Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

The issues with our defence have mostly stemmed from the midfield missing our best presser and ball winner as well as missing our sweeper keeper.

This idea that the solution is simply chopping and changing people in the backline due to individual errors is awful.

Is this a problem of personnel, or is it the system? 

image.thumb.png.9fee3ad9bdb2c05ff0faa83161400e7e.png

Our best 2 defenders were out yesterday. Our 3rd best defender is clearly struggling with form. Our 5th best defender went off yesterday with an ACL injury.

Our best goalkeeper (by a country mile) has a dislocated shoulder. Our 2nd and 3rd best midfielders have been missing most of the season.

our 2 strikers have been either missing or playing injured all season.

Our best goal threat from the wings has been missing most of the season.

I could mention Willock and Anderson, but it’s the same point.

Howe out, obviously 

Just now, Jagten said:

Bowen running right through the pitch unopposed is a basic system-issue and one that is so easily fixed. We’ve been undone like that so many times from our own set pieces this season. We should just give the opposition the ball back instead of taking corners. Just boot in out of play and get back in shape.

Just now, gbandit said:

It’s a problem of a back line that’s changed multiple times in a game, with players not used to playing alongside their counterparts 

What about the other 10 or so games where there weren’t multiple changes? 

Just now, Holmesy said:

What about the other 10 or so games where there weren’t multiple changes? 

Longstaff being absolutely dogshit is the main problem. Replace him with Tonali and we’re fine.

27 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

You are missing the point too, as nobody is saying that you should still be as good when your better players are out.

Where he is tactically limited is where we set up with having a goalkeeper that sweeps up in Pope, meaning we can get away with a higher line, yet when Pope is out and replaced with a keeper that isn’t comfortable sweeping up, we still play with the high line and are done with long balls constantly.

Ok, so that's Dubravka he has to compensate for, what about Trippiers playmaking skills? What about Joelinton's robustness and physicality in the middle? What about Wilsons hold up play? What about Isak's link up play? What about Willocks driving runs? What about Botman's anticipation and reading of the game?

What tactic compensates for all that? Because that's the task at hand and according to some there's a tactic that would negate all that.

Edited by Thumbheed

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Bowen running right through the pitch unopposed is a basic system-issue and one that is so easily fixed.

Man, maybe we should replace Howe with you. 

5 minutes ago, huss9 said:

so do you want him sacked?

or do you keep him on and hope he'll learn. genuine question.

I think the club should put the feelers out through an intermediary to see who is available and would be interested in joining in the summer.

If we can’t attract a manager of quality then I would stick with him and hope he learns, although if we do stick with him then we need to be prepared to give him the whole of next season, rather than moving him on in November if next season starts like this one is going.

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Ok, so that's Dubravka he has to compensate for, what about Trippiers playmaking skills? What about Joelinton's robustness and physicality in the middle? What about Wilsons hold up play? What about Isak's link up play? What about Willocks driving runs? What about Botman's anticipation and reading of the game?

What tactic compensates for all that? Because that's the task at hand. 

Sorry mate, didn't you read Holmesy's post? It's all really easily fixed. 

Poor,stupid Eddie. It's inspiring he's made it this far with such obvious intellectual challenges.

4 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

What tactic compensates for all that? Because that's the task at hand. 

You are actually proving my point with this post, in that if a player is missing who has a particular skill set you play towards and the back up player doesn’t share that skill set, then you cannot keep playing the same tactics and hope they work.

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

You are actually proving my point with this post, in that if a player is missing who has a particular skill set you play towards and the back up player doesn’t share that skill set, then you cannot keep playing the same tactics and hope they work.

Stop trying to confuse him by talking sense

8 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I think the club should put the feelers out through an intermediary to see who is available and would be interested in joining in the summer.

If we can’t attract a manager of quality then I would stick with him and hope he learns, although if we do stick with him then we need to be prepared to give him the whole of next season, rather than moving him on in November if next season starts like this one is going.

Great thing to do with Europe still in sight. Do you guys actually deal with people in your jobs, or just work remotely? Because between a few of you, we have only heard nonsense solutions that could undermine the manager and staff at a crucial time.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

16 minutes ago, Jagten said:

Bit of both that one mind.

Bowen was standing next to Gordon a seconds before this :lol:

Gordon doesn't fall asleep and he gets to Bowen before Bowen is even close to the box....but also there shouldn't be that much of a gap from our own set pieces which is on Howe.

4 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Sorry mate, didn't you read Holmesy's post? It's all really easily fixed. 

Poor,stupid Eddie. It's inspiring he's made it this far with such obvious intellectual challenges.

Dude, have a look at that photo and tell me you can’t find a simple solution for a fucking opposition player running unopposed the entire length of the pitch from our own set piece. How’s about leave the full backs on the halfway line?

Fuck me, sometimes my tactical genius astounds even me! 

