Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

20 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

It wasn't as bad a performance at 3-1 as some are making out, It was flat, but Bruno hit the bar at 1-1 so it's not like we got blown away. Conceding 2 sloppy goals either side of half time was a frustration, but immensely proud of the players for not wilting and giving up. I love this team and I love Eddie Howe. Fucking get in 

But that was the key though, after a 2 week break, home game, wanting a response, that we were flat for large majority of that game making mistakes, looking slow in our fitness and terrible with the ball.

Credit to the players and changes that shifted things all towards us, coupled with Moyes making the opposite negative changes, but the 3-1 was alarming in how West Ham didn’t need to be anything more than 6/10 to be 3-1 up away.

Edited by Sibierski

Found his decision to bring on Krafth for Lascelles really odd. Completely shuffled the back 4 and meant Tino was then out of position, as well. He always looks far better on the right and was actually poor on the left, I thought. 

Hall seemed such an obvious decision and would only have meant one position change. 

The insistence to persist with the high line, with an immobile, half fit midfield in front of them and a keeper rooted to his line behind them. Seems odd to say the least.

The injury, recovery and return situation seems like it needs a full review at the end of the season. As it’s beyond a joke and bad luck now. 

All that said. These players are still playing for him 100% and the fans still seem on board, in the ground at least. Feared it might have turned a bit toxic after their third. 

Really don’t know how to feel. Love him to bits and he has been dealt a shit hand this season. But at the same time, he hasn’t played his cards right a lot of the time. Good that we’ve not folded, though.*

*sorry for the shit card related cliches. Wasn’t planned at first :lol: 

Dubravka was let go to man utd and is only there because of injuries. Dont see him being 1 of our 2 keepers next year.kudus from west ham would be top of my wish list for best year

Edited by splinter

14 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

But that was the key though, after a 2 week break, home game, wanting a response, that we were flat for large majority of that game making mistakes, looking slow in our fitness and terrible with the ball.

Credit to the players and changes that shifted things all towards us, coupled with Moyes making the opposite negative changes, but the 3-1 was alarming in how West Ham didn’t need to be anything more than 6/10 to be 3-1 up away.

End of the day it was two average teams livened up by a couple of excellent players on either side 

33 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

It wasn't as bad a performance at 3-1 as some are making out, It was flat, but Bruno hit the bar at 1-1 so it's not like we got blown away. Conceding 2 sloppy goals either side of half time was a frustration, but immensely proud of the players for not wilting and giving up. I love this team and I love Eddie Howe. Fucking get in 

It wasnt a good performance, but what pushed the negativity over the edge i think was that we got 3 injured players to top it off. 

Also subbing in Krafth instead of Hall looked really bad in hindsight.

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

Found his decision to bring on Krafth for Lascelles really odd. Completely shuffled the back 4 and meant Tino was then out of position, as well. He always looks far better on the right and was actually poor on the left, I thought. 

Hall seemed such an obvious decision and would only have meant one position change. 

The insistence to persist with the high line, with an immobile, half fit midfield in front of them and a keeper rooted to his line behind them. Seems odd to say the least.

The injury, recovery and return situation seems like it needs a full review at the end of the season. As it’s beyond a joke and bad luck now. 

All that said. These players are still playing for him 100% and the fans still seem on board, in the ground at least. Feared it might have turned a bit toxic after their third. 

Really don’t know how to feel. Love him to bits and he has been dealt a shit hand this season. But at the same time, he hasn’t played his cards right a lot of the time. Good that we’ve not folded, though.*

*sorry for the shit card related cliches. Wasn’t planned at first :lol: 

I was thinking about this after the game - would the fanbase take another Keegan-esque era? Exciting games like that, loads of goals but never winning anything because of defensive nativity. For me, that feels like how it will go under Howe. (For those that point out our defensive solidity last season, that is feeling more like a fluke than by design as every week goes by. Also see the rest of Howe’s PL career).

Or would they rather we won something but perhaps did it in a slightly more conservative way? 

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I was thinking about this after the game - would the fanbase take another Keegan-esque era? Exciting games like that, loads of goals but never winning anything because of defensive nativity. For me, that feels like how it will go under Howe. (For those that point out our defensive solidity last season, that is feeling more like a fluke than by design as every week goes by. Also see the rest of Howe’s PL career).

