Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

It’s a possibility even though highly remote I’d say. They’ll review the season and probably come to the same conclusions most of us agree on.

I don’t think there’s one supporter who doesn’t like him. We all want him to succeed. The board will be the same. He represents the club very well and has mostly managed well and disarmed the uncomfortable questions that were a mainstay at the beginning.

His style of play (when we’re playing well) is something everyone can be on board with.

This style provides risk though, we will probably always have a big injury list until we have a squad similar to the top clubs where we can rotate without diminishing our chances of winning matches.

Consistency needs to improve but this is probably down to managing injuries and being more tactically diverse. We’ve shown some signs of that recently but still a lot of room to improve on.

I believe he’ll get next season and will be judged on results with a stronger squad, how he gets on up against the top clubs.

I think there’s a chance there. Liverpool and possibly Man Utd will be in a transitional phase, Spurs don’t seem to be able to maintain a good run, Chelsea will be in the top 4 next season. Arsenal will maintain their challenger status regardless of what happens this season, as will City. Villa will run into similar bother that we did this season, let’s see how they cope.

So there’s a chance, a strong chance for top 4 next season. If we don’t make that I think the club will then make a change.

Which is reasonable I think.

Not sure what you mean by ‘he’ll get next season’. As in, someone who has proven to be brilliant at their job is allowed to continue doing that job? 

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not sure what you mean by ‘he’ll get next season’. As in, someone who has proven to be brilliant at their job is allowed to continue doing that job? 

I think I explained it pretty well.

They will expect a season of better managed injuries. We’ll have an improved squad and I the target will be top 4.

Not getting that and I’m guessing the owners will have a decision to make as much as they probably don’t want to.

1 minute ago, The Fountain said:

When Klopp and Moyes go Eddie will be the 12th longest serving manager out of the 92 clubs.

Jesus christ. 

Posted (edited)

Nothing but impressed with him handling this difficult season. He certainly wasn't perfect, and has a number of lessons to learn, but it really is an amazing achievement to be where we are with 3 games to play.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’ll watch owt where Howe talks - he’s always worth a listen - but I also quite like Gary Neville.  Not sure if that’s an unpopular opinion but I quite like the bloke 

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ll watch owt where Howe talks - he’s always worth a listen - but I also quite like Gary Neville.  Not sure if that’s an unpopular opinion but I quite like the bloke 

You’re not alone [emoji38]

16 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:
27 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You’re not alone [emoji38]

I don't mind Neville. I disagree with him quite a lot but I like his podcasts and think he's actually a canny interviewer.

I'd probably find myself irritated by him less if modern football broadcasting hadn't abandoned the concept of neutrality. He's basically Sky's Man Utd correspondent, among his peers who speak for other clubs and tend to be equally irritating in that context. 

But when you line up the army of football commentators (meant in the broadest sense) his voice always tends to feel like one of the most bona-fide ones. 

Hope it's better than the interview with that rampant narcissist Jake Humphrey. The "High Performance" nonce.

53 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I like his podcasts and when he was on dragons den

Does me head in when he's on commentary though

Posted (edited)

Eddie, of course, spoke superbly.

There's not really anything new though.

It's quite interesting watching the dynamics between two people. Eddie comes across quite intimidating IMO, not in a physical way but on a intellectual level. The perception of him is the soft spoken, mild mannered, middle class coach but I think that's entirely wrong. For me he has don't fuck with me school teacher vibes.

Edited by STM

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Eddie, of course, spoke superbly.

There's not really anything new though.

It's quite interesting watching the dynamics between two people. Eddie comes across quite intimidating IMO, not in a physical way but on a intellectual level. The perception of him is the soft spoken, mild mannered, middle class coach but I think that's entirely wrong. For me he has don't fuck with me school teacher vibes.

Yeah, that's something i noticed. 

Alongside his intelligence, there's a steeliness and a quiet intensity that i could definitely see making some players stop and think before shouting their mouth off. 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I don't mind Neville. I disagree with him quite a lot but I like his podcasts and think he's actually a canny interviewer.

I'd probably find myself irritated by him less if modern football broadcasting hadn't abandoned the concept of neutrality. He's basically Sky's Man Utd correspondent, among his peers who speak for other clubs and tend to be equally irritating in that context. 

But when you line up the army of football commentators (meant in the broadest sense) his voice always tends to feel like one of the most bona-fide ones. 

Perfectly sums up my position mate.  Completely agree

2 hours ago, Sima said:

Hope it's better than the interview with that rampant narcissist Jake Humphrey. The "High Performance" nonce.

Yep, I tried to watch a few of his podcasts and both him and the other guy come across as so arrogant and self centered, i.e. looking to showcase themselves rather than the interviewee...

Maybe it's because I listen to a lot of Eddie, a lot more than Neville but I didn't learn much new.

There isn't a mass media figure that would give Eddie the type if interview I would like. Maybe the guy on Sky as he has his nose attuned to what's going on.

Like I found the ASM bit a bit grating. Eddie's answered that question before - his public line is that he loved ASM and he was only sold for FFP reasons. Neville is behind on all of this. Likewise in thinking we would come in and splurge on stupid signings - from the first window it was obvious that was not the plan.

Good enough interview though. But my biggest gripe with Neville is that he's away from the game at large. A lot of his talk is just based on cliches and narratives he's made-up in his head (some of which might be true) but it's not supported by hard evidence or the actual footballing landscape. For all that he's grating, Jamie Carragher actually does much better homework.

As others have said there isn't anything new in that but I absolutely loved watching it, I could spend hours watching him talk

What shines through as always is his dedication and I'm just so bloody chuffed he's our manager