Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If we were serious about sustaining a top 4 push we would’ve done more in the January window. 

It’s perfectly logical that they see top 4 as a bonus this season and going for it was not their intention and they would be content with us slipping to 7-8 like we may have targeted at the start of the season. 

But I think January was a missed opportunity and likely a mistake. That is also a logical conclusion.  

It wasn’t even about sustaining a top 4 push, Howe admitted we needed a CM before Shelvey left, so to let him go and not get anyone in is a really poor decision.

1 minute ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Not really a fan tbh. Your comments somehow subtract

Maybe if you tried to talk about the comments themselves instead making it all about me for once, might help you mate. Everyone else manages it :lol:

Edited by Aiston

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If we were serious about sustaining a top 4 push we would’ve done more in the January window. 

It’s perfectly logical that they see top 4 as a bonus this season and going for it was not their intention and they would be content with us slipping to 7-8 like we may have targeted at the start of the season. 

But I think January was a missed opportunity and likely a mistake. That is also a logical conclusion.  

We're two points clear with a game in hand. We still look like winning more games than we lose. Looking at our squad before the season we had no right to be pushing top 3-4 and yet here we are. 

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We're two points clear with a game in hand. We still look like winning more games than we lose. Looking at our squad before the season we had no right to be pushing top 3-4 and yet here we are. 

Yes I agree our squad has no right to be pushing for top 4. We’ve done fantastic to be in this position And I don’t think we will finish there. 

Our Xg is midtable over the last 6 games or so. We’ve not scored more than 1 goal in the league in 2023. We’ve drawn something like 5 of the last 7 or 8. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Yes I agree our squad has no right to be pushing for top 4. We’ve done fantastic to be in this position And I don’t think we will finish there. 

Our Xg is midtable over the last 6 games or so. We’ve not scored more than 1 goal in the league in 2023. We’ve drawn something like 5 of the last 7 or 8. 

Another way of looking it is that we're having our sticky patch and we're still looking more like winning games than losing. Leeds, Palace, West Ham...we had the better and clearer chances in all 3. We're not going on 2-3 game losing streaks, we don't look like losing at all and we have a threat in us.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Another way of looking it is that we're having our sticky patch and we're still looking more like winning games than losing. Leeds, Palace, West Ham...we had the better and clearer chances in all 3. 

Still doesn't get us anywhere. We've been found out and need something different ASAP.

Not signing a Shelvey replacement in Jan is just weird, and I wasn't his biggest fan at all.

41 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Dare criticise him even a little? :lol:

Dropped points against against Leeds, Palace, West Ham and Bournemouth, 4 of the worst teams in form.

Poor transfer window hasn't helped him at all mind.

The state of this. 

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Another way of looking it is that we're having our sticky patch and we're still looking more like winning games than losing. Leeds, Palace, West Ham...we had the better and clearer chances in all 3. 

IMHO we are reverting to mean. The issues in our side are systemic. We lack ability on the ball. We lack quality in attack.  All of our attack comes from the right hand side.  We have little quality in depth. 

These are things anyone following our side could’ve predicted.  

Im not trying to look at it negatively. I’m not trying to look at it positively. It’s my analysis of our squad and team

What would people do moving forward? I'm not expecting anything drastic before the cup final, but if we don't beat Liverpool and we lose the final, how would people attempt to salvage things with the squad we've got?

Pope; Trippier, Schär, Botman, Targett; Bruno, Joelinton; Almirón, Isak, Gordon; Wilson in a 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 / 4-4-2 sort of thing, for me, assuming everyone was fit.

Ah yes, not replacing a player who had played a grand sum of 0 minutes this season was a "horrendous" decision.

I'm not saying we don't need a CM, as we do, but Shelvey has had no impact on us this season, so losing him was no massive deal.

The club also clear have a policy of signing their first choice signing, and waiting for that player to become available, and not just filling the gab with someone who may be of lesser quality. We did it with Botman, did it with Gordon, and to a lesser extend did it with Isak.

It's a policy that has very much worked thus far and served us well.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

And that was extremely fortunate.  Again everyone knew, we were unlikely to be so fortunate for the whole season which is why we needed that additional body.  

We're 3 windows into a post-Ashley ownership. An ownership that gave us a a bit of a shitstorm of a squad when they took over. We were never going to have a perfectly balanced squad 15 months in, we're also not going to sign players for the sake of it. 

We could have done what we did the first window in desperation and signed the midfield equivalent of Chris Wood...then what? We look like we tried to loan someone to plug the gap but no-one would loan to us. That doesn't mean we should clear one of two in the meantime to balance the books a bit particularly with FFP even more under scrutiny.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

What’s really dull about the entitlement brigade is that they won’t acknowledge what they just saw: that was a very poor performance. Leeds draw we battered them, arsenal draw was very creditable, Palace draw we battered them without creating, West Ham we edged it. All of those draws are fine and I take no issue with them.

But today we looked like we’d met each other for the first time and couldn’t do the basics. That was just a bad show, stop pretending otherwise.

Just now, Theregulars said:

What’s really dull about the entitlement brigade is that they won’t acknowledge what they just saw: that was a very poor performance. Leeds draw we battered them, arsenal draw was very creditable, Palace draw we battered them without creating, West Ham we edged it. All of those draws are fine and I take no issue with them.

But today we looked like we’d met each other for the first time and couldn’t do the basics. That was just a bad show, stop pretending otherwise.

The way people are going on, this isn't a one-off though.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Shelvey obviously hadn’t barely played for us this season, but he certainly would have over the next few weeks given the current state of the squad. 

The future of NUFC has a far bigger picture than Jonjo Shelvey getting a few minutes here and there this season.