Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

14 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Quite surprised at the percentage of pundits saying he will and probably should be sacked. 

Who besides Keys? His comments have fueled a lot of content.

5 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

Injuries has a massive impact in December no doubt about it but it's getting harder and harder to use the injury excuse now though , performances against the likes of Luton and Bournemouth at home , as well as Blackburn away have been shambolic an that was against teams where we had a much better starting line up than they did . Even against Chelsea the other night , they were poor but we were just even worse and that's wasn't really anything to do with injuries .

Such a simplistic way to look at it. Injuries aren't an excuse btw, it's the single most significant reason for our poor form.

Expecting key players coming back from long injuries to just seamlessly slot into the team as if they were in top form?

The knock on effect on players who's had to pick up a ton more minutes than they normally would because of injuries aren't expected to feel any fatigue anymore because they had a bit longer to rest/train between games?

Mental fatigue not even being considered?

Injuries has had a massive impact since November up until now, and probably will for the rest of the season. I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel before Chelsea, but then Barnes got injured before a ball had been kicked (or, apparently, felt a "tightness" as he came on against Wolves), and our player of the season went off with something that looked long term after 30 minutes. Now we have two right wingers that will probably at minimum play all minutes for our next two games, maybe more. What if one of them gets injured? With Gordon out we don't even have our makeshift 3rd striker as cover for Isak while Wilson is still out. What if Isaks body breaks down again? Not entirely beyond the realms of possibility.

That sounded very doom and gloom. I still think we'll have a decent end to the season, but that will be more down to Howe rather than the quality of the team we'll be able to field. Back to 2 keepers on the bench agains Man City? Harder and harder to use the injury excuse :lol:

Edited by Conjo

24 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Quite surprised at the percentage of pundits saying he will and probably should be sacked. 

They want him to take the England job after Southgate.

9 hours ago, Paully said:

https://theathletic.com/5332174/2024/03/12/michael-edwards-liverpool-fsg-profile/

I never knew about this – I’m certain they’ll go for an elite manager when Klopp goes but you never know especially with Hughes coming as sporting director from Bournemouth

After everything that has happened since Klopp arrived on Merseyside, it can feel like a trick of the imagination that Liverpool gave serious consideration to hiring Eddie Howe rather than the man who, eight and a half years later, counts as Anfield royalty.

Howe was on a three-man shortlist with Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti for the manager’s position and it was part of Edwards’ job, then as Liverpool’s technical director, to determine who had the outstanding credentials to replace Brendan Rodgers.

Ancelotti passed all the criteria in terms of his record in the Champions League and the statistics relating to his teams at Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea and Real Madrid, but his transfer record counted against him because the system devised by Edwards and Liverpool’s analysts deliberately placed less emphasis on a manager’s recruitment in his first year.

Their theory was that a manager might not have the ultimate say when it came to transfer business during his first season but, in years two, three, four and five, that manager’s influence would be greater and signings would not happen without his input.

A lot of Ancelotti’s recruits were deemed to be on the older side and that jarred with Liverpool’s thinking. Edwards wanted players aged 26 or under who were approaching their peak years and would still have a re-sale value three or four years later.

Howe, now at Newcastle United, was managing Bournemouth and had a reputation for developing younger players and playing attractive football.

He had also been a player at Portsmouth when Edwards was starting out at the south coast club. Their friendship, however, never came into it. Howe did not have the experience of competing in the Champions League, whereas Klopp ticked every box in terms of achievement, transfer business and playing style. Edwards made his recommendation to FSG and left them to get on with the business of making it happen.

I have no doubt that if we drop the ball with Howe he will end up somewhere decent and make complete fools of us by doing very well. In fact I'm almost certain it's going to happen.

There's just this delusional and entitled vibe around the place at the minute that I think is only going to lead to bad things for the club, if the owners buy into it.

We'll soon see.

4 hours ago, OverThere said:

Sh$t stirrers will sh$t stir!

Weird censorship aside a lot of people are gasping for him to fail and NUFC to disband.

