Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

He's absolutely class. Can't believe there are people questioning that he's anything but the right guy for us to build a long term project.

Imagine the ego of a Mourinho disrupting what we are building here.

I think a lot can be said for how he's handled the man management aspect of our transformation. Can't be easy managing a squad of players knowing that there's going to be steep and continuous investment. 

Players like Almiron, Schar, Longstaff, Wilson who could have had their starting place under real threat have responded brilliantly to his style.

Proud to have him as our gaffa! 

On 28/05/2024 at 08:54, TheBrownBottle said:

Spurs' finances are what make them a 'Big Six' club.  They've got the highest turnover of any London club.  Not to be sniffed at.  Their turnover is roughly double ours

Lowest wages to revenue in the league. They don’t invest anywhere near as much as the other. Which is why they don’t win. 

The advantage Spurs have is they can spend a lot year in year out to get into the CL. Then they’ll coast again. Levy doesn’t buy megastars in the main so the wages remain low. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

With quicker CBs do we close that gap?

that gap is a killer for us. 

4 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

That gap is a product of Dubravka.

Reasonable answer I guess.

With pope on the helm, I bets our CBs would be confident enough covered the gap.

Posted (edited)

Part of it is also an issue where our DM is also our best AM. Bruno basically plays both roles when he can.

Edited by Checko

Yeah Bruno wanting to be an 8 isn't a help.

We need to put a dedicated DM in there and unleash him. Pope in goal and faster DCs and we're absolutely golden IMO.

7 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Yeah Bruno wanting to be an 8 isn't a help.

We need to put a dedicated DM in there and unleash him. Pope in goal and faster DCs and we're absolutely golden IMO.

So with a dedicated DM to cover we go 442 ?

1 hour ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Sadly, that gap was also there prior to Pope's injury

Yeah. Before the injuries, "our midfield doesn't work" was the most frequent gripe. 

It might've sorted itself out with time, like, and did include a Sandro Tonali who looked like an imposter from Serie C by the time he exited the side. 

I guess the defence last year were playing *slightly* higher, and the goalkeeper a fraction higher too. But the midfield is no different, if anything LCM has dropped back.

On reflection it may be enough to have made a difference in some matches.

7 hours ago, HalloNUFC said:

Reasonable answer I guess.

With pope on the helm, I bets our CBs would be confident enough covered the gap.

The gap has always existed.  Villa exploited it when they beat us 3-0. Brighton exploited us when they beat us.  Many teams eat in those spaces. 

Posted (edited)

We've been too easy to play through for quite some time. Having a proper DM avaliable in the squad would be a massive asset to us. Find it baffling that we don't look to be in the market for one.

Edited by The Butcher

I mean I get what you’re trying to say but that gap existed when we finished 4th, and that gap existed when we finished 7th with a trillion injuries, where the majority of the season our partners for Bruno were Longstaff and Miley, Dubravka in net and our defense to end the season consisted of Krafth and Burn at CB. 

Right, some teams exposed it and beat us but more often than not we handled it and did what we needed to do within the campaign of the season. 

A DM would make a difference, the CBs pushing up more could make a difference but in order for the latter to happen we need more quality on the ball when we're in the opponents half and that to me comes down to having better CM's. 

10 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

A DM would make a difference, the CBs pushing up more could make a difference but in order for the latter to happen we need more quality on the ball when we're in the opponents half and that to me comes down to having better CM's. 

Given the balance of the side, I think Bruno's continued presence in that anchor role is essential.

I think we need an upgrade on Longstaff and/or Willock. Anderson may prove to be better than either, but I'm still not sure. As for Tonali, we'll have to wait and see. 

While much hasn’t changed with the formation over both seasons, the better coaches will have watched us and figured out a way to exploit our weaknesses, which is what has happened with the gap between the centre backs and Bruno.

Signing a DM would make a lot of sense, it would mean we could shake up our style of play against the better teams away from home by switching from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1 which would both offer the centre back more protection and free up a midfielder to link up with the attack on the counter, which we should be better at with both Gordon and Isak in the team. It would also allow Bruno to get some rest in other games rather than needing him every game.

Plus, it keeps opposition manners having to plan for different scenarios in their preparation to face us.

We don’t need to spend big money on the position, even if it’s a squad player like Wilfred Ndidi who is out of contract could work in improving our away form if money is tight.

Doesn't necessarily need to be an out and out defensive midfielder just a midfielder with good positional sense and a turn of pace.