Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

I don’t think we win that with many other managers at the helm. Hats off Eddie. Absolutely class! 

But I also don’t think we have the 5th worst defensive record in the league, only behind West Ham and the 3 relegation teams, with many other managers at the helm. 
His defensive management all season has been shocking! He never learns, never changes it and makes himself look foolish when players he won’t start come on and look great. That is where the criticism of him is 100% warranted. It will ultimately be his downfall as Newcastle manager, if anything is. You never win anything shipping 3+ goals a game, and our owners want to win.

Eddie Howe deserves praise, but he also deserves criticism. If you can’t deal with that reality without throwing knicker-wetting fits, fuck off somewhere else. 

:clap:

47 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I’m sad to highlight it, but the goalkeeping situation has magnified this many fold. I’m convinced we have the worst starting keeping in the league by some margin as Dubs has regressed. It’s like starting every game on -2 goals.

But should we have to rely on the keeper when we’ve spent over £100m on the defence (around £60m on Tino and hall, £15m on burn then botman on top of that)? I haven’t even included tripps in that either. Luton or any other team down there would strongly disagree with your theory on how we’re starting games handicapped at the back.

9 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

He didn't correct it though did he? Injuries forced his hand.

Yeah he did. Hauled off Krafth and changed things up in attack at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

But should we have to rely on the keeper when we’ve spent over £100m on the defence (around £60m on Tino and hall, £15m on burn then botman on top of that)? I haven’t even included tripps in that either. Luton or any other team down there would strongly disagree with your theory on how we’re starting games handicapped at the back.

Every team relies on their keeper, that’s why Liverpool and Man City have the best 2 keepers in the league and Arsenal have upgraded Ramsdale this season.

Every top team has a top keeper. We’d have won in 96 if we had one.

As for the money spent, it doesn’t go far these days if you analyse player transfers since 2022. This isn’t Chelsea and City buying the league.

2 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Every team relies on their keeper, that’s why Liverpool and Man City have the best 2 keepers in the league and Arsenal have upgraded Ramsdale this season.

Every top team has a top keeper. We’d have won in 96 if we had one.

As for the money spent, it doesn’t go far these days if you analyse player transfers since 2022. This isn’t Chelsea and City buying the league.

I’m comparing to Luton and Forest where you’re comparing to Man City and Liverpool. We probably need to agree to meet somewhere in the middle :D

Just now, Gawalls said:

I’m comparing to Luton and Forest where you’re comparing to Man City and Liverpool. We probably need to agree to meet somewhere in the middle :D

👍 Agreed

14 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

For me, that middle ground is that Dubravka is a decent enough PL keeper, but just not for the way we play.

Many teams would be ok with him, but we play a really high line and he plays with his boots nailed to the goal line. Any balls in behind us, and we're fucked.

He'd be fine for a lot of teams, and indeed was for us in the past. Just not for us now, with the way we play.

Krafth wasn’t injured but I don’t know what subs were planned and what was forced, as I don’t think he would have brought Tino and Krafth off at the same time if Tino wasn’t injured. It was as if some of the subs were already planned and then Tino being injured added to it.

I don’t think Krafth was that bad today by the way, it was that Howe bringing him on meant that there was a complete shift around at the back apart from Schar, which was when we got caught out, rather than bringing Hall on and shifting Burn inside. That situation I put down to Howe not wanting 2 attack minded fullbacks on the pitch at the same time, which is something he tries to avoid unless we have no other options or have hit the shit or bust button.

6 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

For me, that middle ground is that Dubravka is a decent enough PL keeper, but just not for the way we play.

Many teams would be ok with him, but we play a really high line and he plays with his boots nailed to the goal line. Any balls in behind us, and we're fucked.

He'd be fine for a lot of teams, and indeed was for us in the past. Just not for us now, with the way we play.

This vulnerable "high line" goal has nothing to do with the keeper. This is probably most on Howe, but early sub clearly doesn't help. 

image.thumb.png.7fe5422eb1b8a8cbe8696b3566cad6f3.png

Edited by Jagten

Problem with Dubravka is that he clearly has no idea when to rush out. The few times he has done it is has been a mess. He isn't going to get better at it anymore, but how the coaches just dont tell him to stand on the edge of box when we have a high line surprises me. He is just too deep all the time

1 hour ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

He didn't correct it though did he? Injuries forced his hand.

It was more the result and him not doing anything right that forced his hand.

Totally missed this game. Had no idea what was going on until I switched on to see Barnes celebrating the winner :lol: Could someone link me up for a replay of it?

Saw Eddie's post match interview. He still believes we can get CL. He should be right to still privately target that, as unlikely as that felt after the Chelsea game.

From snatches I've seen, the players had the best energy levels I've seen in quite a while. And they're determined to fight for themselves and their manager. That might be the difference in saving his job, you can't sleep on how valuable that is - it's a credit to him.

Can he manage a Klopp-esque run to the end of the season? I don't know. I certainly didn't feel like it after Chelsea. I'm not claiming credit for predicting anything, but driving through these kinds of scenarios is what separates great managers from the rest.

6 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

yellow card for Eddie. Missed that in the carnage [emoji38]

IMG_1611.thumb.png.b53c2dec6c6a6d0b0c5226e6aa7989a7.png

Would love to see what he got it for. The cameras totally missed it.

Didn't see the game but I thought we were outstanding last half hour. Howe didn't get it right at first but got it right in the end. Cannot wait to see it on MotD for the first time.

Edited by Heron

It wasn't as bad a performance at 3-1 as some are making out, It was flat, but Bruno hit the bar at 1-1 so it's not like we got blown away. Conceding 2 sloppy goals either side of half time was a frustration, but immensely proud of the players for not wilting and giving up. I love this team and I love Eddie Howe. Fucking get in 

13 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Always bemused by a 'didn't see the game but here"s my 10 bobsworth "

What did I say that couldn't be taken in from the last 10 minutes plus highlights? Make sure you let me know.