20 hours ago, The Prophet said:

The midfield has left us defensively exposed too. Longstaff has been in poor form since returning from injury, Miley is inexperienced and Bruno on his own lacks the athleticism to compensate for the other two.

Oh My God Reaction GIF

14 hours ago, Lotus said:

EH must be absolutely shattered. For his mental health I hope there is no downward pressure on league position this year and he can concentrate on performances with a view to next year.

Feels like he’s had to spend far too much of this season choosing between bad and worse. Must be incredibly taxing.

I understand how it helps our profile having some form of European football regularly. Will help recruitment imo. Players will become used to seeing the club playing against continental teams. I’m sure that will help. But this year just feels like a write off. If they believe he is our SAF then have to give him a bye this season after everything.

If they have doubts though or all the board are not aligned there’s gonna be a weird atmosphere at the club.

It’s also advent bump in revenue. £15m for winning the conference league and an extra 6-7 home game receipts. So call it £20-25m. Then the impact on commercial deals and any performance based incentives. 

Thats the difference between needing to sell a useful player and not. Or a new signing. 

I think for the whole mood of the club we need to finish the season strongly.  

40 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s also advent bump in revenue. £15m for winning the conference league and an extra 6-7 home game receipts. So call it £20-25m. Then the impact on commercial deals and any performance based incentives. 

Thats the difference between needing to sell a useful player and not. Or a new signing. 

I think for the whole mood of the club we need to finish the season strongly.  

It's true but are we capable? Shipping 3 goals a game isn't going to get anything done. Whatever he tries the problems seem to remain. Here's hoping he can figure out why this keeps on happening.

49 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

:lol:

Don't get me wrong, I love Bruno and he's comfortably one of our best players.

I actually completely agree. I remember when he first started playing and those of us who suggested this were labelled as haterz.

Bruno works his arse off but he’s not the quickest. Mad that it was ever controversial. He’s also not the strongest but he uses his body as well as anyone IMO. I’ve never seen anyone as good at using their body position to win free kicks. I wish Longstaff would stop trying to copy it [emoji38]

Yeah, they’re diametrical opposites on that ability. Bruno is probably just about the best at shielding the ball, getting his body in the way and either winning a tackle or, he’s extremely good at getting a pass off when he’s unbalanced or not able to set himself. 

Longstaff relies on the failed flop anytime someone exerts pressure on him and he hasn’t had time to shield the ball. He’s also particularly poor at getting a pass off when the pressure increases, he invariably snatches at a pass and loses possession 

8 hours ago, Disco said:

Weird censorship aside a lot of people are gasping for him to fail and NUFC to disband.

Yeah, this. Many so-called neutrals, inside and outside the media, want us to fail. It’s nothing against Eddie. It’s the all too human desire to feel better by laughing at someone continuing to fall flat on their face. Over the years, we’ve provided others with much entertainment of that nature, and they don’t want it to stop. They must dread the huge celebrations that will follow should we eventually win something.

There’s also the issue of Geordies being slightly separate in identity from the rest of England. Bit like the Scousers, though of course they have years of success behind them.

It’s all got a bit weird. The pundits acknowledge the problems Eddie has had this season, and then proceed to talk like they don’t exist. At times, it sounds like they’re trying to persuade the owners to sack him.

Edited by Cronky

Say he left in the summer. Where do people think he would end up next? Just assuming every job was available to him.

West Ham would be in for him for sure. Maybe Chelsea. Brighton potentially.

I think he's a season away from being recognised as more of a top top manager.

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Say he left in the summer. Where do people think he would end up next? Just assuming every job was available to him.

Potentially Liverpool.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Potentially Liverpool.

The same reason he was disregarded last time is still true. He has no experience of managing in Europe successfully.

If they couldn't land Alonso they would consider Howe probably. But then go for a Nagelsmann type or someone with more experience at the highest level.

42 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

England. Might work out best for all parties if we have very poor end to the season.

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The same reason he was disregarded last time is still true. He has no experience of managing in Europe successfully.