Tough one though! Had me stumped for a while

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Dude, have a look at that photo and tell me you can’t find a simple solution for a fucking opposition player running unopposed the entire length of the pitch from our own set piece. How’s about leave the full backs on the halfway line?

Fuck me, sometimes my tactical genius astounds even me! 

Tough one though! Had me stumped for a while

Must be nice to live in such a simple world where "see problem, enact solution" without having to consider any knock-on effects or interdependencies is an option. I can understand why you're so frustrated when you think football management is so basic, must be infuriating to see anything go against us when it's all so obvious.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

Must be nice to live in such a simple world where "see problem, enact solution" without having to consider any knock-on effects or interdependencies is an option. I can understand why you're so frustrated when you think football management is so basic, must be infuriating to see anything go against us when it's all so obvious.

It is, it’s very frustrating 

8 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Bit of both that one mind.

Bowen was standing next to Gordon a seconds before this :lol:

Gordon doesn't fall asleep and he gets to Bowen before Bowen is even close to the box....but also there shouldn't be that much of a gap from our own set pieces which is on Howe.

Personnel variability hurts you because players are less likely to know their role and pressing triggers, but Howe should be doing better. It’s not as if this sort of thing is a one-off. 

39 minutes ago, Jagten said:

Personnel. Glad I cleared that up.

17 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

It's absolutely staggering how many of our fans think they know better than Howe. He's one of the most knowledgeable football coaches I've ever heard speak.

I could understand it with frauds like Bruce, Pardew, Souness etc but not Howe. Howe has forgotten more about tactics, systems, training than most on here will ever know.

That's not to say he's immune from criticism, provided it's contextualised correctly. Funny how I don't hear those that are critical talk about him getting us into the champions league or having the best defence in the league last year or even suggest who they would replace him with, it's because their own arguements crumble before their eyes.

Training and tactical style that runs players into the ground leaving them susceptible to picking up serious injuries.

We have to physically work harder than any other team in the league to pick up wins.

A complete shambles at the back defensively, now magnified because we have only the duds left to play there for possibly the remainder of the season.

This isn’t just bad luck.. a manager in control of so much has to keep a grasp of this shit, adapt and ease off when needed. It’s blatantly obvious he hasn’t done that once this season with any member of the squad.

And by the way, the reason the defence is so exposed at the moment is because every other player in midfield and up front is basically fucked and can’t chip in effectively defensively. They’re just left wide open for 90 mins so of course they look shit. It’s nothing to do with formation.

43 minutes ago, STM said:

It's absolutely staggering how many of our fans think they know better than Howe. He's one of the most knowledgeable football coaches I've ever heard speak.

I could understand it with frauds like Bruce, Pardew, Souness etc but not Howe. Howe has forgotten more about tactics, systems, training than most on here will ever know.

That's not to say he's immune from criticism, provided it's contextualised correctly. Funny how I don't hear those that are critical talk about him getting us into the champions league or having the best defence in the league last year or even suggest who they would replace him with, it's because their own arguements crumble before their eyes.

Last season we had the best defence in the league, this season we have the 5th worst. Eddie’s PL record suggests this season is nearer to his norm than last fwiw. And I know, injuries (before you say it).

Honestly, belittling the knowledge of football supporters is such a cliched shit thing to do. We get enough of that from Parlour and other brain dead cunt pundits who think because you haven’t played the game you know nothing. Supporters know football. We see the game, we dissect the game, we fucking play the game and we understand it more than prick pundits and Joe bloggs on football forums give us credit for. 

If I say to that Almiron always cutting inside is really predictable and makes he easy to play against or Jacob Murphy’s decision making in the final third is mostly shocking, is that meaningless because I’m not Eddie Howe? Or is it true, even though I’m just a football fan who said it?

Look, Eddie is a fantastic manager and clearly an unbelievably talented coach but there are things he does that could be improved. He’s just a bloke doing a job at the end of the day. He’s great at certain bits of it and clearly need to improve in other areas, just like any other bloke doing a job. 

And like anything, when you’re deep in something, sometimes you can’t see the obvious. Just to highlight this, did you see the interview with Elon Musk in front of one his rockets, when a student asked him a question about something he himself hadn’t considered and he then implemented it?! I suggest you watch it. 

If you genuinely think the following is good management, let’s just agree to end this discussion:

- Dan Burn knows that regardless of how bad he plays, he will start every game. Every game!!

- Conversely, Tino knows that regardless of how well he plays and how badly Dan Burn plays, he will not start.

- Lewis Hall knows that it doesn’t matter what he does, he will not start. He could have the game of his life, make Maldini look like Paul Dummett and score a hat trick of worldies - makes no fucking difference to his situation at all

As I’ve said all along, I want him to stay but he’s left me with serious doubts this season. I’d hate to see him go before being given the chance to put it right though. 

and yes, I’m now pissed

Edited by Holmesy

1 hour ago, Jagten said:

I could pull up stills of Man City getting ran through similar to this earlier this season when Rodri was out. What is this supposed to prove exactly?