Or would they rather we won something but perhaps did it in a slightly more conservative way? 

Hell yeah i would take another Keegan era, what made me a fan in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Howe probably needs more than a few gems mixed with average and decent players until we can conclude that he is incapable of winning anything, especially given the cabal at the top of the PL.

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

Howe probably needs more than a few gems mixed with average and decent players until we can conclude that he is incapable of winning anything, especially given the cabal at the top of the PL.

You don’t have to conclude anything. This is just my view. I feel like I’ve seen enough to make a judgement but I’ll happily eat humble pie if I’m wrong.

2 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I loved the Keegan era and for me, Sir Bobby’s time was just as magical but I’m ready for us to win something now. Ashley robbed me of 13 years, I’m now 45 and I’ve seen us win fuck all. 
I’d love Eddie to be the guy to end the drought but I just don’t see it happening. 

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

I loved the Keegan era and for me, Sir Bobby’s time was just as magical but I’m ready for us to win something now. Ashley robbed me of 13 years, I’m now 45 and I’ve seen us win fuck all. 
I’d love Eddie to be the guy to end the drought but I just don’t see it happening. 

a cup final and another decent set of cup runs with this team suggest that he may not be that far off.

3 hours ago, Shak said:

Feel like if you didn't enjoy that game then you might have lost the plot a bit in terms of why you're a football fan.

Absolutely. Being rubbish for a big period if not most of the game is a feature of these games. We had the recent example of Man United the other week, most of that game they were flat and rubbish, most of the Arsenal 4-4, Leicester 5-4 and 4-3 comebacks we were - its what made them what they were that it came from nowhere.

Some people seem to only be able to handle City-esque 3-0 cruises.

3 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Sliding doors moment for Eddie Howe today at 1-3 down - as someone said in match thread.

Fucking hell- I need a lie down!

It really was. I said early in the week that we'd need to score 3 to win this one because I knew we'd concede, but at 3-1 down I was basically chucking in the season. The way we play with a high intensity press needs a back four with pace, and preferably CMs who are pretty athletic too. We are a mess defensively, but with the right personnel we could fix that.

One thing which was really heartening though was how we never chucked in the towel. If anything we got stronger as players kept dropping like flies and replaced with subs. It says a lot about the team spirit in our squad, and whatever you might think about our tactics, you have to give Howe credit for that. This team gives everything for him and that's not all that common in professional football.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Its not like Keegan wasnt anywhere near winning something though. 

Ironically, as much as I love Howe I'd absolutely welcome a return to not conceding for game after game after game and winning -nil each week like we did last season for a long spell. Fortiter defendit triumphans and all that. Howe-ever not sure that's something that will return under Wor Eddie.

Will settle for 4-3s and winning the European Conference next year though. Won't you all? ;)

Edited by Heron

3 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

a cup final and another decent set of cup runs with this team suggest that he may not be that far off.

We’ve been in cup finals before. I was at university ffs! 😀

To be fair, it never felt like we had a chance back then and I’d feel a bit more confident we could compete now, but winning? I’m not confident 

Just now, Holmesy said:

We’ve been in cup finals before. I was at university ffs! 😀

To be fair, it never felt like we had a chance back then and I’d feel a bit more confident we could compete now, but winning? I’m not confident 

last one before last year was 1999 though. Not exactly a normal occurrence. Howe certainly has left himself open for a bit of criticism in the PL, but we've acquitted oursleves quite well for the most part under him in the Cups.

6 hours ago, Menace said:

Kaka's endless happy clapping is just as irritating as the doomers to be honest.

[emoji38]

I just know how good Eddie is and what he is going to continue to grow into.

Nit picking over every mistake he makes is completely pointless. Too many of you can't see the bigger picture.

Give it time man. You'll soon see.

5 hours ago, Displayname said:

Also subbing in Krafth instead of Hall looked really bad in hindsight

Hindsight?

It looked pretty fucking stupid at the time.

42 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Celebrating. 

In his position he should know better than to take his shirt off.