If they couldn't land Alonso they would consider Howe probably. But then go for a Nagelsmann type or someone with more experience at the highest level.

Very fair points, granted Alonso is also inexperienced in that regard.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Very fair points, granted Alonso is also inexperienced in that regard.

Got to the semi's of the Europa last year and qualified for the Europa again.

In the Europa last 16 again with Bayer top of the Bundesliga and undefeated this season.

Being a club legend and an overall football legend also helps Alonso.

Totally unrelated. In terms of top players turned top coaches over recent years - how we would we rank them as players?

Criteria is winning a top 5 league as a player and a manager.

Zidane. Alonso. Then it gets hard. I don't remember Pep as a player much but I know he was top. He's younger than Simeone or Deschamps but I remember those two more. Too young for Carlo but his honours list is impressive.

I don’t think Eddie would get a job with the big six yet. Those owners probably need the reassurance of past trophies. I think there’s also a prejudice that British bosses are glorified Mike Bassetts whereas foreign managers are insightful, scientific professorial types like Arsene Wenger. We nearly didn’t employ Eddie ourselves of course.

When we lost to Villa last season and to Liverpool at home this season, the view that was expressed on here quite a few times was that Eddie had been outsmarted tactically. Well by the same token, Eddie has outsmarted quite a few big names over the last two years.

Long may he go under their radars, say I.

11 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I don’t think Eddie would get a job with the big six yet. Those owners probably need the reassurance of past trophies. I think there’s also a prejudice that British bosses are glorified Mike Bassetts whereas foreign managers are insightful, scientific professorial types like Arsene Wenger. We nearly didn’t employ Eddie ourselves of course.

When we lost to Villa last season and to Liverpool at home this season, the view that was expressed on here quite a few times was that Eddie had been outsmarted tactically. Well by the same token, Eddie has outsmarted quite a few big names over the last two years.

Long may he go under their radars, say I.

I love Eddie but he’s far too one dimensional tactically for a job bigger than ours. We’re an excellent fit for him and vice versa.

I'm interested to see, tactically, what Howe's end goal is. 

Last season we were an aggressive, high pressing team, with a lot of similarities similar to early Klopp-era Liverpool. But Howe mentioned on a couple of occasions, wanting to become a more possession based outfit.

We saw signs of change in the early season. The press was a less aggressive, we were crisper with the ball and not going long as often.

Since then the first team has been riddled with injuries. We've lost a keeper who gives us confidence to push aggressively up the pitch, along with one of our ball playing centre backs, while our most common midfield of Miley, Longstaff and Bruno is neither (as a collective) effective at pressing or comfortable on the ball.

It appears Howe has tried multiple variations of the 4-3-3. We've had Trippier coming central, Schar pushing into midfield, Longstaff and Miley as a double pivot, Bruno playing deeper, a man for man midfield and a counter attacking style, but none of it has really stuck. Howe has struggled to get the best out of his limited options.

It can and does happen to the best of managers too. Klopp struggled to get a tune out of Liverpool's midfield for the entirety of last season, until they bought Gakpo and used him as a false nine. I just hope like Klopp has, Howe learns from this experience and makes the appropriate adjustments moving forward.

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Got to the semi's of the Europa last year and qualified for the Europa again.

In the Europa last 16 again with Bayer top of the Bundesliga and undefeated this season.

Being a club legend and an overall football legend also helps Alonso.

Totally unrelated. In terms of top players turned top coaches over recent years - how we would we rank them as players?

Criteria is winning a top 5 league as a player and a manager.

Zidane. Alonso. Then it gets hard. I don't remember Pep as a player much but I know he was top. He's younger than Simeone or Deschamps but I remember those two more. Too young for Carlo but his honours list is impressive.

Roberto Mancini was a superb centre forward - top rank

Antonio Conte was one of Europe’s finest midfielders in his pomp

Luis Enrique was excellent for Real and Barcelona as a player

In his prime, Laurent Blanc was one of the world’s best centre backs