled the period very poorly not giving players time to recover. I think its foolish to dismiss the idea of giving youngsters oppurtunities when our main players clearly were totally knackered from 60-70mins every single game. And like you said he should have rotated players earlier on in the season, but also filled the squad up with players he could actually trust in situations like these and not let them just rot on the bench (Hall/Dummett/Richie) if he had plans to compete in all cups(which I think was a bad idea in our first CL campaign in decades).

And the bad form has just continued after getting players back and with a less demanding schedule. So personally I think the main explaination is fatigue in Howe himself and him lacking confidence and conviction after we got fucked against PSG. I could see it in him that it really fucking hurt.

Was maybe harsh to quote you, as I for the most part agree with what you're saying, with the exception of the bit I put in bold. Didn't mean you specifically lashing out because we lost to Chelsea either, but others on here. I can understand that you're mad at the performances, I'm not happy either, but it helps to put it in context for me at least. What is realistic to expect out of the squad that has been available, who haven't been able to be rotated/rested properly? I think, looking back, that the general expectations taking our injury/fatigue problems into account has been way too high.